What bad decisions did you make today?

Options

Replies

• JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    - Watched a bunch of declutter/minimalist/zero-waste videos on YT. Realized I'll never be like them because I live in a house with two other people who value stuff too much to be willing to work on getting rid of it.
    - Felt bad because my home will probably never get to that level/we'll never be minimal/zero waste people. I can't change other people, after all.

I understand this so much! I told me husband we should have a joint/house goal for 2021 to reduce how often we put out garbage (baby steps right?) and he pretty much scoffed at me and said we already put out a little garbage amount (usually 1 big bag a week plus recycling) and when I said but we can do better he was not thrilled about the idea. Le sigh.
    - Watched a bunch of declutter/minimalist/zero-waste videos on YT. Realized I'll never be like them because I live in a house with two other people who value stuff too much to be willing to work on getting rid of it.
    - Felt bad because my home will probably never get to that level/we'll never be minimal/zero waste people. I can't change other people, after all.

I understand this so much! I told me husband we should have a joint/house goal for 2021 to reduce how often we put out garbage (baby steps right?) and he pretty much scoffed at me and said we already put out a little garbage amount (usually 1 big bag a week plus recycling) and when I said but we can do better he was not thrilled about the idea. Le sigh.

Yep, that's where I am. I already notice I put out way less garbage per week than most of my neighbors, but I know I/we could do better. I just don't think my spouse has the same list of priorities (which I get, but obviously find frustrating).

I am helping with declutter by trading away books I've read or that we don't want for ones I want instead of buying them new. I sometimes go through my media and pick CDs and DVDs I never watch or games we've all played already and sell them to a site that resells them, but will give me some money back for them. I donate things or give them away by posting on local sites to put out feelers for who might want the perfectly usable things I have (but am not using), but I still feel like I could always be doing more to minimize. And of course, I can only minimize my things, not my spouse's stuff (and he keeps every little sentimental thing) nor my kid's stuff (unless he wants to let it go), so there's a fair bit of clutter lying about. And it aggravates me.

@KosmosKitten @fstrickl

I think it's awesome that you ladies are making an effort! The intention is there and the action is following.

The hardest part for me is when you buy products that are less wasteful and they don't work as well. I got tired of using disposable dish sponges so I went and purchased (more expensive) reusable / biodegradable / washable dish cleaner sponge / rag thingys and I'm sorry to say that they don't get the job done nearly as well. They don't scrub and barely lather.

I want to be less wasteful, but the innovation in some of these eco friendly products is somewhat behind when compared to the stuff we've been using for decades.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    @Yoshiboobs My foot is perfectly fine. It didn't even swell like the paramedics said it would! I feel like there should have been more damage from A CAR RUNNING OVER MY FOOT! :)

@KickassAmazon76 One of my favorite Harry Styles lines (yeah, I admit it) "Physically, I'm fine but emotionally I'm bruised."

@MaltedTea He kept going. The witnesses said he knew but still didn't stop. They ran after him to get the license plate but the cops said it didn't come up in their search. LOL no, they didn't offer a ride but, except for the limp, I was fine. Did I mention the loss of exercise time? :)

And just because this is my favorite part of the report....

I was telling the cop how I had the light but the guy didn't stop and made the turn.

Him: Did you press the button?
    Me: No.
    Him: Why not?
    Me: Because we're in a pandemic and there are signs all over the place saying, "Don't press the button".

My teenage wannabe writer but totally sucked at it self was pretty proud. :)
  • 1HugoG
    1HugoG Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Taking the subway.

I ate 3 small slices of really good ham!!
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    - I bought bagels. I didn't need bagels, but they were pumpkin spice and I genuinely love all things pumpkin flavored (especially if it actually tastes like a pumpkin roll/spice cake). Oops. I may freeze them and pull them out one at a time. Might be a better idea than have them sitting on my toaster oven, taunting me.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    JessBbody wrote: »

Yep, that's where I am. I already notice I put out way less garbage per week than most of my neighbors, but I know I/we could do better. I just don't think my spouse has the same list of priorities (which I get, but obviously find frustrating).

I am helping with declutter by trading away books I've read or that we don't want for ones I want instead of buying them new. I sometimes go through my media and pick CDs and DVDs I never watch or games we've all played already and sell them to a site that resells them, but will give me some money back for them. I donate things or give them away by posting on local sites to put out feelers for who might want the perfectly usable things I have (but am not using), but I still feel like I could always be doing more to minimize. And of course, I can only minimize my things, not my spouse's stuff (and he keeps every little sentimental thing) nor my kid's stuff (unless he wants to let it go), so there's a fair bit of clutter lying about. And it aggravates me.

@KosmosKitten @fstrickl

I think it's awesome that you ladies are making an effort! The intention is there and the action is following.

