Coronavirus prep

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,970 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Really the person buying the wine should be the only one checked.. bit odd. I never take my phone or purse anywhere usually if with dh. I don't really need to.

that is not the case in SA.

Any situation where there is a possibility of an adult buying for a minor, both parties will have ID checked.

and sale to the adult can be refused if the person with them is a minor who could be the real reciprient of the purchase.

so, somebody posted what about if you have a baby or young child you can't leave outside the shop?

Rule wouldnt apply as there is no realistic possibility of the alcohol being purchased for the infant.

(yes I realise this has no relevance to US poster's situation - but just to answer point raised in quoted post.)

I didn't say anything about going in or buying for a minor. Of course they'd check if that was the case. I am over 50 and so is dh so why you even said this I don't get. I was talking about a couple of ADULTS going in together as the OP did. NO kids involved. Just her and partner! Where are the kids in this?

It was just a general clarification following your comment - "Only the one buying should be checked" - it wasnt a comment on your specific experience.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    We also have some new questions on our form that we fill out daily whether we are teleworking or coming to the office. Any yes answer on the form requires the employee to get a covid test and self quarantine for 14 days (can telework if their work can be done by that means)...the two added questions are do you have a runny nose or diarrhea? Fall allergies here are pretty common and just about everyone has a runny nose in the fall...that question alone just put about 70% of our workforce into quarantine starting today. I'm also hearing some chatter of people possibly using this as a work around for having to quarantine for 14 days using vacation time for having out of state visitors in that they see it as a responsible thing to quarantine...but instead of saying it's for visitors, they'll just say they have a runny nose so they can still work at home while responsibly quarantining.

Our daily self-screen questionnaire has the runny nose question but includes the phrase "not due to seasonal allergies".

We have to ask permission to leave our district but fortunately it's a very large district.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I think my work just made a mistake. In order to strongly discourage employees from either traveling out of state or having visitors from out of state for Thanksgiving or Christmas, they are requiring 14 days of quarantine if you travel or have out of state visitors...that's actually nothing new...the new wrinkle is that instead of teleworking for those 2 weeks as has been done previously, you are now required to use your annual leave and get written permission from on high to either travel or have someone out of state travel to you.

For the most part, from what I've heard around the water cooler and break room is that most people aren't planning on anything big...but so and so's kid will be visiting from Texas or so and so's husband's mom will be visiting from Arizona, etc...but by and large people don't seem to be planning large get togethers.

The punitive nature of this new mandate is already causing problems, and it's only Monday afternoon. I'm in management and I'm already getting things like, "my husband doesn't care if I have permission or not, he told me that he's not your employee and his mom will be visiting from Texas for Christmas." We also have a lot of employees with grown children who live out of state and while not planning a big tadoo for the holidays, they will be visiting back home. One of those people is our primary IT guy and he's basically said, "fine...I'll use my annual leave, but don't bother calling, because my phone and email will be off if I'm on a forced vacation." Another employee is upset because his sister lives in state, but works in southern Colorado so she commutes out of state daily and as such is considered to be an "out of state" visitor.

The bigger issue I think is that you're going to basically have a lot of people just lying about it and saying they aren't traveling or hosting out of state visitors when they really are and thus avoiding any quarantine period whatsoever, when in the past they would have complied with the quarantine period and just teleworked. On the other side, you're going to have people comply...and fully comply in that since they are on annual leave, they will not be available and responding to emails or phone calls.

We also have some new questions on our form that we fill out daily whether we are teleworking or coming to the office. Any yes answer on the form requires the employee to get a covid test and self quarantine for 14 days (can telework if their work can be done by that means)...the two added questions are do you have a runny nose or diarrhea? Fall allergies here are pretty common and just about everyone has a runny nose in the fall...that question alone just put about 70% of our workforce into quarantine starting today. I'm also hearing some chatter of people possibly using this as a work around for having to quarantine for 14 days using vacation time for having out of state visitors in that they see it as a responsible thing to quarantine...but instead of saying it's for visitors, they'll just say they have a runny nose so they can still work at home while responsibly quarantining.

I think the higher ups made a bigger mess of all of this than it already was...I'm hoping they might walk back some of it.

@cwolfman13 My company put something similar in place in Aug. It is a bit less restrictive than what you described, though. Basically, if you travel to a "red zone state," you can't come into a facility for 14 days. The corporate policy doesn't specify whether you take leave or WFH, but my location's HR manager has decided that nobody is allowed to WFH no matter what. I've been able to get an exception approved from way above her head (VP and General Manager of our division) to WFH anyway, but it has become this whole big political issue. Anyway, the "red zone state" list is updated each Monday morning and includes all states with a 10% or higher positivity rate for the prior 7 days. If we live in a state on the red zone list, we are exempted for that state. But not other states. I'm in TN, which is on that list. Our plant is close to AR, MO, and KY. Anyone who lives in those states is able to go to/from home without concern. But people who want to go to MO to buy beer (this is actually a thing people do) or wherever are technically not supposed to come back to work for 2 weeks whenever MO is on that list (it has been most or all of the time since that policy was made). Everyone travels around just as much as they always did, but they talk about it less now.

No way to enforce. HR gone awry IMO.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I just saw this online. I am sure that people want to spend Thanksgiving with friends and families, I do; however, it is risky. Better staying home enjoying the turkey on your own or with only people already in your bubble.

Yes, I get it is not fun and it is depressing, but I think that being in the hospital with tubes up your…. may be worse.

