Losing mobility

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    You will see your biggest health benefit from losing weight. Every 5 lbs will show you an improvement. I'm 65 and move a lot. I love swimming and that helps with many of the problems you are describing. However, I agree that talking to your doctor about exercise is key, since movement is painful. You start slow--5 mins, then 10, then 15, of whatever you choose to do. You don't want an injury on top of the problems you already have. Check out the stickies, especially the "Sexy Pants" thread. Get a digital food scale, and start weighing and measuring your food and drink. That will help you the most. Good luck to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The payoff is in the future. Current Ann is maybe mildly annoyed and inconvenienced, but future Ann has a much, much better shot at health, vitality, independence and happiness - those things will be a BIG thing, for future me. I need to care about her, or I'm essentially buying my way into future difficulty and pain, via current unwillingness to change.

It's human nature to value current self's pleasure over misty future possibilities.

But weight management is like so many other things we do in life: Maybe we save up for a downpayment on a house, giving ups some little niceties to do so. We slog our way through education or entry-level jobs, to build a long-term career. We save up some money for retirement, giving up some earlier-life pleasures in order to have more comfortable later age. And so forth.

Current self, caring about future self, investing in her. Weight management is that sort of thing.

Current Ann is on a roll lately. Well stated!

There’s a lot of people on this forum that are in their 60’s, even 70’s, who have turned it around.

I’m a baby at 58, but seeing my mom bedridden first years, eventually spoonfed and diaper changed, because of failure to acknowledge diabetes was galvanizing for me.

My husband said something to me a few years back, as I was crying at the failure to perfect some corner of a little house we renovated together. “It’s better than it was before.”

You may not make yourself perfect, but can you shoot for better than you were before?

Yes, my OH's mother was a clear warning about "Use It Or Lose It" - she was increasingly sedentary, and unable to get to the bathroom by herself, ended up in a nursing home, was not motivated to do PT, and eventually in diapers :(

I'm just glad she passed in 2016. 2020 would have been dreadful for her.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 Thanks for the kind words. I must say your posts always inspire me. I so appreciate everyone who takes the time to share their stories and tips and hints. You can often find something that you can apply to your own journey. I only wish I had started years earlier but you can't change the past...at least not that I know of! :) I guess you're ready when you're ready.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    You can’t change your past. But can you change your future?

You’re darn tootin right you can.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @nordukes - ideally you would be working with a PT, but here's a video that might help with mobility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnaxj4ejDdM

It's 30 minutes. I don't imagine you'd make it through in one shot, and frankly suggest you not try. You could take a break in between individual exercises, or in between sides, whatever you need to do.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @kshama2001 i am so sorry your husband and your had to go through it, too.

It was so frustrating watching her just give up. She always said one day people would wait on her hand and foot. I think in some wierd way she enjoyed it til it got out of hand. It was maddening watching her happily create her own prison and then sink into depression because she couldn’t do anything. She couldn’t even move her hands and arms at the end. Nose itch? Someone had to scratch it for her.

Not for me. I will go down fighting.

@springlering62 - this sounds SO much like his mother :(