30 pounds to lose challenge by March 2021

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Oh Lordy, my neighbors brought over that totally addictive toffee bark candy..the one made with saltine crackers. It is very hard to do this dieting thing during the holidays.

Those are my favorite! highly addictive !
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Not doing too well with the snacking. It's like an obsessive thing- I crave salt and a bunch of snacks are in my cupboard from my daughter and her friend (who bought snacks).

Back on track tomorrow.

I broke down and bought a jar of Macadamia Milk Chocolate Salted Caramel Clusters at Costco three days ago.
    I try to reason with myself, and say "you can have one, but only if you've exercised and only if you're under your calorie allowance - and only one!" :D

When I'm tempted by a snack food, I think about the tradeoff between pursuing my weight goal vs getting a moment's satisfaction. There's a bag of Lay's Kettle Jalapeno chips in the pantry. Yesterday, "I" [my old self] was wanting to scarf 'em down, and I felt my resolve weakening, so I savored 3 chips and walked away. Today, I ate 2 teaspoons of Haagen Dazs Peppermint ice cream. That was all I needed to satisfy the craving, no need for a bowl full.

So, I snack, but I snack minimally, and I make a conscious choice knowing there's a cost.

Perhaps the savoring and mindfully eating your snack is of the most value. Enjoying is key cause then you are aware of eating as opposed "scarfing" which is mindlessly shoving food down your throat without even realizing you ate it...at least that is in my case.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Not doing too well with the snacking. It's like an obsessive thing- I crave salt and a bunch of snacks are in my cupboard from my daughter and her friend (who bought snacks).

Back on track tomorrow.

I broke down and bought a jar of Macadamia Milk Chocolate Salted Caramel Clusters at Costco three days ago.
    I try to reason with myself, and say "you can have one, but only if you've exercised and only if you're under your calorie allowance - and only one!" :D

When I'm tempted by a snack food, I think about the tradeoff between pursuing my weight goal vs getting a moment's satisfaction. There's a bag of Lay's Kettle Jalapeno chips in the pantry. Yesterday, "I" [my old self] was wanting to scarf 'em down, and I felt my resolve weakening, so I savored 3 chips and walked away. Today, I ate 2 teaspoons of Haagen Dazs Peppermint ice cream. That was all I needed to satisfy the craving, no need for a bowl full.

So, I snack, but I snack minimally, and I make a conscious choice knowing there's a cost.

Perhaps the savoring and mindfully eating your snack is of the most value. Enjoying is key cause then you are aware of eating as opposed "scarfing" which is mindlessly shoving food down your throat without even realizing you ate it...at least that is in my case.

Precisely!

While I do try to avoid foods that aren't good for me, I still indulge in many foods I could (theoretically at least) do without. I say enjoy the foods you love, but do so sparingly and in minimal portion sizes.
    Taking small bites and truly savoring the taste is one way I get maximum satisfaction out of minimum consumption. When I crave something, I can more easily avoid it if I allow anticipation to build knowing I can have it in the near future, just not right now. That anticipation can last me for several weeks or longer.

I'm reminded of a favorite Grook of mine.
    I don't recall what it's title is, so I've provided one of my own:

ON PORTION CONTROL
    Of drink and victuals
    And such like stuff,
    A little too little
    Is just enough.
    -- Piet Hein

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    OKAY I am in, 30lbs by March 2021 we got this, i will for sure need yalls support though, loving this community.
    Start Weight: 195
    Current Weight: 185
    Goal Weight: 150

Welcome! This is a great group - check daily for motivation and let us know how you're doing. xo
  • jube152
    jube152 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 @frankwbrown @RubyRed427 @jan110144
    Wow thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out. This is great advice that I think will help a ton. I will make sure to post updates along the way. I also saw some people are looking for new recipe ideas! I love to cook and have been testing out some healthier meals so I will make sure to post the good ones. Thanks again!!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    Instant gratification. It's hard to resist.

You've probably all heard about studies they've done with children. An adult gives each child a piece of candy and tells them they can have it now, but if they wait until the adult comes back, they will get another piece. When the adult comes back a while later, how many children still have a piece of candy?

But we aren't children. We have more will power. The key, I think, is not going cold turkey on these foods, but to prolong the frequency and minimize the quantity when you do indulge.

At one point in the past, I was weighing each Friday morning, and my rule was, if I had met my weight loss goal for that week, I would be allowed something of my choice that evening or weekend. During the week, when I craved something in particular, I would think maybe that's what I'd choose that coming Friday. That seemed to be enough to help me deal with the aroma when passing by Mrs Fields Cookies, or Cinnabon, etc. at the mall.

I love Haagen Dazs ice cream. I used to eat easily half a carton at a time, sometimes more. Now, I take only a couple ounces and add a few ounces of milk. Then I enjoy something halfway between ice cream and a milkshake.

It's not whether you eat it or not, it's how often and how much when you do.