Options

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Yes, the US governance system is relatively decentralized, compared to some other places, but without the power over interstate borders that EU members exercise. (I can't speak to the relationship of states to the federal government in other large places like Australia, legally or geographically.

In Australia the state borders were not closed by the federal government, Scott Morrison the prime minister, was in opposition but state premiers over rode that , the premiers of each state made decisions to close state borders and to whom ( some states were open to other safe states at different times but not all to other states)

There were some exceptions for essential travellers like truck drivers and people could apply for exemptions on compassionate grounds

Not sure what you mean by geographically ?? Other than Tasmania which is an island, states are geographically connected.

So how do the premiers of the states enforce closing state borders?

As has been mentioned a few times earlier, in the US is is common to have literally 100's of roads crossing state borders. Impossible to control/monitor all of them.

Think of the slightly confusing issue of England, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom. I remember reading this story https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/29/couple-stopped-driving-to-wales-to-deliver-christmas-presents-13672924/ at the end of last month. An English couple was driving along a road which crossed the border into Wales and was stopped and asked to turn back, as their trip was not based on a "reasonable excuse".

I know the USA is larger than Australia, and I've always heard Australia is 32 times the size of England, so maybe I should stop hoping the United States would do what was done at that England and Wales border. But it really isn't right to declare a failure if you haven't tried. And I don't think the United States really tried very hard.

I live in Illinois in the US. For our non-US friends Illinois is bordered by 4 states, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky and Missouri. The western boarder with Missouri is the Mississippi river so access is limited due to the need for bridges. For the remainder of Illinois' other boarders. as mentioned there is generally a road every mile that connects with adjoining states. Given this situation there are over 400 points where a road enters Illinois from a neighboring state. You could possibly monitor the Interstates, (red lines on the map, similar to the Motorway in GB) but not all of the other 400+ entry points.

1or47185fg3r.png

Why do you hate our Iowa neighbors? :p
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Heh, I spent too much time on my second paragraph, and you beat me to it!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Yes, the US governance system is relatively decentralized, compared to some other places, but without the power over interstate borders that EU members exercise. (I can't speak to the relationship of states to the federal government in other large places like Australia, legally or geographically.

In Australia the state borders were not closed by the federal government, Scott Morrison the prime minister, was in opposition but state premiers over rode that , the premiers of each state made decisions to close state borders and to whom ( some states were open to other safe states at different times but not all to other states)

There were some exceptions for essential travellers like truck drivers and people could apply for exemptions on compassionate grounds

Not sure what you mean by geographically ?? Other than Tasmania which is an island, states are geographically connected.

So how do the premiers of the states enforce closing state borders?

As has been mentioned a few times earlier, in the US is is common to have literally 100's of roads crossing state borders. Impossible to control/monitor all of them.

Think of the slightly confusing issue of England, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom. I remember reading this story https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/29/couple-stopped-driving-to-wales-to-deliver-christmas-presents-13672924/ at the end of last month. An English couple was driving along a road which crossed the border into Wales and was stopped and asked to turn back, as their trip was not based on a "reasonable excuse".

I know the USA is larger than Australia, and I've always heard Australia is 32 times the size of England, so maybe I should stop hoping the United States would do what was done at that England and Wales border. But it really isn't right to declare a failure if you haven't tried. And I don't think the United States really tried very hard.

I live in Illinois in the US. For our non-US friends Illinois is bordered by 4 states, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky and Missouri. The western boarder with Missouri is the Mississippi river so access is limited due to the need for bridges. For the remainder of Illinois' other boarders. as mentioned there is generally a road every mile that connects with adjoining states. Given this situation there are over 400 points where a road enters Illinois from a neighboring state. You could possibly monitor the Interstates, (red lines on the map, similar to the Motorway in GB) but not all of the other 400+ entry points.

1or47185fg3r.png

Why do you hate our Iowa neighbors? :p

LOL haste makes waste. Yes Iowa does border Illinois.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We’re in the same boat - we live in a tiny branch of WV, bordered by Maryland and Virginia... you cross borders multiple times going pretty much anywhere it seems. Most people work in a different state than what they live in (our area is a “bedroom community” for people that work in Washington DC - they commute and hour and a half one way, but cost of living is far cheaper on this side of the mountain). Further complicating things is my husband now drives a company vehicle which has plates from a state 6 hours away! Early on in COVID when there were many unknowns he and his employees carried paperwork from the company stating their purpose for being out of state, but it never became much of an issue. I think Maryland had stricter laws, but we stick to WV and VA for most everything. 20-30 minutes could take us to 4 different states!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    "But then, why is Covid being such a dangerous thing if people are doing what they're supposed to be doing."

