Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    amart4224 wrote: »
    My company is taking surveys about how we would feel WFH 3 days/wk, in office for two, but no assigned cubes. (i.e. you just get assigned one on the two days you're in).

I'm all for that. I work more from home without the 45 min commute each way.

My company has tossed around a similar possibility and I have to say, the thought of sitting at a desk that some other random person sat at the day before makes me gag. There's the in-office nail clippers, the people that eat all kinds of greasy or crumbly food at their desks, etc. There are not enough sanitizing wipes in the world to make me comfortable 😷

So you never use public transportation?
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My company is taking surveys about how we would feel WFH 3 days/wk, in office for two, but no assigned cubes. (i.e. you just get assigned one on the two days you're in).

My company has tossed around a similar possibility and I have to say, the thought of sitting at a desk that some other random person sat at the day before makes me gag. There's the in-office nail clippers, the people that eat all kinds of greasy or crumbly food at their desks, etc. There are not enough sanitizing wipes in the world to make me comfortable 😷

Nope, owned my own car since the age of 16. I've never lived in an area where public transport was a big thing.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Nope, owned my own car since the age of 16. I've never lived in an area where public transport was a big thing.

I'm in the same situation with car since 16. We have public transit were I live now but have never been on it. Have been on subways, etc. on trips to larger cities as well as planes, airport and other shuttles. Those are dirty as all get our but I just suck it up and figure I'm building my immune system.

They were redoing some of our offices before 'rona and in the new designs nobody had an assigned area (except for a small locker) with typically working there 5 days a week. You just came in and sat down in an open slot.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I haven't since March 16 (I remember since it was a Monday after the week in which covid gradually became the biggest thing, and immediately after the St Patrick's Day observed weekend when lots of people locally were acting like complete idiots in the bars). After I got to work that day, I was "am I crazy." I rode it home that night (the L, brown line) and it was already pretty much empty (had been that morning too), and drove to work the next three days (worked from home on that Friday). Since then, I've driven every time I've come into the office or gone somewhere I would ordinarily take public transit since (unless close enough to walk).

Personally, though, pre covid, it never bothered me (some lines were cleaner than others), but it's also a limited time and IME you don't feel like it's yours so you are touching things in the way I do when sitting in my office. It is likely irrational, but I'd really hate having a communal desk. (Probably not likely, but I do think there will be a movement to reduce/consolidate office space after this, and to let people work more from home. I like the flexibility, but I miss working in the office with my co workers a lot, and still do about once a week (was doing it more before the cases spiked up again). However, I also do like that it takes me no time to get to work. Back in the day even the L was faster than commuting, but now driving is way faster. Parking would be too expensive to be worth it if my employer weren't currently paying, however.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm following this whole WFH trend pretty close. Around 70% of my clients (I'm a headhunter) are the companies that put up the glass/metal on mid-rise and high-rise buildings across the US. I work with many of the top firms in NYC, Chicago, DC, Baltimore, Nashville, Philly and a few other cities. If we don't return to the offices (and I'm seeing signs of business pick back up), my business, at least on that side of it, will drop. I played a huge role in putting the teams together for Hudson Yards in NYC. It's not even completed yet and, from what I've heard, is like a ghost town compared to what it could be.

I've wondered for a long time...long before COVID about the sustainability of expensive office space in high rises in big cities. Years ago I worked as a financial auditor for a local CPA firm in Albuquerque (a fairly large local firm) and we merged with Moss Adams, a medium sized western regional CPA firm based out of Seattle (mergers are so much fun...). When we would attend trainings, auditors from Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, Phoenix, etc were all surprised that we occupied two floors of a mid rise in Uptown Albuquerque as, for the most part, if they weren't at a client's premises, they worked from home as office space was too much overhead. Most of the offices did have a small amount of office space which was primarily a conference room for face to face meetings with clients, and some cubicles if one needed to be in the office. That was over a decade ago...I left about 2 years after the merger and I think they cut back the office space here from two to one floor after I left, even though it's pretty cheap here in NM.

My sister-in-law works for some swanky consulting firm in NYC and other than when she's at a client or traveling oversees to see a client, she's been working at home for about 15 years now. My brother-in-law is much the same...he's a senior manager for Deloite and he's either at home or in the field with a client.