The hardest part for me is when you buy products that are less wasteful and they don't work as well. I got tired of using disposable dish sponges so I went and purchased (more expensive) reusable / biodegradable / washable dish cleaner sponge / rag thingys and I'm sorry to say that they don't get the job done nearly as well. They don't scrub and barely lather.

I want to be less wasteful, but the innovation in some of these eco friendly products is somewhat behind when compared to the stuff we've been using for decades.

And packaging!!! :s

I recently bought a couple of larger items, one a storage unit, on Amazon. I ended up with THREE extra garbage bags containing only massive chunks of styrofoam, which can't be recycled here. Since I can only put out two bags a week and my regular household garbage is one of those, that was three weeks of putting out an extra bag.

To make matters worse the styrofoam bags were so light and likely to blow across the street in the four hours between getting put at the curb and garbage pick-up, so I had to figure out a way to weight them to stay put.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

@KosmosKitten @fstrickl

I really try to use the crap out of our current products instead of springing for eco friendly stuff. Mainly because the way I look at it, if I am actively using it and it's not in a landfill, then that's still a win for the environment. I just don't see a point in throwing away say, all my beat up Tupperware and empty lunch meat containers simply because they aren't aesthetically pleasing or bio-degradable. I mean, I know they'll end up in a landfill someday once they are worn out, but I've had some of these plastic containers over a decade and still get use out of them.

Also, why would I buy a bamboo cutlery set when I have stainless steel cutlery and a tiny titanium camping spork that will do just as well (for camping or on-the-go events).

Honestly, what I would really love is if I could ever manage to live in a place that did zero/minimal waste groceries. A bulk supplier that let me bring in my own jars, weigh them, etc. Similar to Nada's in Vancouver. But sadly, I never seem to live in a place that has access to that. Heck, I currently live in a place where there are no bulk purchase places and the nearest Trader Joe's or Whole Foods is in another state (2 hours away). There's nothing like a WinCo here or anything that specializes in bulk buying staple pantry items.

I don't need a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods, but they came to mind as places where I could buy some items in bulk and just bring my own jars.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Evidently, ignoring a restraining order is not in everyone's best interest.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

@KosmosKitten @fstrickl

And packaging!!! :s

I recently bought a couple of larger items, one a storage unit, on Amazon. I ended up with THREE extra garbage bags containing only massive chunks of styrofoam, which can't be recycled here. Since I can only put out two bags a week and my regular household garbage is one of those, that was three weeks of putting out an extra bag.

To make matters worse the styrofoam bags were so light and likely to blow across the street in the four hours between getting put at the curb and garbage pick-up, so I had to figure out a way to weight them to stay put.

It's amazing how much packaging they can stuff into a box. We bought a bathroom vanity and took it out to make sure it's not broken. It took me 4 trips to the basement to carry all the styrofoam, cardboard and misc. pieces of garbage. I have to make a trip to the dump once I'm out of quarantine and I doubt my Toyota Corolla will fit all the garbage. :( But the upside is, not 1 plastic straw among all that garbage. :)
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I lost my patience with mom after telling her a few times and in different ways: Yes you DO have checks that need to be deposited. Yes this IS YOUR MONEY, it's not mine. No you DONT owe money.

After going to the bank, I put myself in timeout and am listening to music. Mom is watching tv in her room.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Decided to redecorate and repaint the kitchen and do a deep clean of the whole downstairs instead of actually doing any of the huge list of things I had planned to do which are actually important like renewal of my driving licence and insurance.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    I went on break w/out looking to see who was available to cover calls. :#

So far manager has not said anything. Here's hoping that continues.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting in the reserved parking for mcd pickup. Another. 10hr day down with another 5 or 6 left and two kids to feed... So I went easy. 😞

Extenuating circumstances.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Sloppy two-a-day training and not enough protein all while helping host a national virtual conference.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    Ate chips and a brownie and im about to have Mexican :#
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    Ate chips and a brownie and im about to have Mexican :#

mmmmm sounds tasty, though

Brownie not so much, but I was sure to eat the whole thing
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Accidentally hit the hang up button on my earbuds after being on the phone with direct TV for over 1hr30m, because someone was trying to talk to me after I repeatedly told them to wait...

Don't ever get direct TV for all that you love...

Or Comcast.
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Skipped the salad and settled on this for lunchq8ekeds9pwyc.jpg

I’d be more impressed if you had opted for this...

3ue4gkioojgu.jpeg
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    tmantwo wrote: »
    Skipped the salad and settled on this for lunchq8ekeds9pwyc.jpg

I’d be more impressed if you had opted for this...

3ue4gkioojgu.jpeg

Totally! That other one is so tiny.