Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

For the love of Produce...

Replies

• acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,229Member Member Posts: 4,229Member Member
    Have come to the conclusion my current pathetic crop of pea shoots was not due to cold weather but poor quality seeds. Last time I planted dried marrowfat peas sold for eating I bought them from the Tesco. I planted from the same box every summer for three years and got several harvests of pea shoots each time.

When I finally ran out of dried peas this year I bought regular dried peas from the green grocer and they failed to germinate both on the balcony and planted indoors on a window sill. I guess I am stuck with having to eat them. Hubby is heading to the Waitrose later today so will try to find marrowfat peas again for growing shoots.
  • purplefizzypurplefizzy Posts: 471Member Member Posts: 471Member Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Advise please. What would do with an excessive amount of squash?

Since you and I might call squash pumpkin or zucchini, which one is it?
    If pumking, roast and season then pure in a blender, portion and freeze. Serve along meat.
    If zucchini, make bread/cake and freeze.

Thanks. It is a combination of a large wedge of pumkin and a couple of acorn squashes.

Yes, freezes well.

It tastes good with sweet white miso, if you want to eat it as a simple side. Besides the obvious soups and baked goods, it's good as a lasagna filler (ricotta cheese, eggs - so basically custardy; I like caramelized onions (lots of them) and minced sage leaves in it).

Yessssss! In squash heaven with all of these.
    I’m super into roasted winter squash cubes (pre-roasted with S/P/oil, I like coconut oil) - I chill them and sort of toss them into everything, during the week, as I throw dinners together.
    Thanks everyone. I made the roast squash puree but it is too sweet for my taste. Made soup with some of it and froze the rest mixed with lemon juice and miso.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,435Member Member Posts: 7,435Member Member
    Thanks everyone. I made the roast squash puree but it is too sweet for my taste. Made soup with some of it and froze the rest mixed with lemon juice and miso.

For the pure, try to spice it up. I like to add curry powder or paste to mine.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,569Member Member Posts: 3,569Member Member

Soup is my favorite way to make it too, as I'm not a fan of the puree for similar reasons. I find plain roasted acorn squash to work as a side, and find it somewhat less sweet than some of the others.

I asked about ideas when I was overwhelmed with winter squash earlier in the year (I still need to freeze some), and one excellent idea someone gave me was stuffed acorn squash -- something like this, but with whatever ingredients you have on hand that seem to work (I find that a spicier sausage pairs very well, and used apple and greens): https://cherishedbliss.com/sausage-and-apple-stuffed-acorn-squash/
    A salad we eat a lot. Greens, halved grapes, blue cheese, candied walnuts.

To make the candied nuts I toast a single layer of nuts on a skillet with a very scant amount of optional butter. Add a tablespoon of sugar, turn up heat until it starts to caramelize and then turn the heat back down and coat the nuts in the caramel. Let the nuts cool off in the pan, giving an occasional stir to completely coat in the caramel. When cool store in an air tight container. It keeps as long as, say, peanut brittle. Great sweet punctuation to green salads that also contain a salty element such as crumbled blue cheese or feta, parmesan shavings, olives, serrano or prosciutto, cubes of cooked bacon.

We do this with pears and other fruit. Tart berries in summer adds an extra dimension. Salting the caramel is a nice variation.

cwra9no2y1v1.jpeg

• purplefizzypurplefizzy Posts: 471Member Member Posts: 471Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I roasted a head of cauliflower. Added cooked buckwheat, sliced cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, bunch of fresh, avocado, herbs.......... and then it began. What if.......... so I added a can of marinated hearts of palm sliced and a can of pickled white asparagus sliced. And then I whipped up my version of tahini dressing. OMG....... another meal that surprised me with simplicity and flavour. I would be happy without topping this with a lovely grilled chicken breast, but was much happier with it as a topping haha :)

Hearts of palm MAKE a salad for me.
    I forget how much I like them.
    Then I stumble upon an errant can in the far reaches of the cupboard... and 💥! Reminded why I love them all over again.
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Posts: 1,864Member Member Posts: 1,864Member Member
    I've never had hearts of palm, do they taste like anything similar? I've never had pickled asparagus either!

Had the worst kabocha squash, it looked dried out when I was cutting it up but was definitely not a good one when done, it was like a dried out potato and I roasted it for less time than I normally roast squash. It was expensive too, I'm only going to get them from the Asian grocery store now.
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I've never had hearts of palm, do they taste like anything similar? I've never had pickled asparagus either!

Had the worst kabocha squash, it looked dried out when I was cutting it up but was definitely not a good one when done, it was like a dried out potato and I roasted it for less time than I normally roast squash. It was expensive too, I'm only going to get them from the Asian grocery store now.

Taste is difficult to explain. They just taste like hearts of palm. I have only tried them for the first time couple of years ago and now when the cans go on sale I pick up a few. Ditto pickled asparagus. The texture is completely different than raw. Think soft and buttery.

Man I love food lol
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Posts: 1,864Member Member Posts: 1,864Member Member
    Thanks for the reply Tomek! I'll have to pick up both. It's amazing how different the same food can be, I recently tried dried lima beans in the Instant pot and they're nothing like the frozen ones I grew up on. Love both though frozen I've only had with butter and sour cream!
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Tomek! I'll have to pick up both. It's amazing how different the same food can be, I recently tried dried lima beans in the Instant pot and they're nothing like the frozen ones I grew up on. Love both though frozen I've only had with butter and sour cream!

If you are going shopping anyways, try to find canned water chestnuts. Another great addition to any salad or curry since they stay crunchy even when cooked.
    Once again turning scraps into something great. Outside leafs from two heads of cauliflower made into a soup topped with carrot ribbons and chili lime haddock. This is not a small bowl of food trust me on that.

c4ml2v0d1kr8.jpg
  • mockchocmockchoc Posts: 6,141Member Member Posts: 6,141Member Member
    Love you don't waste the leaves!
    The mother of my Vietnamese girlfriend pickles the outside leaves of cauliflower.
    What veggie sides are people planning for Christmas? I've got a family member who can't digest brassicas so a lot of classical accompaniments for goose like braised red cabbage and roast brussel sprouts are out. Any seasonal ideas not involving the cabbage family would be welcome.
    What veggie sides are people planning for Christmas? I've got a family member who can't digest brassicas so a lot of classical accompaniments for goose like braised red cabbage and roast brussel sprouts are out. Any seasonal ideas not involving the cabbage family would be welcome.

Christmas? I would not dare to interfere with my mom prepping the traditional Polish dishes that we have every year. Not as long as she is alive. And even then, I will continue that tradition.
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Love you don't waste the leaves!

Pick the leaves. Throw them into instant pot with half cup water. High pressure for 20 minutes and natural release. Allow to cool and throw into a blender and season however you like. I used Moroccan spices. Blend until smooth. Easy. From the two heads I got about 1L of soup.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,569Member Member Posts: 3,569Member Member
    We don't do goose on Christmas, but usually prime rib. When I was growing up we did turkey, and it was somewhat similar to Thanksgiving (I do a green beans with mushrooms and almonds for that, among other dishes).

However, here are a few ideas: https://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/christmas-goose-dinner
    edited December 6