I've just wondered about this for a very long time.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm following this whole WFH trend pretty close. Around 70% of my clients (I'm a headhunter) are the companies that put up the glass/metal on mid-rise and high-rise buildings across the US. I work with many of the top firms in NYC, Chicago, DC, Baltimore, Nashville, Philly and a few other cities. If we don't return to the offices (and I'm seeing signs of business pick back up), my business, at least on that side of it, will drop. I played a huge role in putting the teams together for Hudson Yards in NYC. It's not even completed yet and, from what I've heard, is like a ghost town compared to what it could be.

I've wondered for a long time...long before COVID about the sustainability of expensive office space in high rises in big cities. Years ago I worked as a financial auditor for a local CPA firm in Albuquerque (a fairly large local firm) and we merged with Moss Adams, a medium sized western regional CPA firm based out of Seattle (mergers are so much fun...). When we would attend trainings, auditors from Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA, Phoenix, etc were all surprised that we occupied two floors of a mid rise in Uptown Albuquerque as, for the most part, if they weren't at a client's premises, they worked from home as office space was too much overhead. Most of the offices did have a small amount of office space which was primarily a conference room for face to face meetings with clients, and some cubicles if one needed to be in the office. That was over a decade ago...I left about 2 years after the merger and I think they cut back the office space here from two to one floor after I left, even though it's pretty cheap here in NM.

My sister-in-law works for some swanky consulting firm in NYC and other than when she's at a client or traveling oversees to see a client, she's been working at home for about 15 years now. My brother-in-law is much the same...he's a senior manager for Deloite and he's either at home or in the field with a client.

It's human nature, IMHO, to slack off a bit from home. While the opportunity is there to be way more productive, some can't. I would say 80% of people just can't work from home. I hate to sound cynical, but when I started my own recruiting firm, I paid people very non-traditionally with double or triple compensation of brick and mortar places. I also managed everyone remotely. Though they were 1099 (because of that, I could never require quotas or legally push metrics), I could see what everyone produced through the shared software. Even my own son and his best friend, neither of who I would consider lazy, couldn't produce 1/3 of the numbers I produce, though they had every tool I had starting in the business and way more (they had myself as a mentor -- when I started, I had no one). But I started in a boiler room environment with someone standing over my shoulder making sure I placed 50 to 60 calls a day (now it's different -- you use texts, emails and Linkedin, but there still are metrics). I had to tell my son and his friend (my last two recruiters) to find something different last year. They are both killing it selling solar in California now, when Covid doesn't prevent them from sales calls. Both of them needed an environment where someone was pushing numbers, just like I did years ago, every single day. Most businesses are finding the same thing.

This may sound controversial, but WFH is something you have to prove and earn. It's tough to do and focus. I actually keep software that times my own productivity through the day and measures it. I hired a consultant just to track MY numbers and I own the company! I just find that helps me. If my numbers are off, I have a paid consultant questioning me at the end of the month. I know, sounds weird, but it works for me.

Longer term, HR does not want to be babysitters. I read a study where the younger generation touches their phones, on average, 2617 times a day. That's staggering. How many times a day do you think they are touching them without anyone being able to watch them? Most in offices at least try to hide how addicted they are to their mobile devices.

I think that good companies will reward folks that have proven they can be productive during Covid. It's shown companies things can get done without a brick and mortar building, which has always been the case, and it's given them the processes/mechanisms to do so. But have they been as productive? Yahoo (yeah, I know, not a great company) worked from home for a decade before asking everyone to come back into the offices. Their employees weren't working as hard.

All these things are cyclical. I've been around in the recruiting business nearly 30 years now. When times are good, people are talking about six hour work days and four day work weeks and unlimited vacations. I've cautioned that the "good times" wouldn't last forever. When I talk to unemployed millennials now, they are (overall, there are exceptions) hot messes. They have never been through an economic downturn and have always been wined and dined to go to work for a different firm. Now, unfortunately, many can't even get an interview. It's a stark contrast. Very hard adjustment.

And in my industry? Total chaos and around 40% to 50% of headhunters will find different work. Happens every recession. Unless you've developed deep relationships with clients, which I'm fortunate enough to have, you're out of the business. Most transactional recruiters will be gone by middle of next year. They are really struggling already.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    IME, a lot of those who are less personally affected but who think the restrictions are important and are compliant want generous unemployment and other relief for those people and businesses who need it (and believe that restrictions or not business that rely on tourism, conventions, and travel generally would be in trouble, among others), whereas IME it is often those opposed to the restrictions who are against the relief efforts (or certain of them, like the more generous unemployment).

