Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Introduce Yourself
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• FutureFit2020FutureFit2020 Member Posts: 128 Member Member Posts: 128 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Just dragged my family for flu shots. I was lucky enough I have booked appointments the day they offered them. We also go lucky they had it, apparently yesterday they didn't get enough and had to cancel everyone. I also found batteries that I needed and couldn't find at another store so yay!

Strange times that this is a genuinely a decent life win. :D
    Oooo @AliNouveau I love your new profile pic, gorgeous colour on you!
    Apparently it's hard to get flu shots here as well. Haven't tried myself but from what I've heard anyway.

It's so cold here this morning, I have the heater on already and it's not even 9am yet. Ah well, more coffee I suppose!

And here's another pecan pie virgin! I suppose we wouldn't really have that this side of the ocean. Not even sure to be honest.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/pecan-pie.html Here is a 'this side of the pond' friendly recipe if you fancy losing your pie virginity. It's lovely this time of year. We'd traditionally use corn syrup (practically a vegetable see! :D ) but this uses golden syrup which I think you can get in Ireland. You're in Ireland right? Or have I made that up?)

We've had the heat on aggges now. I don't handle the cold well. At all. It basically goes off for a week in August :D
  • LunaTheFatCatLunaTheFatCat Member Posts: 237 Member Member Posts: 237 Member
    Oooo @AliNouveau I love your new profile pic, gorgeous colour on you!
    Apparently it's hard to get flu shots here as well. Haven't tried myself but from what I've heard anyway.

It's so cold here this morning, I have the heater on already and it's not even 9am yet. Ah well, more coffee I suppose!

And here's another pecan pie virgin! I suppose we wouldn't really have that this side of the ocean. Not even sure to be honest.

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/pecan-pie.html Here is a 'this side of the pond' friendly recipe if you fancy losing your pie virginity. It's lovely this time of year. We'd traditionally use corn syrup (practically a vegetable see! :D ) but this uses golden syrup which I think you can get in Ireland. You're in Ireland right? Or have I made that up?)

We've had the heat on aggges now. I don't handle the cold well. At all. It basically goes off for a week in August :D

Looks delicious! Wouldn't mind trying that! And yes I'm in Ireland so golden syrup would work. I thought corn syrup was completely demonized nowadays actually!
    I was joking, corn syrup will definitely kill you. :D but we don't eat it very often!
  • balanc41balanc41 Member Posts: 1,508 Member Member Posts: 1,508 Member
    Good morning sexy people! I’m up! Why am I up this early on my day off? I’m glad you asked!! I still want to see changes and that doesn’t happen by taking a day off! Let’s make it count today! Oh yeah Happy Hump Day!
  • forestfreekforestfreek Member Posts: 5,658 Member Member Posts: 5,658 Member
    Good morning everyone :)
    My iPhone went kaput last night so I'm venturing out to get a new phone today. I hate getting used to new technology so this should be fun.....LOL.

@balanc41 - enjoy your day off!
    @AliNouveau - very cool hair:)

Have a great day, all :*
  • AliNouveauAliNouveau Member Posts: 36,287 Member Member Posts: 36,287 Member
    Good morning everyone :)
    My iPhone went kaput last night so I'm venturing out to get a new phone today. I hate getting used to new technology so this should be fun.....LOL.

@balanc41 - enjoy your day off!
    @AliNouveau - very cool hair:)

Have a great day, all :*

Haha it's a filter. But now I'm wondering if I should break my rule of crazy hair colours cause this looks kinda fun
    So I use corn syrup in my butter tarts, similar to pecan pie, and the cookies I made this weekend called for corn syrup too. I always feel guilty using it but really we all probably grew up with it in everything and we turned out ok
  • cgrout78cgrout78 Member Posts: 1,679 Member Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Morning all!! Agreed that corn syrup is the devil, but I'm still alive sooooo *shrugs*. Something's going to kill me, might as well be that.
    @AliNouveau that filter looks super cute, love the pic!!!
    @forestfreek I can only eat Kale in a casserole and broccoli with cheeese, so not sure I'm getting the true benefits of either one
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    Morning all!! Agreed that corn syrup is the devil, but I'm still alive sooooo *shrugs*. Something's going to kill me, might as well be that.
    @AliNouveau that filter looks super cute, love the pic!!!
    @forestfreek I can only eat Kale in a casserole and broccoli with cheeese, so not sure I'm getting the true benefits of either one

Fun fact I actually had red hair for high school graduation haha. Decided this was something I wanted to do....haven't since

Ugh kale. It's so popular these days I just can't get into it. Broccoli I love, Brussel sprouts too but kale.... nope
    Good morning, guys.

Hey bakin.... what's Shakin! 🤣😂🤣😂
  • cgrout78cgrout78 Member Posts: 1,679 Member Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    that looks pretty authentic to me
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 32,351 Member Member Posts: 32,351 Member
    Pecan Pie is an art. You mess anything up and it turns into a watery mess, soggy crust. I've tried and tried and tried. :p
    A little blurry, but these are from a 1951 North Carolina cookbook. :)
    5kfw7xjx79ka.jpg
    f2kkomqwjh07.jpg
    fpz9ylez5ddx.jpg

Yellow sugar. I guess it really is yellow though
    Btw that looks like an awesome book I love old ones like that. My mom has a Mennonite one from her mom, it has instructions for food for a barn raising. I love flipping through it
    edited October 2020
  • _canadianbakin__canadianbakin_ Member Posts: 378 Member Member Posts: 378 Member
    BTW, pecan pie is more of an American thing but I've definitely had it. Sooo so good. I found a Reddit group this morning called old_recipes. Sometimes the oldies are the best.
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Member, Premium Posts: 261,305 Member Member, Premium Posts: 261,305 Member
    Good morning middle-agers.. well past hump day for me and on the slide in to the weekend.
    bq5ygw10cgea.jpg

Anyone doing anything fun?
  • leos_daddyleos_daddy Member Posts: 9 Member Member Posts: 9 Member
    Hi, I'm Jason. I turn 54 2 weeks from now. Yay, Team Scorpio. I'm more in maintenance mode though I could stand to lose about 5-10 more pounds and gain a bit more muscle. Please feel free to add me.
    I don't know what yellow sugar is, but I usually use the light brown sugar and a little maple syrup. That Mennonite cookbook sounds great! I was doing some research when the pandemic started, and found out some of my ancestors were Mennonites from Switzerland, haha! :)

Yellow sugar. I guess it really is yellow though
    Btw that looks like an awesome book I love old ones like that. My mom has a Mennonite one from her mom, it has instructions for food for a barn raising. I love flipping through it[/quote]

[/quote]

Sometimes brown sugar here is called golden brown so I guess it's light brown sugar.

That's neat about your ancestors. Always fun to find something like that out