Don't rely on a negative test result to see your family for Thanksgiving
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/health/thanksgiving-family-covid-testing-wellness/index.html

My key takeaway:

"The study estimated that during four days of infection before symptoms typically started, the probability of getting an incorrect/negative test result on Day 1 was 100%."

All those same %'s were in the MIT article I put up a few weeks ago. Those %'s and facts are not new info. But its good to have it brought up again as a reminder!
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I think my work just made a mistake. In order to strongly discourage employees from either traveling out of state or having visitors from out of state for Thanksgiving or Christmas, they are requiring 14 days of quarantine if you travel or have out of state visitors...that's actually nothing new...the new wrinkle is that instead of teleworking for those 2 weeks as has been done previously, you are now required to use your annual leave and get written permission from on high to either travel or have someone out of state travel to you.

For the most part, from what I've heard around the water cooler and break room is that most people aren't planning on anything big...but so and so's kid will be visiting from Texas or so and so's husband's mom will be visiting from Arizona, etc...but by and large people don't seem to be planning large get togethers.

The punitive nature of this new mandate is already causing problems, and it's only Monday afternoon. I'm in management and I'm already getting things like, "my husband doesn't care if I have permission or not, he told me that he's not your employee and his mom will be visiting from Texas for Christmas." We also have a lot of employees with grown children who live out of state and while not planning a big tadoo for the holidays, they will be visiting back home. One of those people is our primary IT guy and he's basically said, "fine...I'll use my annual leave, but don't bother calling, because my phone and email will be off if I'm on a forced vacation." Another employee is upset because his sister lives in state, but works in southern Colorado so she commutes out of state daily and as such is considered to be an "out of state" visitor.

The bigger issue I think is that you're going to basically have a lot of people just lying about it and saying they aren't traveling or hosting out of state visitors when they really are and thus avoiding any quarantine period whatsoever, when in the past they would have complied with the quarantine period and just teleworked. On the other side, you're going to have people comply...and fully comply in that since they are on annual leave, they will not be available and responding to emails or phone calls.

I think the higher ups made a bigger mess of all of this than it already was...I'm hoping they might walk back some of it.

I am constantly shocked about how people/companies/government don't always foresee the potential unintended responses they trigger with their edicts.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Eldest Son is quarantining in his end of my mom's big house because he goes to welding school with people who don't believe in masks.

ggiyy1d70n72.png

Alex, how many times do I have to tell you to pull that mask down?! Do you want to burn your retinas? Or get covid?

Nah, welders don't need masks... That's just big government forcing people to stay alive and not injured! (sarcasm)

0dhx7nm4r6hp.jpg

ETA: I realize this guy is cutting, not welding... still probably should be wearing some safety goggles and probably doing this in a location slightly further from the propane.

Yup. I was wondering if he lost the key to the padlock and felt this was his only option. I'm risk averse. I'd pony up for a locksmith.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

I would have been on quarantine since September. My fall allergies have been horrid this year. Since September I have been dealing with a runny OR stuff nose and cough. I have been Covid tested during this time and it was negative (due to possible exposure). Since the weather turned cold again (yay) it has gotten better but I still have a slight cough and sinus congestion.

Indiana update from yesterday...

5,218 NEW cases
    26 NEW deaths
    11.7% positive test rate over the last 7 days
    26.2% ICU bed availability statewide

In some areas though, we literally do not have any hospital beds. None. Not ICU and not anywhere else. These hospitals can not take in any more patients so they are having to send people elsewhere or turn them away. They are having to cancel procedures because they have no where to put them.

Schools are closing more and more each day because SO many students and faculty are out due to exposures. They don't have enough teachers or aides to run classes in person or even supervise the kids. So virtual learning it must be.

Central Indiana schools are not closing for that reason - they are closing because the mayor of Indianapolis demanded that we go back to virtual regardless of how many people are out in your school or the safety plans that are in place. Tertiary hospitals are close to capacity, but many of the Covid patients who are being sent to other hospitals aren't being done because of lack of space (though lets be honest those tertiary hospitals in the rural areas are not meant for any type of capacity, more often for small illnesses and stabilization before being sent to another hospital), but rather that they need more care which those hospitals can't provide. Our hospitals are also being impacted by hospitalizations that have nothing to do with Covid as fall is typically a time of year when we see increases in our hospital census anyway. Am I saying there's not a rise in Covid currently? No but it's good news that most of the new admissions for Covid are not that serious as at one hospital group only 36% of vents and 21% of HFNC are being utilized. And at least some hospitals have ICU beds open so let's not freak people out and be all judgmental. Maybe we should focus on the positives.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Eldest Son is quarantining in his end of my mom's big house because he goes to welding school with people who don't believe in masks.

ggiyy1d70n72.png

Alex, how many times do I have to tell you to pull that mask down?! Do you want to burn your retinas? Or get covid?

Nah, welders don't need masks... That's just big government forcing people to stay alive and not injured! (sarcasm)

0dhx7nm4r6hp.jpg

ETA: I realize this guy is cutting, not welding... still probably should be wearing some safety goggles and probably doing this in a location slightly further from the propane.

Yup. I was wondering if he lost the key to the padlock and felt this was his only option. I'm risk averse. I'd pony up for a locksmith.

I don't think that is it. It looks like he is cutting this piece of metal and didn't have a bench to set it on while he cut it, so opted to set it down on top of this propane cabinet. I don't think it is attached to anything presently.