For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I made a dish tonight with five types of mushrooms, a couple of which were new to me:

-shiitake
    -wood ear
    -black oyster
    -king oyster (new and pictured below)
    -bamboo pith (new and pictured below,,, this one was tricky for me because the package only said "dried mushroom" in English) This one has an unusual netting and became the focus of some of our dinner conversation. My family wanted to see what the dried ones looked like in the package.

We love mushrooms, so all of the above were hits :smiley:

s7akgjczqtdi.jpeg

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »
    I made a dish tonight with five types of mushrooms, a couple of which were new to me:

-shiitake
    -wood ear
    -black oyster
    -king oyster (new and pictured below)
    -bamboo pith (new and pictured below,,, this one was tricky for me because the package only said "dried mushroom" in English) This one has an unusual netting and became the focus of some of our dinner conversation. My family wanted to see what the dried ones looked like in the package.

We love mushrooms, so all of the above were hits :smiley:

s7akgjczqtdi.jpeg

Awesome haul! Once i started experimenting with mushrooms.. (yeah I know how that sounds lol)
    I realized how much more I liked wood ear and different varieties! This coming from a person who grew up in white button mushrooms or ones in a can!

Viva la champignons! 🍄
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    By the way my produce peeps - anyone ever try durian here???

I was in Singapore and heard of the “no durian debacle” where people aren’t allowed to carry them on the train because they are so stinky.

Anyway — I haven’t had them but wondered if anyone here had tried? Could they really smell that bad?

83veafct2851.png
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've tried it once and didn't really find it too stinky. Tasted fine to me too.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    If you like rambutan, you will probably like mangosteen and fresh lichee as well.

I like lychee, never tried mangosteen, I'll keep an eye out for it!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    I've tried durian, and it is a bit stinky like some cheeses such as a ripe taleggio. Tastes like a creamy custard.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with acpgee. I tried them last year in China and I did not find them overtly offensive in smell. I have had cheese that smelled way more. Durians tasted amazing though
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    If you like rambutan, you will probably like mangosteen and fresh lichee as well.

I like lychee, never tried mangosteen, I'll keep an eye out for it!

I vote mangosteen for being the best fruit ever. I bought two kilos of it in Malaysia and took it to a party in the Swiss alps. Everyone went nuts over them. You have to give them a little squeeze. If the skin is rock hard they aren't fresh enough. It's should give a little. There isn't a ton of flesh inside but it's amazing.
  • summery79
    Options
    @just_Tomek It was this recipe: https://www.wokandkin.com/buddhas-delight-lo-han-jai/

Wonderful and completely different than the Buddha's Delight in Chinese restaurants in the U.S.

I tried quite a lot of new-to-me foods with that one :smile:
  • mockchoc
    Options
    That is awesome. Not seen them here yet in Oz.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I bought a GIANT red potato the other day. It weighed 515 grams. Over a pound for one red potato! I don't recall seeing them this large. It's from one of the local organic producers, and I was curious. I planned to roast it, and of course I did. In the oven now while I enjoy a Hendrick's martini.

I also picked up some organic broccoli because it was on sale super inexpensive, and it looked great. Normally I'd just steam or stir-fry, but since I have never in my life roasted broccoli and I was running the oven anyway, I prepped the broccoli as I put in the potatoes. They followed five minutes later. Convection oven should be perfect for this.

I called my recipe two servings, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's nothing left over for tomorrow!

a8s2i2yom42l.jpg

Came out pretty good. I'd do it again. I cut the potatoes much smaller than usual; made for the cook time to be really similar. Yum!

Edited to add:

The only thing that I don't like is that I think the steam coming from the broccoli kept the potatoes from getting as crisp as usual. It's ok. Still yummers.

I have about a third of the broccoli left and a couple russets; I could do this again tomorrow.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Cottage cheese, steamed broccoli, radish. So simple, so delish, so filling, so low calories.

8hfh4utw33j3.jpg

I’ve been living off of variations on the ‘cottage cheese+ produce theme.’
    Mine are NOT photo worthy. Urs always are..
  • summery79
    Options
    Have y’all tried lotus root? They are so pretty! I’m marinating some slices today and will air fry them tomorrow :smile:

If you’ve tried them, I’d love to hear how they were prepared
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    I've had lotus root sliced thin and deep fried as crisps.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »
    Have y’all tried lotus root? They are so pretty! I’m marinating some slices today and will air fry them tomorrow :smile:

If you’ve tried them, I’d love to hear how they were prepared

I've kept a bag of frozen, great in stir fries.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    hhz8wllh5p9r.jpg

A Turkish-ish salad with some unexciting jarred eggplant and baked falafel from my week's prep. Farro and crackers, greens. It's a bit cold for cold plates here today (it's 60! and cloudy! :D ) but it was a good lunch.
  • summery79
    Options
    @acpgee Do you think I should have cut the lotus root thinner for (air) frying? It’s going to be a bit of a mess now that I’ve put them in the marinade but I want them to turn out well!