30 pounds to lose challenge by March 2021

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone! I love hearing your ideas and learning about you and your life. Nice shares!
    I may post my weight every Saturday but you can post anytime at all.

Goal this week: log all food on MFP (good, bad and ugly)

12/7 Gratitude: When Monday work is over, candles, bubble baths, Christmas lights

Interesting thought: I knew a lady who was thin and she was in her 70s. She played tennis each day. She told me that she lost over 100 pounds eating only lean cuisines (3 times a day). I questioned her and said "wow that's a lot of salt intake." She shrugged and said, well it works for her, she feels healthy and has no issue with salt. I couldn't eat Lean Cuisines each day personally, But the takeaway is she knew exactly how many calories she was eating each day.

I need to get better at judging and logging the calories before I eat. Instead of eating and then finding out my chicken dijon rolled was 730 calories.

Keep your ideas coming! All are welcome - we have different goals but all want to be a healthy weight for our body type/height/etc.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @Beka3695 Fabulous photos! I love the before and after! Wow all that hard work and perseverance really shows!
    @Trina2040 To maintain for 5 years is remarkable! You are on the right track. Congrats on being retired. I can't wait. I have 9-10 more years til then.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm Ruby. I have 30 pounds to lose. I need motivation and to set some goals. :) I figure we can chart our weekly progress on here- positive or negative. I'm in my 50s and have slowly gained back all that I lost over the last two years due to stress and metabolism being all messed up. I just want to feel healthy and happy and that means being at a normal weight for my height.

I'm going to track pounds or ounces lost every Saturday. I'd love for you to join me. <3
    Starting weight 191 lbs.
    Goal weight 161 lbs.

12/5 Today's gratitude: Thankful for my twinkling Christmas tree, my morning coffee, scented candles

Wow! Losing 30 pounds by March seems ambitious (if you mean March 1st), but more power to you if you can do it.
    I set a goal to lose 100 lb in one year, which is roughly 2 lb per week. I started at 330 pounds on July 10th, and my current weight is ~286 pounds, so 44 pounds lost in 21.5 weeks.
    I think it would be possible for me to lose 30 pounds by end of March, as that's 16 weeks away -- maybe 20 pounds by March 1st.

But it's good to set challenging goals as long as you recognize that getting almost there is not a failure but an enormous success.

For sure, in my mind I meant end of March but I’d even be thrilled to lose 20 lbs by then! What’s your tip for that weight loss success?
  • WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 years old, married, we have a 2 year old. My goal for this challenge is to lose 15-20 lbs. 2020 starting weight was 225. I'll plan for Saturday weigh ins.

Good luck to everyone on reaching your goals.

Dec 5th 183.0
    Dec 12th
    Dec 19th
    Dec 26th

Jan 2nd
    Jan 9th
    Jan 16th
    Jan 23rd
    Jan 30th

Feb 6th
    Feb 13th
    Feb 20th
    Feb 27th

Mar 6th
    Mar 13th
    Mar 20th
    Mar 27th

Apr 1st

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

For sure, in my mind I meant end of March but I’d even be thrilled to lose 20 lbs by then! What’s your tip for that weight loss success?

Well, I'd say it has something to do with the fact that I started out with a LOT to lose! :D
    Seriously though, I don't expect to be able to continue at that pace as I get closer to my goal. The less you have to lose, the slower it is to lose.

Most days I am able to stay under my calorie allowance. My best progress was weeks ago when I was able to swim in an outdoor pool. Swimming is my favorite activity, that's not an option now. So I ride a recumbent exercise bike here at home. I try to get in at least 30 minutes a day, but strive for 60 minutes (in 2 rides), going at a good aerobic pace. Diet wise, I avoid high glycemic foods, because in order to burn body fat (both during exercise and after) you need your blood sugar to be a little low in order to trigger your body to metabolize that fat.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @Trina2040 To maintain for 5 years is remarkable! You are on the right track. Congrats on being retired. I can't wait. I have 9-10 more years til then.

Thanks! 5 years of maintenance and it only took me 10 months to gain 12lbs. That's just scary.

@jan110144 Gyms are open here too but as you said too risky. The creep is real and sad.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    @RubyRed427 i find that pre-logging my day is a crucial part of successful weight loss for me.. I do it every morning as I drink my first cup of coffee ... logging both food and planned exercise.
    Most days that keeps me on track (and I don't reach dinner with only 150 calories left for the day 🙂). Occasionally, I have to make adjustments at the end of the day, but most days not.

@frankwbrown congrats on your weight loss to date! I doubt that I will make 30 pounds by March, but that's ok. I will be MUCH closer to where I want to be.

Thank you. Losing 2 lb/week is at the upper end of what I've read as recommended: 1-2 pounds per week. I chose it because 1) I'm impatient and 2) some years ago, I was able to lose 2-2.5 lb/week while swimming an hour a day and dieting sensibly.

I do a mix of pre-logging and post-logging my food consumption. Logging really makes one so much more aware of one's calories consumed vs calories burned. Keeps me toeing the line.

P.S. Incidentally, I think viewing weight loss as a percentage of current weight would better convey how much of an accomplishment it is. Losing 2 lb is -0.67% when you're 300 lb, -1.0% when you're 200 lb, -1.33% when you're 150 lb, etc.
    Afterthought: And, at any weight, it matters how much of it is fat. i.e. what's one's body fat %?