Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    Jill, stress knitting sounds like fun! Are you a seasoned knitter or is it a new challenge?
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    Jill, stress knitting sounds like fun! Are you a seasoned knitter or is it a new challenge?

I’m pretty new at it. I can only knit 🧣. Do you knit? I taught myself via Youtube
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    I have been fixated upon my singular goal of getting this body below 300 lbs.
    Well that goal is clearly in view now with a last recorded weight of 304 lbs, about a month ahead of schedule!

I have been thinking about the rest of the battle ahead and the strategy to defeat the flab...

This is the strategy.
    To keep to the same calorie deficit program with updates at each "milestone".
    To try to push my weight training to higher levels and incorporate as much cardio as I can without killing my knee joints.
    The milestones are as follows:
    299 lbs by 3rd January 2021
    275 lbs by 28th March 2021
    255 lbs by 6th June 2021
    239 lbs by 1st August 2021
    221 lbs by 3rd October 2021
    203 lbs by 5th December 2021
    196 lbs by 2nd January 2022

I know this is quite ambitious but these are my milestones for the battle.
    My weight standing at 304 lbs at the moment gives me a good chance to get a head start. This also will help when I hit the inevitable plateaus, it will give me some chance to correct things before I lose too much ground.

If I hit the "milestones" then great, celebrations all round. If I should miss the milestone deadline then I am not going to beat myself up over it. The end goal is the important part, not the journey to get there!
  • jm216
    Awesome goals! We’re here to cheer you on your journey!!

Jill👍👍
  • cpnknight
    Not been the best of weeks this week but as usual on a Sunday morning, Scaly Beast time.
    With the beast released the verdict is in...

Weight was 304 lbs....Now 299 lbs....5 lbs loss

MILESTONE REACHED!

I have had a mahoosive 5 lbs loss this week. I think this was due to being very ill earlier in the week.
    The challenge for this coming week will be to try to keep the weight below that awful 300!

So it is a good riddance to the 300s and a huge hello to the 200s
  • jm216
    Way to go, Tone!! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

You deserve 5 stars!!

Jill
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 228.9 on 6/1/2020
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 180
    6/1– 228.9
    6/4– 227.9
    6/9– 226.7
    6/14-225.3
    6/22-225.0
    6/28-224.2
    7/2—223.3
    7/6—223.2
    7/13–221.6
    7/20–218.4
    7/26–217.7
    8/9—218.1
    8/16–216.4
    8/24–216.7
    8/30–216.2
    9/6—212.5
    9/13-212.0
    9/20-213.2
    9/27-212.9
    10/4-211.4
    10/11-212.3
    10/18-210.7
    10/25-213.4
    11/1 - 214.0
    11/8 - 213.9
    11/15 -212.6
    11/22–212.3
    11/29–210.7

1.6 pound loss during Thanksgiving week. No that is awesome!

Jill💫
  • Tugsandpull
    Tugsandpull Posts: 40 Member
    Add me in
  • daydrem_dw
    jm216 wrote: »

I’m pretty new at it. I can only knit 🧣. Do you knit? I taught myself via Youtube

My Meme taught me the basics of knitting when I was young, and crochet. I took to crocheting more easily than knitting, though I haven’t picked up needles or hook in a very long time. I wonder if it’s like riding a bike? I never thought to look to YouTube for reminders.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    @cpnknight huge congrats on reaching your 200's early!! great job. You are inspiring me with your perseverance. I struggle with consistency but am learning to be a little more flexible and still stay within my food requirements. Excellent job!!
  • jm216
    Add me in

Welcome to the group! 😁
    Post as often as you’d like.

Jill
  • jm216

My Meme taught me the basics of knitting when I was young, and crochet. I took to crocheting more easily than knitting, though I haven’t picked up needles or hook in a very long time. I wonder if it’s like riding a bike? I never thought to look to YouTube for reminders.

I like that you can watch it over and over. 👍
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,151 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    I have been fixated upon my singular goal of getting this body below 300 lbs.
    Well that goal is clearly in view now with a last recorded weight of 304 lbs, about a month ahead of schedule!

I have been thinking about the rest of the battle ahead and the strategy to defeat the flab...

This is the strategy.
    To keep to the same calorie deficit program with updates at each "milestone".
    To try to push my weight training to higher levels and incorporate as much cardio as I can without killing my knee joints.
    The milestones are as follows:
    299 lbs by 3rd January 2021
    275 lbs by 28th March 2021
    255 lbs by 6th June 2021
    239 lbs by 1st August 2021
    221 lbs by 3rd October 2021
    203 lbs by 5th December 2021
    196 lbs by 2nd January 2022

I know this is quite ambitious but these are my milestones for the battle.
    My weight standing at 304 lbs at the moment gives me a good chance to get a head start. This also will help when I hit the inevitable plateaus, it will give me some chance to correct things before I lose too much ground.

