Replies

• suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Vegetable pie.takbhx98c07s.jpg

This looks amazing! So beautiful!
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Just going to spice up the produce thread with some volume proper dinner fresh off the grill.

klsfcnm05gx9.jpg

Roasted delicata squash is my absolute favorite... I wait for it every year. Trader Joe's seems to be the only place I can dependably find it. Just bought 4 today! Can't wait to roast some of it tomorrow!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    Roasted delicata squash is my absolute favorite... I wait for it every year. Trader Joe's seems to be the only place I can dependably find it. Just bought 4 today! Can't wait to roast some of it tomorrow!

I finally got some this year (did not know it existed until last year) and roasted it... OMG. It is amazing! I got 2 more this week even though I have no idea what to eat them with. They are so so good. Now I am sad because they have such a short season!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Farmers market day again. One of my favorite food trucks was there, so I had a fried brussels sprout taco with pomegranate seeds, pickled fennel, spicy vegan aioli, more that I don't remember. (I've had these before. *So* good. And, yes, I have no idea how to calorie count it. Lots of nice olive oil, though. 😆).
    ytx3jusokp44.jpg
    Then there was the haul: Clockwise, Jonathan apples, pears, cabbage, poblano peppers, Hakurei turnips, salad and cherry tomatoes, little eggplants, plus (not shown) goat feta and eggs.
    l0d6rxrd2j3c.jpg
    Still have a few radishes and collard greens from last week, local strawberries, figs, guavas, spaghetti and acorn squash (plus leftover Georgia Candy Roaster squash from the recent squash-freeze-fest), so lots of nice eating ahead.

Did someone say figs and guava?! 😋
  • Safari_Gal_
    Vegetable pie.takbhx98c07s.jpg

@snowflake954 Che bello e buonissimo!
    I can taste the veggies from here!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    Yesterday I stomped around the coast range for about 4.5 hours up and down the hills and through the blackberry, salmonberry, and thimbleberry not to mention sword fern, cascara, and other understory. It was foggy and just spitting a little rain when I started, but the sun came out. I went to one of my favorite spots first. As I entered, I went through some spider webs. This told me nobody had been there yet. But they must have been there the day before - I started seeing cut stems. I kept stomping around and found some.

I moved down below the road. It's much steeper there. I found a big lobster mushroom, and as I was walking away from where I collected it, I saw a nest of yellow jackets I must have disturbed. So that meant I needed to find a different way back up to the road. Hunting down there was really hard, so I bailed on it.

I went to another spot that's hard to get lost. It's a big bowl-shaped hillslope. It all funnels back to the road. As long as you don't leave that watershed, you'll get back. I immediately found about 20. I then went all around the area and just found a few. I went down below the road over near that site and found a few. Then I decided to check out one more spot. I was sort of focusing on the hillslope position I had found so many a little earlier. That's where they were all fruiting. I had to stop every few steps, and so even though I walked almost six miles, my step counter only registered a couple thousand. So many stops. Such slow going, climbing over tree trunks, busting through thorny vines.... But it was a nice day to be in the forest. I sure got some exercise, and I got lots of mushrooms.

Sometimes they hide under the duff just a little.

ftpphp5l5rxj.jpg

Sometimes they really like to hide!
    ttrtt2onq4yt.jpg

But if you pay attention, there they are.

09o2u7yq25le.jpg

9gvfuxglp2v1.jpg

I was surprised to see winter chanterelles (littlefoot chanterelles). I collected a few; I will send a picture. They are a nearly look-alike species, but not quite. They are actually related to golden chanterelles, but they are actually quite different. They are edible, but there's not much to them after they're cooked. I also found what was probably Pleurotus, but I wasn't sure, and they were very small. I left them. I also found one fly agaric that I brought home just to get some pictures. It was downgraded from extremely poisonous to mildly poisonous several years ago. Some people believe this mushroom is where the legend of a man who pilots a sleigh behind flying reindeer. I might actually get some milk and put some in a bowl to see if they actually work as fly poison; there's still flies around my house.

I set them all out to dry a bit on some butcher paper. I'm going to start processing some today. If I get enough done, I can go meet some friends to go paddle. Otherwise I'll just take a mellow day around the house with all these lovely funguses.

aj3o5bkgqfvn.jpg

Lobster mushroom:

tzcefdbgujt8.jpg

Yellowfoot chanterelles:

in555p5tz0t4.jpg

Fly agaric:

wk9hjbjweess.jpg
  • Safari_Gal_
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Yesterday I stomped around the coast range for about 4.5 hours up and down the hills and through the blackberry, salmonberry, and thimbleberry not to mention sword fern, cascara, and other understory. It was foggy and just spitting a little rain when I started, but the sun came out. I went to one of my favorite spots first. As I entered, I went through some spider webs. This told me nobody had been there yet. But they must have been there the day before - I started seeing cut stems. I kept stomping around and found some.

Fly agaric:

wk9hjbjweess.jpg

@mtaratoot - wow! What a mushroom haul! I’ve always been a little worried about picking wild mushrooms. My husband’s uncle picks wild mushrooms in Italy (outside of Rome) and snails and all sorts of wonderful things.

There is one family story about how one mushroom picking sent everyone to the hospital .... we are leery of all mushrooms now lol

So a kudos to anyone that can pick em!

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Fly agaric:

wk9hjbjweess.jpg

@mtaratoot - wow! What a mushroom haul! I’ve always been a little worried about picking wild mushrooms. My husband’s uncle picks wild mushrooms in Italy (outside of Rome) and snails and all sorts of wonderful things.

There is one family story about how one mushroom picking sent everyone to the hospital .... we are leery of all mushrooms now lol

So a kudos to anyone that can pick em!

Every year there are news stories with people that died from eating poison mushrooms. Here, so many are similar. However, many people mushroom hunt all over Italy. There are offices where you can take them to be sure they are edible.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I no longer eat foraged mushrooms after an incident over 10 years ago. My hubby foraged with a friend considered to be an expert and one of the species they brought back was of fairy ring mushrooms which I was later told used to be on the edible list but are no longer for the Netherlands. After three days of losing liquids from all orifices I have lost my taste for foraged mushrooms.
  • acpgee
    As @mtararoot mentions it was probably individual senssitivity because there were 6 people at the dinner party featuring the foraged mushrooms I was the only one who got sick.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member

As it turns out....

The image I labeled as a Yellowfoot chanterelle? It isn't. Upon closer inspection, it's a Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca. A.K.A. False chanterelle. And guess what? They are considered poisonous. I only brought a few home for educational purposes. I usually don't bother with them. These seemed too big, but they had hollow stems. Upon closer inspection.... those stems aren't hollow! I found some other interesting fungus today in a new-to-me spot. I was looking for boletes but found some fly agaric, some milky caps, and a BUNCH more chanterelles. I did collect some more chanterelles; I now have enough for myself AND to give some to friends.
  • acpgee
    Does anyone know how to cook choi sam? We had it at a Vietnamese restaurant and thought it was great so bought some. First attempt I blanched by putting it in a colander and pouring a kettlefull of boiling water over it followed by a stir fry. Stems were okay but the leaves were chewy and stringy. Second time I blanched for a minute in boiling water, drained well and stir fried. Better than last time but still kind of tough and stringy.

Who knows how to stir fry this vegetable? I love the flavour but am struggling to get a palatable texture. Or is this a shopping problem (young shoots vs old plants) rather than a cooking problem?