I 100% believe that the restrictions are important and that those impacted by a shut down need a safety net that is better then what we currently offer in the US. We can not expect to just close everything up, make people stay home, and then tell them "too bad so sad" when they don't have money for bills or groceries. Unemployment was not created to handle something like this. It is to keep someone afloat long enough to get another job. It is not a long term solution to job loss. Something else needs to be provided if we want tighter restrictions.

I am blessed and luck as heck that I can do my job from home. I have been work from home since March with no current end in sight. In face, even after all this is over, I will most likely still be WFH at least part time with a day or two in the office. If there is any silver lining, it has shown the people at the top that WFH is a viable option which they were against before.

I'd been WFM since 2011 for an employer that was generally against it, but was willing to do that for me because I'd worked in the office for 3 years before moving out of state to be closer to my aging mother. During those three years he'd also observed me checking in (well, working really) remotely while on vacation, so was confident in my work ethic.

I want to get another WFM job and am hoping one silver lining from this dreadful experience is that more employers are open to it now.

Good for you. My employer was never comfortable with people working in places where he couldn't see them (salesmen on the road for example).

Now I'm mostly into office work, I had opportunity to work from home in the early days of COVID19. Then one day I got a call saying they were bringing everybody back in to the office and would appreciate my return as well. My bosses are 10 and 15 years younger than I am, so they have a hard time being tactful telling me things that don't make sense.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options

That's one reason I think this will vary: The cost of space. It's always expensive (compared to requiring little or none), but office space here (mid Michigan, medium sized metro, lots of land close-in) is *much* more affordable than in dense, expensive cities, especially cities with spread somewhat limited by geography (water, mountains, etc.) or political factors (transit options/timing/logistics, say). That space cost needs to be balanced off against the productivity implications Mike is talking about (among other things), when it comes to overall costs (and I'm not saying all decisions will be rational, because humans).

There are other factors, too, like type of work. Some forms of work benefit more from informal co-worker interaction (some innovation-oriented places are noting this, I understand), whereas for other work that matters very little (like the sales or some consulting work, maybe, where the link to customers can be more important than to co-workers; or things that are very solo by nature).

In general, something I'm finding interesting to consider is which things in society will reach some kind of tipping point, or reach it much quicker, because of the pandemic, and which will wither away if we reach a point where potential contagion is no longer a major influence. I'm thinking not just about WFH, but also things like alternative shopping modes (online, curbside, etc.), tele-health, interactive exercise equipment (Peloton and what-not) vs. gym activities, webcast live music events, online education, and more. All of these things have been growing trends, and the pandemic has given them a bit of a push. It's interesting to me to consider which will snowball, and which may not.

Overall, in my paranoid-ish moments, I wonder if the pandemic is pushing us closer to the world of Wall-E, where there are more of us in our comfy rolly chairs in front of screens to do nearly everything, eating yummy snacks, and interacting mostly virtually. A huge difference between that world and our current one is that we don't have the robot servants; instead we're relying on (and sometimes poorly treating) a class of front-line human service workers.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Millennials "have never been through an economic downturn"? I beg to differ. Millennials currently make up adults ages 24-40, approximately. A good number of us were already out in the workforce when the 2007-2008 recession hit.

Millennials are around 39 tops now. 12 years ago they were 27. Every single company wants someone with five years of experience or less in the worst of times. The market is still decent for cheaper employees, as it always is in harder times. No one in that age group had a harder time in the last recession finding a job. They were the ones displacing older employees in droves. But you're right, I'm more referring to the younger ones in that group that are finding themselves unemployed for the first time ever. It's not easy to go from a hot job market where everyone is fighting over you (if you have certain skills) to the opposite.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

It's human nature, IMHO, to slack off a bit from home. While the opportunity is there to be way more productive, some can't. I would say 80% of people just can't work from home. I hate to sound cynical, but when I started my own recruiting firm, I paid people very non-traditionally with double or triple compensation of brick and mortar places. I also managed everyone remotely. Though they were 1099 (because of that, I could never require quotas or legally push metrics), I could see what everyone produced through the shared software. Even my own son and his best friend, neither of who I would consider lazy, couldn't produce 1/3 of the numbers I produce, though they had every tool I had starting in the business and way more (they had myself as a mentor -- when I started, I had no one). But I started in a boiler room environment with someone standing over my shoulder making sure I placed 50 to 60 calls a day (now it's different -- you use texts, emails and Linkedin, but there still are metrics). I had to tell my son and his friend (my last two recruiters) to find something different last year. They are both killing it selling solar in California now, when Covid doesn't prevent them from sales calls. Both of them needed an environment where someone was pushing numbers, just like I did years ago, every single day. Most businesses are finding the same thing.

