For the love of Produce...

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Made kale chips yesterday. I was so surprised--they were wonderfully tasty and crunchy.

Ooh, how? I go thru big dehydrate-in-oven phases in winter.
    Mine previously came out too crumbly. Any time?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited December 2020
    Made kale chips yesterday. I was so surprised--they were wonderfully tasty and crunchy.

I went on internet and followed the directions.
    Wash kale
    Peel off the leaves and save stem (for veg broth)
    Dry kale
    Put leaves in big bowl add EVOO, salt and spices of choice
    Massage w hands
    Place on large oven pans (I used 2 pizza pans because they have holes for a crispy crust) lined w parchment paper
    make sure that you don't load up--should be space or chips will be soggy
    Bake in 300° oven (not real hot, better this temp) for around 15 min--should not be burnt but browned a bit.
    Take out of oven and let sit a bit--finishes crisping up

These were sooo good. Leftovers can be refrigerated. They didn't last long, they're snackin' good.

I'll take pics next time.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    87acq7jyj7y2.jpeg

Roasted Brussels with pomegranate, sweet potato, tahini; over a bed of shredded stuff and spinach.

mmmmmm those brussels look amazing!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    87acq7jyj7y2.jpeg

Roasted Brussels with pomegranate, sweet potato, tahini; over a bed of shredded stuff and spinach.

This looks amazing!!!! Yum! 😋

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,941 Member

I went on internet and followed the directions.
    Wash kale
    Peel off the leaves and save stem (for veg broth)
    Dry kale
    Put leaves in big bowl add EVOO, salt and spices of choice
    Massage w hands
    Place on large oven pans (I used 2 pizza pans because they have holes for a crispy crust) lined w parchment paper
    make sure that you don't load up--should be space or chips will be soggy
    Bake in 300° oven (not real hot, better this temp) for around 15 min--should not be burnt but browned a bit.
    Take out of oven and let sit a bit--finishes crisping up

These were sooo good. Leftovers can be refrigerated. They didn't last long, they're snackin' good.

I'll take pics next time.

If you have cashew flour/powder, use that as one of your spices.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

@snowflake954 - inspired!! I’ve never gotten kale chips to come out right. Mine also crumble ...!!

@lemurcat2 - Shakshuka is one of my fav meals!!! 😋
  • discolady74
    discolady74 Posts: 11 Member
    These pictures make me hungry!...and wanting to try something different! ;) I recently came across a recipe that is basically ratatoullie without the tomato sauce, and I love it. I add sauted mushrooms to it to make the flavor even better.

I am also trying to make sure I have at least a veg or fruit in every meal. Oatmeal - add bananas and pb or apples and cinnamon. Snack - got grapes or grape tomatoes always ready to grab. And sometimes I don't feel like dinner, so a baked sweet potato does it.

Ok, so now back to those pics -- time for me to make some notes on things to try!
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Or they accidentally hit the disagree button. I seem to do it fairly often. I may not always see it to correct it
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    These pictures make me hungry!...and wanting to try something different! ;) I recently came across a recipe that is basically ratatoullie without the tomato sauce, and I love it. I add sauted mushrooms to it to make the flavor even better.

Is said recipe online and do you have a link for it? Cause that sounds perfect for me!
  • mtaratoot
    It's nothing to look at, especially with this awful picture, but sure is tasty.

00ph6cdzhd30.jpg

I have two spaghetti squash from a neighbor's garden. The start she gave me turned out to be a cantaloupe. She's not so great about labeling her starts. I digress. I now only have ONE of the squashes....

Oven roasted with some onions, then mixed in with sauteed mushrooms and garlic. That's pretty much it. I am ~trying~ not to eat the other half of it and instead save it for tomorrow and put it on top of some pasta.

For the other squash, when I cook it, I might do something similar to what I did here but after it's cooked pour it into a pie shell with a little more umami and make that savory pumpkin pie I've been threatening for a month or so. Mmmmm..... pie......
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    fhdwzvtenyt5.jpeg

Posted this on the meals thread, but I got a bag of vine tomatoes at the grocery store a while ago on big clearance; they were extremely ripe and even a bit moldy on a couple spots, but they weren’t rotted, so I washed them well, cut the bad spots away and made homemade tomato soup with them. It’s really good; next time I might try to tweak the flavors a bit more, but we enjoyed the little batch and I wish I had bought the rest of the sale tomatoes!

So I DONT love tomatoes.
    But this looks great.
    Yogurt? Or what’s the swirl?
    And seasonings?
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    So I DONT love tomatoes.
    But this looks great.
    Yogurt? Or what’s the swirl?
    And seasonings?

Thank you! It’s dairy free cream actually! As for seasonings, I used some onion, garlic, ginger, s&p, a bit of Worcestershire and red wine, and some chicken bullion. I used an herb; thyme I think? In case it’s not clear, I didn’t follow a recipe at all lol. I just though about things that would layer well to create a good rich flavor! 💚
  • mtaratoot
    Happy Hanukkah!

Potato latkes.

Hanukkah tradition to eat oily food; fried is the way to go. Latkes are a staple. Traditionally fried in schmaltz (rendered chicken fat), but then you can't put sour cream on 'em, so peanut oil is fairly standard. High smoke point and neutral flavor. Using bacon fat is really frowned upon, but....

I made the smallest possible batch. One potato and a half onion. I remember my little secrets to making them better. I might make another batch tomorrow with the other half onion.
    7ydmy9nzm16n.png

r9om61x11xdr.png

kbgpvn1aom25.png

That's cultured Greek yogurt. Traditional toppings are sour cream and/or applesauce. I have yogurt.

And really only about 600 calories for the whole batch (about 75 calories each), so I can TOTALLY make more tomorrow.