Eating Meat after 17 Years of being Vegetarian to Build Muscle - Good Decision?

Options
Hey guys!

I've been vegetarian for 17 years and usually pretty fit for the most part. After tracking my protein intake for the past 2 weeks, I've realized it's hard to meet my protein requirement without eating tubs of greek yogurt, so much egg/egg whites, and putting protein powder in everything. (Okay I'm exaggerating, but truthfully it's been challenging).

Yes, we can get tons of protein from quinoa, beans, legumes but they are also high in carbs so my macros is off. I realized I could get twice the amount of protein with chicken and seafood with much less carbs and smaller amounts.

So I decided to eat meat after 17 years. I decided overnight and knew I wanted to just take the plunge. Never imagined myself making this decision.

It's Day 2 and I've eaten salmon and chicken but the texture and taste are so weird to me. I hope I can get used to this.

Anyone else make this drastic change? How did it go? Also, did you notice a change in muscle mass? My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle :smile:

Any feedback or tips are appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Only you can decide if it's a good decision. I wouldn't do it personally (close to 28 years vegetarian), but I have no problem getting enough protein. I wonder if perhaps you have your protein goal set too high? We see that a lot, with people struggling to eat what they think is enough. You really don't need more than 1g per lb of LBM (or 0.8g of ideal bodyweight, if you don't know LBM).
    Thanks Nony Mouse. I currently have my protein set at 105 but I have considered if it is too high. Thank you for the tip! :)

• misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    After 46 years vegetarian, I figure I may have to start eating meat in a decade or two when I move to assisted living (I'm 65 now), because they probably won't provide that great of nutrition for a vegetarian. Until then, I don't seem to have any major difficulty getting what I think is adequate protein (eating in a way I enjoy).

I'm a subscriber to the idea of 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight, around 1g per pound of lean mass, and I meet or exceed that daily (without protein powder, protein bars, fake meat, and that sort of thing - not because there's anything wrong with those, but because I personally don't find them tasty).

If that doesn't work out for you, I don't see anything wrong with stopping being vegetarian, in the abstract. You know your own goals and ethics best. Certainly, I don't think being vegetarian is "healthier". I would expect the meats and fish to taste kind of weird for a while, and it might take some time (few weeks, maybe?) for gut microbiome to adapt. (I don't have the cite handy, but there was a small crossover study that looked it this - it happened faster than the researchers expected, IIRC there were material changes in a couple of weeks.)

Personally, I don't worry about how many carbs I eat, as long as I get enough protein, enough healthy fats, and plenty of veggies/fruits, within a sensible calorie goal; and I can do that fine. (I eat 100g minimum protein (usually exceed it), 50g minimum fat, 5 minimum (ideally 10+) veggie/fruit servings, and usually end up with 200-250g carbs daily, but I don't target the carbs, that's just where they end up.)

FWIW, I'm not a bodybuilder or even a serious weight trainer, but I don't seem to have any difficulty in increasing strength or muscle. YMMV. 🤷‍♀️ I think my bodyfat and fitness are OK-ish enough for a woman my age, but maybe my standards are lower than yours.

I don't think this is a question anyone else can answer for you: Eating styles are about principles, tastes, practicality, satiation, and that sort of thing . . . all of which are pretty individualized.
    It's awesome and I'm sure healthier that you are getting your protein minimum intake of 100 g without fake meats. Kudos. Because I have a high 30% + BMI currently after becoming a mom and making poor eating choices, carbs are a high percentage of my macros but I definitely try and avoid an extreme amount at least until I lose a healthy amount of weight. Thanks for your insight and best of luck during assisted living in the future! I hope they do offer at least some decent health conscious choices for vegetarians.

• globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I get over 100g of protien in my typical diet. Majority of the 100g comming from 600g egg white, 500g broccoli, and 50g edamame. So it is definitly doable if you dont mind eating that much egg white.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I too have made the switch to veggie and finding protein levels hard to reach
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    lizrod2014 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I've been vegetarian for 17 years and usually pretty fit for the most part. After tracking my protein intake for the past 2 weeks, I've realized it's hard to meet my protein requirement without eating tubs of greek yogurt, so much egg/egg whites, and putting protein powder in everything. (Okay I'm exaggerating, but truthfully it's been challenging).

Yes, we can get tons of protein from quinoa, beans, legumes but they are also high in carbs so my macros is off. I realized I could get twice the amount of protein with chicken and seafood with much less carbs and smaller amounts.

So I decided to eat meat after 17 years. I decided overnight and knew I wanted to just take the plunge. Never imagined myself making this decision.

It's Day 2 and I've eaten salmon and chicken but the texture and taste are so weird to me. I hope I can get used to this.