This may sound controversial, but WFH is something you have to prove and earn. It's tough to do and focus. I actually keep software that times my own productivity through the day and measures it. I hired a consultant just to track MY numbers and I own the company! I just find that helps me. If my numbers are off, I have a paid consultant questioning me at the end of the month. I know, sounds weird, but it works for me.

[snip]

@MikePfirrman, (or anyone) are you familiar with the time tracker HubStaff? I had a one time gig with a company who used that. I only worked a few hours a day, so it was super easy for me to focus. But although I was working continuously, I got scores like Activity = 70%, when I thought it should have been in the 90s. Since I'd always been an A student, this really bothered me.

I was doing QC for a company in which the writers had English as a second language. I worked in their QC system and also spent some time documenting common grammatical and other errors in a Google doc. While my time in the Google doc may have been part of the problem, by the second part of the project I was no longer documenting and 100% in their system.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I haven't since March 16 (I remember since it was a Monday after the week in which covid gradually became the biggest thing, and immediately after the St Patrick's Day observed weekend when lots of people locally were acting like complete idiots in the bars). After I got to work that day, I was "am I crazy." I rode it home that night (the L, brown line) and it was already pretty much empty (had been that morning too), and drove to work the next three days (worked from home on that Friday). Since then, I've driven every time I've come into the office or gone somewhere I would ordinarily take public transit since (unless close enough to walk).

Personally, though, pre covid, it never bothered me (some lines were cleaner than others), but it's also a limited time and IME you don't feel like it's yours so you are touching things in the way I do when sitting in my office. It is likely irrational, but I'd really hate having a communal desk. (Probably not likely, but I do think there will be a movement to reduce/consolidate office space after this, and to let people work more from home. I like the flexibility, but I miss working in the office with my co workers a lot, and still do about once a week (was doing it more before the cases spiked up again). However, I also do like that it takes me no time to get to work. Back in the day even the L was faster than commuting, but now driving is way faster. Parking would be too expensive to be worth it if my employer weren't currently paying, however.)

I'm in the same situation with car since 16. We have public transit were I live now but have never been on it. Have been on subways, etc. on trips to larger cities as well as planes, airport and other shuttles. Those are dirty as all get our but I just suck it up and figure I'm building my immune system.

They were redoing some of our offices before 'rona and in the new designs nobody had an assigned area (except for a small locker) with typically working there 5 days a week. You just came in and sat down in an open slot.

...I find the discussion about working from home being distracting interesting, because in my experience it’s the opposite. I work as a video game artist and being in an office meant everyone was always hanging out together or gaming or eating, when it wasn’t time for a pointless meeting. Working from home, you do what needs done to meet the deadline in a focused fashion, then the rest of your time is your own.

Yes, I found my coworkers FAR more distracting when I was in the same building with them as opposed to 1,000 + miles away.

There's a certain portion of my job that benefits from bouncing ideas off each other and arguing things out or just generally working collaboratively. That part suffers, as although there are phones and (ugh) Zoom, it's just not the same. I also miss the human contact (that wasn't any more distracting than stuff at home). But not commuting does save time and my workout schedule is more flexible (although it was reasonably flexible at home). Although I like the extra time, I do miss some things about public transit, as it was an opportunity to just read a book or o something else (I had a Duolingo streak going and found that a fun thing to do when commuting). Even for things like writing, though, I just like being in the office. I can do all that stuff from home, but it's why I go into the office regularly (although most of the time I am home), even though I do not have to.

In ordinary times I wouldn't be using transit just to go to work, but to get around the city for things not in walking distance. I used to drive extremely rarely, unless I had bulky/heavy things to transport or were going somewhere where public transit was not convenient. I've always liked that this city has decent public transit (as well as that I live in a walkable neighborhood where I can do shopping and such locally).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-britain-variant-idUSKBN28P158

Here is a source that I trust a bit more. Can anyone from UK tell if this is getting any air time this morning?