Rennie, what? They are NOT doing what they should be doing. Everyone there is wearing masks, not going to parties and weddings etc... ? Sorry but that is not correct. If they were it wouldn't be spreading like it is. One of my USA friends told me this week a guy he works with is going to a wedding with around a hundred people there. That is crazy. The couple hosting it for one could have put it off till the vaccine is out and just had a very tiny wedding with maybe just their parents for now if they are in a rush. Apparently many don't care if half their guests end up in hospital or dead as long as they have a party. Selfish? Yes. I have no idea why it's allowed. It wouldn't be here if we had high numbers of people dying.

You could be right, I could be wrong, but that's not how I interpreted Reenie's question, in context, when she wrote:
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in using masks and social distancing, staying home more, etc. Due to more efforts such as what so many people are doing, shouldn't this make a difference in what we see as a normal flu year? Just curious.

But then, why is Covid being such a dangerous thing if people are doing what they're supposed to be doing. :(

I read that (paraphrasing) as "Wouldn't the masks, social distancing and staying home reduce flu spread this year? But if people are doing what they're supposed to be doing, why is Covid so bad?"

IOW, I took that part you quoted out of context as a counterfactual, implying "but I guess people must not be doing enough of the right things, or Covid wouldn't be so bad".

Like I said, maybe I'm interpreting wrong.

Thank you. :) I *know* people aren't following the mask and social distancing recommendations. :neutral: I see it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I suppose it would be possible to stop people at borders, leaving and entering states, but logistically a nightmare for law enforcement. It’s done in states bordering Canada and Mexico, with varying degrees of success. Minnesota has miles of natural waterway borders, various rivers, and Lake Superior, that we share with Canada, No Dak, & Wisconsin, where there is limited bridge access to other jurisdictions. There are also a lot of miles of borders with abundant road access to our neighboring states, So Dak, No Dak, Iowa, Wisconsin and Canada. Multiply that times 50. Not an easy, nor inexpensive task. Millions of miles of roads in the US.

All of our individual states are part of the whole country. Governed by federal, state, and local jurisdictions. It would be a much better solution to have had a federal mandate from the beginning. Hindsight is 20/20, but, we may have had a much different outcome than the “over by Easter” (04/10/20) that we heard 9 months ago.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    So I had to go to a bigger grocery store today (Meijer) because I needed some stuff that my normal weekly stores do not carry (Aldi and Fresh Thyme). It was horrible. SO many employees and vendors not wearing masks, not wearing them correctly, or not social distancing... or a mix. I have already sent an email to corporate, but knowing that they just don't seem to care means I won't be going back. And I will be telling as many people as possible.

Good for you for complaining to corporate. That reminds me, I need to complain to Home Depot about the same but all I can find for an email is Law Enforcement Inquiries:

https://www.homedepot.com/c/Contact_Us
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in using masks and social distancing, staying home more, etc. Due to more efforts such as what so many people are doing, shouldn't this make a difference in what we see as a normal flu year? Just curious.

But then, why is Covid being such a dangerous thing if people are doing what they're supposed to be doing. :(

I've been wondering how this year's flu season will be too. I got a vaccine this year, my first in 30 years, and wonder if there are lots more like me, plus if the masking will help.

Re people doing what they are supposed to be doing, intellectually, my mother knows she is supposed to stay 6' away from people, but when we were walking today I had to remind her of this each of the three times we ran into people >.<
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've been wondering how this year's flu season will be too. I got a vaccine this year, my first in 30 years, and wonder if there are lots more like me, plus if the masking will help.

Re people doing what they are supposed to be doing, intellectually, my mother knows she is supposed to stay 6' away from people, but when we were walking today I had to remind her of this each of the three times we ran into people >.<

We haven't needed to use masks too much in most of Australia but I did hear flu numbers were way down this winter so I'd say more people got the flu vaccine. I did and made sure all my family did as well.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

We haven't needed to use masks too much in most of Australia but I did hear flu numbers were way down this winter so I'd say more people got the flu vaccine. I did and made sure all my family did as well.

Cant speak for all states - but here in South Australia- yes flu cases were WAY down on normal - which I put down to these things_ enforced lockdowns, people staying home when sick, social distancing, better hygiene and more people vaccinated.

I would be amazed if flu cases were not down in all of Australia