Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I scored some beet greens - my favorite greens, by far - at the farmers market, right here in mid-Michigan in the midst of a February cold snap (down to some single digit F temps!). Tonight, I stir-steamed the whole bag on top of some sauteed onions/garlic, then mixed with chickpea "rice" and some chopped-up queso fresco.

zrnzneor3843.jpg

The farmers market also yielded the most beautiful, perfect bok choi I think I've ever seen, grown in a greenhouse (I believe unheated), additionally under hoop-type row covers. There are no flea beetles or cabbage loopers in cool Michigan greenhouses in February, so the plants were perfect, unmarred little jewels. (I ate mine without capturing a photo, sadly.) There's a big bag of baby kale, too, but that's a little more routine all Winter here.

Thanks for the tip on chickpea rice. I had never heard of it and will give it a try.

Wait.... chickpeas and rice OR rice made from chickpeas???

I put "rice" in quotation marks for a reason, even though the label doesn't ;).

It's basically chickpea orzo, ingredients like the other chickpea pasta shapes. I assume they call it "rice" because rice is popular, cauliflower rice is popular (🙄 I prefer mine in identifiable chunks, and roasted, mostly), and many people don't know what orzo is anyway. Face it, orzo is not the most popular shape on this or any block.

I have a basic affection for orzo as a pasta shape, dunno why. It has an added plus in the chickpea version: I find chickpea pasta somehow slightly flatter tasting than wheat pasta (not objectionable, just different), so I prefer it with a hearty sauce, but as a vegetarian appreciate it for the much higher protein level (like twice as much) vs. wheat pasta. In the orzo shape, that flatter quality disappears for me - much as cauliflower rice seems to take a lot of yummy out of cauliflower - so the chickpea orzo/"rice" is a little more versatile.

YMMV.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Ha... I knew that was orzo. But who knows what else now will become "rice". Thanx.

So, quibbling about terminology, eh? :)

It's a food. It tastes good to me, and contributes nutrition. I understand what it is. I don't care what the heck they call it.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 😋 Yum beet greens! I don’t see them enough!
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    Potato and cottage cheese cakes on a tub of kale salad. First time making these and I am sold. So simple. Sometimes I surprise myself lol

That sounds really good -- I looked up some recipes for the cakes, and there are a bunch.... can you give us an idea of your ingredients? Thanks!

Here is what I did....
    - 300g boiled potatoes (boiled weight)
    - 200g cottage cheese
    - 200g caramelized onion (raw weight)
    - 4 garlic cloves grated (fried with onions until fragrant)
    - salt and pepper to taste (make sure you OVER season the mix slightly) basically when you taste and say yeap this is good, add a dash more of salt and pepper

Place everything into a food processor and let her rip until you get a nice creamy, mashed mix.
    Scoop onto a parchment paper, I used ice cream scoop.
    I made 10 cakes, about 2cm thick.
    Spray and pre-heat your non stick pan and use a spatula to place the cakes into the pan.
    Cook until crispy, for me it was 5 minutes a side.

For more authentic taste, top with sour cream.
    Done.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You guys eat beet greens? Humm how ? I grow beets in my garden 6 months of the year but have always just composted the leaves. Could you tell me what you do with beet greens (fyi i am assuming we are talking about the leaves associated with the beet roots that you roast or pickle)
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2020
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    You guys eat beet greens? Humm how ? I grow beets in my garden 6 months of the year but have always just composted the leaves. Could you tell me what you do with beet greens (fyi i am assuming we are talking about the leaves associated with the beet roots that you roast or pickle)

Yes, leaves from regular beet roots.

You can use them in pretty much the same ways you'd use any other greens, like spinach, chard, collard, kale, etc., though the flavor differs a bit. Maybe try them fairly plain (like a saute with olive oil and a little garlic, maybe) to start, and see what the flavor is like, then you'll know what you might like to combine them with.

