The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    So I use corn syrup in my butter tarts, similar to pecan pie, and the cookies I made this weekend called for corn syrup too. I always feel guilty using it but really we all probably grew up with it in everything and we turned out ok
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Morning all!! Agreed that corn syrup is the devil, but I'm still alive sooooo *shrugs*. Something's going to kill me, might as well be that.
    @AliNouveau that filter looks super cute, love the pic!!!
    @forestfreek I can only eat Kale in a casserole and broccoli with cheeese, so not sure I'm getting the true benefits of either one
  • AliNouveau
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    Morning all!! Agreed that corn syrup is the devil, but I'm still alive sooooo *shrugs*. Something's going to kill me, might as well be that.
    @AliNouveau that filter looks super cute, love the pic!!!
    @forestfreek I can only eat Kale in a casserole and broccoli with cheeese, so not sure I'm getting the true benefits of either one

Fun fact I actually had red hair for high school graduation haha. Decided this was something I wanted to do....haven't since

Ugh kale. It's so popular these days I just can't get into it. Broccoli I love, Brussel sprouts too but kale.... nope
  • AliNouveau
    Good morning, guys.

Hey bakin.... what's Shakin! 🤣😂🤣😂
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    that looks pretty authentic to me
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Pecan Pie is an art. You mess anything up and it turns into a watery mess, soggy crust. I've tried and tried and tried. :p
  • AliNouveau
    edited October 2020
    A little blurry, but these are from a 1951 North Carolina cookbook. :)
    5kfw7xjx79ka.jpg
    f2kkomqwjh07.jpg
    fpz9ylez5ddx.jpg

Yellow sugar. I guess it really is yellow though
    Btw that looks like an awesome book I love old ones like that. My mom has a Mennonite one from her mom, it has instructions for food for a barn raising. I love flipping through it
  • _canadianbakin_
    _canadianbakin_ Posts: 413 Member
    BTW, pecan pie is more of an American thing but I've definitely had it. Sooo so good. I found a Reddit group this morning called old_recipes. Sometimes the oldies are the best.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Good morning middle-agers.. well past hump day for me and on the slide in to the weekend.
    bq5ygw10cgea.jpg

Anyone doing anything fun?
  • leos_daddy
    leos_daddy Posts: 19 Member
    Hi, I'm Jason. I turn 54 2 weeks from now. Yay, Team Scorpio. I'm more in maintenance mode though I could stand to lose about 5-10 more pounds and gain a bit more muscle. Please feel free to add me.
  • AliNouveau
    I don't know what yellow sugar is, but I usually use the light brown sugar and a little maple syrup. That Mennonite cookbook sounds great! I was doing some research when the pandemic started, and found out some of my ancestors were Mennonites from Switzerland, haha! :)

Yellow sugar. I guess it really is yellow though
    Btw that looks like an awesome book I love old ones like that. My mom has a Mennonite one from her mom, it has instructions for food for a barn raising. I love flipping through it[/quote]

[/quote]

Sometimes brown sugar here is called golden brown so I guess it's light brown sugar.

That's neat about your ancestors. Always fun to find something like that out
  • willplanet5
    willplanet5 Posts: 12 Member
    Turned 40 in August!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    leos_daddy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Jason. I turn 54 2 weeks from now. Yay, Team Scorpio. I'm more in maintenance mode though I could stand to lose about 5-10 more pounds and gain a bit more muscle. Please feel free to add me.

Now there's a familiar face.. hi Jason :)
  • DonaldjNelson
    DonaldjNelson Posts: 40 Member
    Just turned 40 last weekend had a blast with family back home. I hope everyone has a great week
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    Love the old cookbook! I did think pecan pie was invented to sell Karo syrup but interesting to find they just made it popular in the 1930s. And yes, I did fall into a Google hole about pecan pie.

Is yellow sugar unbleached, unrefined sugar?

Roll on Thanksgiving...

Feeling my age today (and then some) as I slipped and fell this morning and think I may have bruised everything. I twisted my ankle a bit yesterday and think it just made it a bit easier for a full fall on my *kitten* today.

Anyway hope everyone has a lovely Thursday.

• FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    I did not fall on my kitten for the record.

One, she is hardly a kitten anymore, no matter what she tells people and two, it probably would have been the end of her if I had! :D
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    I did not fall on my kitten for the record.

One, she is hardly a kitten anymore, no matter what she tells people and two, it probably would have been the end of her if I had! :D

Hahaha your poor kitty!
    Hope you're ok though, sounds painful!

Absolutely rotten day here today, rain lashing on the window, heater's on. Doubt very much I'll get my walk in today. But I got myself a good old aerobic step this week so I can always put my leotard on and do a YouTube step class later on.
    But first I'm trying to make myself start on this bugger of a tender, that's been sitting in my inbox for way too long already - uuuurgh!

I'm laughing at the mess I caused with my comment on the corn syrup! I don't know it at all, except from the horror movies like "the truth about sugar".
  • AliNouveau
    @FutureFit2020 hope you're ok. Last time I slipped in my kitchen I majorly sprained my ankle. Hope you faired better

@LunaTheFatCat I love the leotard image, I hope you add legwarmers. I'm a huge fan of legwarmers

We just have a grey day ahead. Apparently snow could be on its way in the very near future