Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Comes now a story from Johnson City, TN -- not too far from me -- about at least one severely ill patient who still did not believe in COVID-19. That's one step beyond "I didn't think leopards would eat my face." No, it's "I don't believe in leopards" whilst leopards eat your face. I can't grok it.

Not shocked. Went to school at ETSU and lived in Jonesborough for 14 years. I know some medical people at JCMC and other nearby hospitals. It's a mess there, people don't care.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    edited December 2020
    I've been keeping a very close eye on N Dakota and S Dakota. These states were about the closest thing to an experiment in attempted herd immunity that we have in the US. I suppose the good news is that deaths are starting to go down finally (or tapering off a bit), perhaps because they reached such a saturation point. It is quite astounding that both states, with as rural as both are, are approaching death per capita numbers of the packed populations of NY and NJ, even despite the fact that therapeutics have gotten better, the strain has gotten less deadly and NY and NJ got hit before they knew how to take precautions. It's mind boggling. With that said, N Dakota's numbers spiked again yesterday. Nearly 15% in the state have already had it (by testing). So they are likely approaching 30 to 40% now. There was a lot of debate on if there even could be a herd immunity and how high that number would need to get. Some scientists thought it only needed to be in the high 40s. Sad that these states are nearly there already.

If there's a positive spin, I suppose even if you do everything wrong, even intentionally, the numbers aren't as high as some early models predicted in terms of deaths. If you extrapolate the N Dakota and S Dakota numbers, the entire US won't see the worst numbers we've heard early on, but they will be bad. We will hit 300K deaths this weekend.

This is just crazy...
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Friend is going to be one of the first non-test people to get vaccinated any day now. He's a pharmacist for a major chain and will be going out to vaccinate the medical community and nursing homes.

Awesome!! This is good to hear.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Question for the Australia and New Zealand posters...

With few to no cases, how do you feel personally about getting the vaccine as soon as you can? Will you get it as soon as it’s available to you, or will you wait?

Yes absolutely I will

I have no serious allergies and no health conditions and relatively young so not in vulnerable group.

But everyone who can, getting vaccinated is how herd immunity is created.

and I work in health care so am a risk to others as well as responsible for setting a good example.

and I want to travel to UK as soon as possible.

(there are few to no cases of measles mumps rubella in Australia too - but we dont stop vaccinating for them - because we are connected to rest of world and because vaccination keeps the status quo of low disease rates - Same thing)

Exactly!! Where I live, every child has an immunization record card issued at birth, and these vaccines are given at intervals between 2 months and 11 years old. There's a list of mandatory ones to be certified for entry to school - measles, mumps, rubella as mentioned above, plus a few others. Everybody immunized, nobody gets sick.

The other factor for us is tourism. At the moment, all arriving passengers have to show a recent COVID19 test result at the airport, then they're quarantined for a few days pending a local re-test before being allowed out to enjoy their holiday. If all locals take the vaccine, then we no longer need to quarantine foreign arrivals, and it would be a much more pleasant experience for all concerned.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2020
    is Pfizer the same vaccine as was approved and already running in UK?

why would it not be approved for US use?

I hope approving of vaccines in US isnt politicised the way Covid handling has been.

Same vaccine, differing approval regulations in different countries. Only a few countries have approved it to date. Some countries are taking a wait and see attitude, where the in place policies to limit the spread are working. Unfortunately, it’s dire circumstances in the US. It’s obvious in place recommendations are not being followed by many here, and the results are apparent by the staggering numbers. Guinea pigs, to a certain extent. Justifiable?🤷🏻‍♀️
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I'm a firm believer in using masks and social distancing, staying home more, etc. Due to more efforts such as what so many people are doing, shouldn't this make a difference in what we see as a normal flu year? Just curious.

But then, why is Covid being such a dangerous thing if people are doing what they're supposed to be doing. :(
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in using masks and social distancing, staying home more, etc. Due to more efforts such as what so many people are doing, shouldn't this make a difference in what we see as a normal flu year? Just curious.

But then, why is Covid being such a dangerous thing if people are doing what they're supposed to be doing. :(

That was the attitude of one of the politicians in the second worst hit state in the US (actually, both S Dakota and N Dakota) -- people will do what they should do on their own. N Dakota now has started a mandatory mask mandate, but S Dakota still refuses. Didn't work out so well for either of them and people don't do what they should without being forced or coerced.