December 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Welcome @leni1us and @Christine4695 ! Building slowly is important. Have you looked into a Couch to 5K training plan? A lot of people here started with that.

I have not but I definitely will now.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all. Welcome to all the newbies!!

ITS DECEMBER!! Officially summer! Woo hoo. Today is Windy. Though I guess that's better than wet? No run today, cross training day. But tomorrow I get to run 5k. I think its been 6 months since I ran 5k.im so so so excited. Calf was a little tight yesterday, but fine today. So bike, followed by a little strength.

How much strength training do you incorporate into your running? As I'm trying to lose weight, and build up from an injury, I know strength is important and I used to love it. But now I struggle. I manage about 15 mins, twice a week. Lifting heavy in super sets. Never feels enough but more than I can be bothered. Haha.

It's an interesting one this one. My coach, who trains a lot of runners and is himself an elite runner, is very ambivalent about weights - he says, if you enjoy lifting weights, do it. If you don't, don't. I don't, so I don't.

He says the best thing you can do to improve your running, is run. He's a big fan of mobility exercises and things like yoga and pilates though.

I like this! I'd probably have a better use of my time stretching than strength training cause that's definitely something I don't do often enough
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done a 24 hour challenge? I'm looking at doing the Yeti virtual 24 hour challenge so 5 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours but not sure how one trains for that? Or of you just wing it 🤣

@RunsOnEspresso I did a challenge that was 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours back in May. I definitely just winged it, and in fact did not decide until the day of that I was doing it. If you're curious about details I'm sure I posted a lot in the May thread here (started May 1 so early in the thread), but overall I thought doing a total of 48 miles over two days was not that bad because it was only 4 miles at a time. Lack of good sleep is the issue. And if you are doing 5 miles that is a little bigger issue because it cuts into the time between runs a little more. It's doable though! After the first 4 runs I basically was just running, showering, eating and going to bed as quickly as possible. Plan your food and clothes so you don't have to think.

Welcome to all the new people! Glad to have you join us. Jump right in - we love to talk.

Strength training - I generally do 2 days a week for an hour of a hybrid strength training that is a mix of weights and body weight exercises, plus some cardio in there. I usually go to yoga once a week. Sometimes I go to other classes once a week as well that are heavy on strength and mobility. My running coach is an advocate of strength training although I think he sticks to a pretty basic rotation. I know that strength training has made a big difference in my running overall, both speed and endurance. I will say that it's an ongoing challenge to balance when to do what within my weekly schedule so I'm not too tired and sore all the time.

Thanks! I started poking around the internet tonight and that seems to be everyone's advice. Apparently, towards the end, it's very hard to think! I'll be doing it with another person, although most likely virtual. She has a coach and will get more specific workouts.

I figure 5 miles will take me about an hour so I'll have 3 or less between. The overnight part is what worries me the most. I like sleep LOL
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    How much strength training do you incorporate into your running? As I'm trying to lose weight, and build up from an injury, I know strength is important and I used to love it. But now I struggle. I manage about 15 mins, twice a week. Lifting heavy in super sets. Never feels enough but more than I can be bothered. Haha.
    Since June I've been doing lots. Mostly because it was summer and I'm a big wimp when it comes to hot weather. Three times a week, 70-90 minute sessions with a trainer (who is evil, but that's another story). I think it's had its benefits speed and stability wise, so if you've got time and inclination, just go for it.

if you enjoy lifting weights, do it. If you don't, don't.
    This!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo re weights: I never seem to find time at the moment, I used to do a couple of sessions a week and I tell myself I should get back into it, but it doesn't happen.
    What I DO do, which is pretty good for strength too, is daily yoga. There are planks, push-ups, mountain climbers, lunges, even squats hidden in there!
    I follow Yoga with Adriene's monthly calendars, the length and focus of the workouts vary so it's not boring, and if something looks like it'll be too much (like there was one Saturday I ran 20km and then was due a 60 minute strength-focused session, umm nope lol) then I swap it for a nice deep stretch session.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone else followed the 24-hour track race the other day in Norway... unfortunately the coverage was basically just a video feed once it got started, so was kind of hard to follow what had happened if you weren't watching nonstop. (They should think Nascar when they put these types of things on, but I digress...). So I had to rely on a LetsRun thread (which I don’t recommend - their forums are a super unhealthy place) to even know what I had missed. Anyway, there are now new Norwegian records for 100 miles AND 12 hours, and as for Kilian, you can read more here... https://athleticsweekly.com/event-news/kilian-jornet-reflects-24-hour-challenge-1039937773/

That race doesn't directly relate to your question, @RunsOnEspresso as it was nonstop running, but maybe a good tip to pull from it would be to not start at record-breaking pace and try to hold on for the entire day :D

I know @TavistockToad did a similar race format to what you're talking about, but maybe doesn't post here. It seems like a good challenge!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso someone in this group did a challenge of that sort a year or so ago, it was a woman and her name may have started with a k.... @katharmonic ? @kgirlhart ? Or maybe my memory is as bad as I keep thinking it is, but I know SOMEBODY female here was running every 4 hours for I think 48 hours and I thought they were amazing but totally crazy :D
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone else followed the 24-hour track race the other day in Norway... unfortunately the coverage was basically just a video feed once it got started, so was kind of hard to follow what had happened if you weren't watching nonstop. (They should think Nascar when they put these types of things on, but I digress...). So I had to rely on a LetsRun thread (which I don’t recommend - their forums are a super unhealthy place) to even know what I had missed. Anyway, there are now new Norwegian records for 100 miles AND 12 hours, and as for Kilian, you can read more here... https://athleticsweekly.com/event-news/kilian-jornet-reflects-24-hour-challenge-1039937773/

That race doesn't directly relate to your question, @RunsOnEspresso as it was nonstop running, but maybe a good tip to pull from it would be to not start at record-breaking pace and try to hold on for the entire day :D

I know @TavistockToad did a similar race format to what you're talking about, but maybe doesn't post here. It seems like a good challenge!

I followed along on Instagram Stories. One of the brands had great coverage there.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    leni1us wrote: »
    Welcome @leni1us and @Christine4695 ! Building slowly is important. Have you looked into a Couch to 5K training plan? A lot of people here started with that.

I have not but I definitely will now.

This would be a good place for me to re-start as well. My friend just completed it, and I've tried it on and off a couple times. I haven't gotten past week 4... Let's DO THIS!! 💪

My running coach is an advocate of strength training although I think he sticks to a pretty basic rotation. I know that strength training has made a big difference in my running overall, both speed and endurance.

I totally agree with that! When I was working with my PT in 2014/2015, my 5, 6, and 7K runs were so much easier than when I wasn't doing any lifting. I loved the feeling of having strong legs. I want to get back to that place!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 rest + yoga

December Total: 0k
    December Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k
    September Total: 176k
    October Total: 189k
    November Total: 180k

2020 Total through November: 1953k

LIVE countdown to 2020k in 2020: 67k remaining

Current miles: 1209 (My calendar doesn't mention anything noteworthy in 1209. I bet the people who lived back then would beg to differ)

Had a few inches of snow overnight and it's still snowing. Good day for a rest day.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles - Completed 10-11
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders -- Completed 9-29

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @shanaber
    they'll email us our mileage each day
    here's the link