If I hit the "milestones" then great, celebrations all round. If I should miss the milestone deadline then I am not going to beat myself up over it. The end goal is the important part, not the journey to get there!

Congratulations! We seem to be on similar journeys.
    I started on July 10th of this year at 330 pounds, and I've set a goal of weighing 230 on July 10th 2021. That's roughly a 2 lb/week pace. So far, I've lost 41 lbs in 20 weeks (my present weight is 288 lbs).

I have knee issues as well, so swimming is my preferred activity, but that's not an option currently, with my gym being closed due to the pandemic. My alternative is riding an indoor recumbent bike for cardio. I'm starting to add some strength training as well, but fat loss is my primary goal.

I developed a Google sheet that I use to capture my daily weight, fat mass, lean mass, etc. (using a Withings Body+ scale). Having a chart of my progress helps me stick to the program (it's a long road and I must remain committed).
    Here is my chart: my fat loss project
  • daydrem_dw
    Sunday Funday on a Monday

Three Weeks Ago: 195.2
    Two Weeks Ago: 195.0
    Last Week: 194.0
    Today: 195.0

I’d be upset by this lack of progress, but after 3 days of Turkey Day goodness I expected much worse!

Goals for this week — repeat from last week (more water, more walks).
  • cpnknight
    Sunday Funday on a Monday

Three Weeks Ago: 195.2
    Two Weeks Ago: 195.0
    Last Week: 194.0
    Today: 195.0

I’d be upset by this lack of progress, but after 3 days of Turkey Day goodness I expected much worse!

Goals for this week — repeat from last week (more water, more walks).

I am assuming that this was thanks giving...
    It was just a pound so not too bad a result, as long as you enjoyed yourself
  • daydrem_dw
    General inquiry / observation

Why are so many of the brand name items with the green verified check not correct in the food lookup? For example, the package says 110 calories for 2 tbsp but the verified MFP entry shows 100 calories for 2 tbsp; 12 chips are 170 cal but MFP says 160 cal. It's almost never more than the packaging, though. I can be obsessive about these sorts of details and it's making me CRAZY.

New goal for this week--stop sweating the small stuff; add a smidge to make the numbers work.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    General inquiry / observation

Why are so many of the brand name items with the green verified check not correct in the food lookup? For example, the package says 110 calories for 2 tbsp but the verified MFP entry shows 100 calories for 2 tbsp; 12 chips are 170 cal but MFP says 160 cal. It's almost never more than the packaging, though. I can be obsessive about these sorts of details and it's making me CRAZY.

New goal for this week--stop sweating the small stuff; add a smidge to make the numbers work.

Green check just means multiple users have confirmed it as correct. (I don't recall the exact number it takes, but believe it's single digit). Besides that, product formulations change over time, so it may be an older entry that was once correct; and this site is used internationally and product formulations can differ between countries (even for same-branded items).

Once we check a thing, and get the right one in our "frequent foods", it gets to be less effort. The frequently-eaten foods are there, and only new ones need to be checked (if you want that degree of accuracy).
  • cpnknight
    "Weights & Measures" day tomorrow.
    Will the scaly beast stay below 300 lbs or not?
    Time will tell...
  • daydrem_dw
    cpnknight wrote: »
    "Weights & Measures" day tomorrow.
    Will the scaly beast stay below 300 lbs or not?
    Time will tell...
    I’m rooting for you!
  • cpnknight
    Sunday, 07:35...It's Weights & Measures Day!
    Last week I registered an amazing 5 lbs loss, this figure was probably skewed due to being very ill earlier in the week. What will the Scaly Beast and the Treacherous Tape have to say today?....

Weekly
    Weight was 299 lbs....Now 301.8....A gain of 2.8 lbs

November's Stats
    Weight
    Was 307.6....Now 301.8....Monthly loss of 5.8 lbs

Measurements
    Neck was 47 cm....Now 48 cm....Increase of 1 cm
    (not sure how that happened, maybe mis-measured?)
    Waist was 131....Now 127....A loss of 4 cm
    Chest was 132 cm....Now 132 cm....No change
    B.M.I. was 38.1....Now 37.4....Reduced by .7

My monthly goals were all missed unfortunately.
    I was rather hoping to be below 300 lbs today but the overall trend is downwards and, to be honest, I expected the scaly beast to show exactly what it showed.
    I lost a lot of water before last weeks scales day and the body wanted it back.
    Overall, not too shabby a month. Lost just under 6 lbs, the belly is shrinking, I am ahead of schedule and all the numbers are going in the right direction!

Now for a nice cuppa and set my goals for this month...