The younger, more tender leaves may have a nicer texture than the really big, more coarse ones you get on a full-grown beet root, but they all taste fine. Baby or small ones can be tender enough to use raw (can be a good use for thinnings, since you grow them). You can cook tops + beets together when they're small, but they're harder to fully wash that way.

In cooking, as a side or a base for toppings (like Tomek uses various greens), put in soups or stews, use in omelets, etc. You can use them in smoothies and such, too, if you think you'd enjoy the flavor that way.

ETA: The ones from regular red beets tend to tint things, when cooked, if that matters. For example, rice combined with cooked greens turns slightly pink. ;)
  • amtyrell
    Options
    Beet greens follow up question:
    Does it matter what varietie of beet ie do you eat the leaves of Chioggia, bulls blood, ruby queen, and Detroit golden all equally? (Aka the ones i grow usually)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Does it matter what varietie of beet ie do you eat the leaves of Chioggia, bulls blood, ruby queen, and Detroit golden all equally? (Aka the ones i grow usually)

I don't see why not. I don't think I've personally eaten greens from all of those, but they're edible. I've had both red & yellow ones, but don't know which specific varieties.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't see why not. I don't think I've personally eaten greens from all of those, but they're edible. I've had both red & yellow ones, but don't know which specific varieties.

Same for me.

Following up, when I buy beets from the farmers market or get them in my CSA box I eat the greens too (and agree they are delicious), but for some reason I never think to buy the greens (or beets with greens) at the store. I should change that.

I also should plant some beets this year!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I am making Vietnamese canh tonight. A great way to eat greens. I'll be using watercress.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-make-vietnamese-canh
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    djhohw8im5j0.jpeg
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I like jackfruit and dragon fruit neat little things! And star fruit too. I really love brusselsprouts and a really cool okra recipe I recreated from a restaurant was so good but I’ve not been able to recreate it 🙇‍♀️again. Write it down! Learn from me :)
  • Mjlefty35
    Mjlefty35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any creative ideas for someone who doesn't like too many veggies? I would like to but the taste and smell and I dont always agree. Any good recipes to find that would be great!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Mjlefty35 wrote: »
    Any creative ideas for someone who doesn't like too many veggies? I would like to but the taste and smell and I dont always agree. Any good recipes to find that would be great!

Hi @Mjlefty35 - there are hundreds of vegetables! Maybe try some new varieties? There are bound to be a few - I hope that may suit your fancy!
    How about going to a few international stores? I found new veggies in Asia and Africa that were amazing! It’s not all broccoli!
    Cassava? Jute Mallow? Lotus root? Chayote? Black sapote?

There are lots of different ways to prepare veggies too / roast? Fry, dry..bake....steam... raw...blend..pulverize....in soup, stew, casserole..stir fry..

• amtyrell
    Options
    Mjlefty35 wrote: »

Well what vegetables do you like? In what preparations? One easy way to explore and expand your repertoire is similar tastes or similar preparations.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Okay guys.... question. What does Dragon Fruit taste like? Mostly looking to see how sour it is vs other types of fruit. I want to try some, but there is no information on if it is safe for my medical stuff or if it will cause a flare. Of course, there is no 100% unsafe list either so I do the best I can.

I have been trying to expand my list of fruits and vegetables, especially since I am trying to eat a lot less meat. I found I really enjoy Bok Choy and Kale for example. Same with chard. But I need MORE.
  • amtyrell
    Options
    Dragon fruit tastes like a kiwi and honeydew melon combined. But with lots of seeds.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    I find dragon fruit to be very mild... not sour at all.. it’s one of my favs!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I eat a fair bit of dragonfruit and much prefer the one that is beetroot red inside rather than the one that is a white/grey inside. They both have many tiny seeds you eat and no their is no sour flavour. The grey fleshed one is blander than the red which tastes rather floral to me. They are very refreshing and juicy served cold.
  • silviamartins
    silviamartins Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Okay guys.... question. What does Dragon Fruit taste like?

I personally feel like they’re all looks and no taste 🤷🏻‍♀️