Anyone else make this drastic change? How did it go? Also, did you notice a change in muscle mass? My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle :smile:

Any feedback or tips are appreciated, thanks!

I'm an omnivore so have no anti-meat agenda. I do have an anti-arbitrary macros agenda, so am interested in where you got your macros as we see so many people here who have picked up the impression that one cannot lose weight unless drastically reducing carbs. I believe one should set macros around how one feels the fullest, and for some that might be higher protein, or higher fat, or higher carbs.

Are you using the default 50% carbs macro? @AnnPT77 @janejellyroll - what macros do you hit? (The former is a long time vegetarian and the latter is vegan.)

During the three years I spent at yoga retreat centers, I knew plenty of healthy and fit vegans who likely got at least 60% of their calories from carbs, and made legumes the backbone of their diet. (They were also very active.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I just learned that tennis champions Serena and Venus Williams eat mostly plant based, and they certainly are fit and have plenty of muscle.

The following doesn't seem like enough calories for an elite athlete, but I suppose it would depend on portion size:

https://thebeet.com/venus-williams-follows-a-mostly-vegan-diet-and-here-is-exactly-what-she-eats/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just learned that tennis champions Serena and Venus Williams eat mostly plant based, and they certainly are fit and have plenty of muscle.

The following doesn't seem like enough calories for an elite athlete, but I suppose it would depend on portion size:

https://thebeet.com/venus-williams-follows-a-mostly-vegan-diet-and-here-is-exactly-what-she-eats/

It should be noted that what an elite athlete eats in terms of calories, tends to be much higher than a normal person. And they became elite athletes following a different diet. You see this in the body building world. Most didn't get there from following a ketogenic diet but it has made it easier to sustain their physique.

This also doesn't get into the amount of athletes who tried going plant based, only to switch back after performance issues arose.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It should be noted that what an elite athlete eats in terms of calories, tends to be much higher than a normal person. And they became elite athletes following a different diet. You see this in the body building world. Most didn't get there from following a ketogenic diet but it has made it easier to sustain their physique.

This also doesn't get into the amount of athletes who tried going plant based, only to switch back after performance issues arose.

But to circle back to the subject of the OP, we're discussing whether protein needs for non-elite athletes can be met on a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, and I think it's pretty clear that the answer is "yes."

This doesn't mean that individuals aren't going to choose to add meat back to their diet for pleasure or convenience, it's just that it's not mandatory in order to meet an average person's fitness or body composition goals (I don't think you're necessarily arguing that).

Yea, I don't disagree. That is why it's important to understand goals. If a goal is muscle gains, animal based proteins make it "easier" to get all amino acids and stimulate muscle protein synthesis the most, but it can be achieved with plant based diets, but will often require more protein in comparison to an animal based diet due to lower levels of L-Luecine in plant based proteins.

True. There's a persistent myth out in the extremes of the advocacy blogosphere that plant-based eaters require *less* protein than omnivores, besides . . . though I've never seen any even remotely rational explanation of why that would be so. (Greger 🙄 even argues that leucine is The Worst!)

IMO, getting a bit *more* protein, as a plant-based eater, is IMO a more reasonable strategy, especially if one has athletic goals. One can also make it a point to give some thought to EAAs - some plant foods have higher leucine levels than others, of course.
  • Snugbug6
    Snugbug6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

If you're still conflicted, google Robert Cheeke. He's a pretty high profile, vegan bodybuilder. He has diet books and information online.

Personally, having been raised vege, I feel like I've served my time and deserve some bacon! But there's alternatives out there.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    globalc00 wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I get over 100g of protien in my typical diet. Majority of the 100g comming from 600g egg white, 500g broccoli, and 50g edamame. So it is definitly doable if you dont mind eating that much egg white.

Uh, that does not sound enjoyable at all to be honest. Also, TO is a woman and has likely a much smaller calorie goal, which means eating food with 100g of protein might take up a substantial amount of her daily calories.

What people enjoy varies between people. I love my current meal plan. In fact now that I’m trying to eat at maintenance, I’m just adding an additional meal similar to my other 4.
    I value my time far more than time spent cooking. So bring able to buy the frozen packs of broccoli and microwave a pack and share it with my wife at lunch and dinner to get my 500g is ideal. Sure they have other mix veggies at Costco, but I prefer he broccoli. Eating oatmeal and 200g of egg white for breakfast is normal for lot of people. Eating another 150 in 2 more meals is easy. I sometimes wish I can eat more than 150g in my other meals. I’m just glad I found something I enjoy. But the point was I eat over 100g in protein with out taking meat into account. Eating this way was also the best way to satisfy my hunger when I was dieting.