Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How often should you bathe/shower?

1234568»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I don't think "24-hour" or "48-hour" protection means that one is not expected to shower (or not to reapply deodorant again) for that length of time. I mean, you may, or you may not (24 hours between applications seems to me pretty normal for deodorant (if one doesn't workout in the meantime, at least), and consistent with showing daily), but it's rather obviously just a marketing line intended to mean it's super strong and effective and will last beyond heavy working out/sweating/hot weather, whatever. Taking it as some sort of message about how often one showers seems to me at best a rather naive take.

Similarly, whether one lives in a culture where shaving the underarms is common for women or not (is it not in Barbados?), this: "........... and here it is, I always thought underarm hair was a sign of puberty and normal for adults!!," seems a bit odd in that I'm pretty sure that women shaving under the arms in lots of places as a cultural practice is not some sort of surprise. For example, movies made in the US and other US media tends to have a, well, somewhat wide release.

For the record, I don't personally care whether or not people shave their underarms.

"My point was that all this follows fashion, and different places have different habits--just like bathing." Yeah, this.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    This thread makes me laugh. When I arrived in Italy 35 yrs ago, people didn't use deodorant. They showered multiple times a day, especially during the summer. You couldn't find deodorant in the stores, I had to buy mine in the US and bring it back with me. They used perfume here--sometimes very expensive stuff.

Women didn't shave underarms ever, and legs were only waxed for the summer. It would always throw me for a loop to go to an elegant affair, where the women were dressed to the nines with sleeveless dresses and when they lifted up an arm........

Things are very different now. All women shave underarms and stores are full of deodorants. Sometimes I think I imagined it.

........... and here it is, I always thought underarm hair was a sign of puberty and normal for adults!!

Hair under arms, on legs and on the privates is totally natural and not something people, no matter their sexual organs, should be shamed for. But being more comfortable shaving/waxing/sugaring/whatever that hair is not something people should be ashamed of either. I have literally met (online) a person who said that a man who was attracted to a woman who shaves is no better than a pedophile. Whatever a person decides to do with their body hair, as long as it's clean and not smelly, we should support their choice.

My point was that all this follows fashion, and different places have different habits--just like bathing.

Yes. Fashion and influence have a lot to do with it. Many years ago, I was fascinated with a young lady with very hairy legs. She got married and went to live in another country. Saw her a few times during those years and nothing changed for a while. Now she's returned and i notice the hair has suddenly disappeared.  I haven't found the courage yet to ask her why, but I suspect her teenaged daughter had a bit to do with it. (Teenagers usually dictate their parents fashions and practices).
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't think "24-hour" or "48-hour" protection means that one is not expected to shower (or not to reapply deodorant again) for that length of time. I mean, you may, or you may not (24 hours between applications seems to me pretty normal for deodorant (if one doesn't workout in the meantime, at least), and consistent with showing daily), but it's rather obviously just a marketing line intended to mean it's super strong and effective and will last beyond heavy working out/sweating/hot weather, whatever. Taking it as some sort of message about how often one showers seems to me at best a rather naive take.

Similarly, whether one lives in a culture where shaving the underarms is common for women or not (is it not in Barbados?), this: "........... and here it is, I always thought underarm hair was a sign of puberty and normal for adults!!," seems a bit odd in that I'm pretty sure that women shaving under the arms in lots of places as a cultural practice is not some sort of surprise. For example, movies made in the US and other US media tends to have a, well, somewhat wide release.

For the record, I don't personally care whether or not people shave their underarms.

"My point was that all this follows fashion, and different places have different habits--just like bathing." Yeah, this.

Thanks for enlightening me on the meaning of "24-hour" or "48-hour" protection. We've often made jokes about people in America spraying deodorant in places where they really should be washing, people in England only bathing for a doctor's visit, and bathrooms in France being used as storerooms. Maybe all our jokes were based on fake news.

Regarding armpit hair, I've been looking out for it a lot more over the last few years since I became aware, and there's still quite a wide variation in practice.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    This thread makes me laugh. When I arrived in Italy 35 yrs ago, people didn't use deodorant. They showered multiple times a day, especially during the summer. You couldn't find deodorant in the stores, I had to buy mine in the US and bring it back with me. They used perfume here--sometimes very expensive stuff.

Women didn't shave underarms ever, and legs were only waxed for the summer. It would always throw me for a loop to go to an elegant affair, where the women were dressed to the nines with sleeveless dresses and when they lifted up an arm........

Things are very different now. All women shave underarms and stores are full of deodorants. Sometimes I think I imagined it.

........... and here it is, I always thought underarm hair was a sign of puberty and normal for adults!!

Hair under arms, on legs and on the privates is totally natural and not something people, no matter their sexual organs, should be shamed for. But being more comfortable shaving/waxing/sugaring/whatever that hair is not something people should be ashamed of either. I have literally met (online) a person who said that a man who was attracted to a woman who shaves is no better than a pedophile. Whatever a person decides to do with their body hair, as long as it's clean and not smelly, we should support their choice.

My point was that all this follows fashion, and different places have different habits--just like bathing.

Yes, I got that. I should have erased the part that quoted you also to make sure it was understood that I was replaying to Tony. I'm sorry for the confusion.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

In the US. the FDA only requires that a brand cut back on sweat by 20 percent to boast "all day protection" on its label, the Wall Street Journal reported. An antiperspirant claiming "extra strength" only has to cut down on wetness by 30 percent.

8 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Deodorant

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    So like I said, a marketing line. It has nothing to do with people in the US thinking they no longer need to shower or whatever Tony was claiming.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

Yes, I got that. I should have erased the part that quoted you also to make sure it was understood that I was replaying to Tony. I'm sorry for the confusion.

No worries, I just wanted it clear what my position was.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    freda78 wrote: »
    This is fake news my friend. I don't know a single soul who doesn't shower or have a bath on a daily basis. I am curious to know your sources on this?

your source must be wrong because I dont know anyone myself who fits the description :*

Even though several posters in the thread said they did themselves :*

My response was in relation to the aspersion that British people only shower every 2-3 days, hence the bolded text in the comment I to which I replied. I can see many people in here don't wash daily, which is entirely up to them and no judgement on my behalf. However, I can offer you my anecdotal evidence, as the means to survey a nation are beyond me, that British culture, at least in the South of the country, is to wash daily. As a researcher I'm aware of the limitations of my anecdotal knowledge, however coupled with the YouGov report linked above which shows a higher percentage of daily washers in the South, my anecdotal evidence gains some numerical support and I am therefore happy to maintain my mild outrage at such a suggestion towards my hygiene practices 😉

You are mixing up washing and showering I think. I wash every day; I do not shower every day.

And most people, I would imagine, do wash regularly whatever method they might choose.

I have come across a few stink-pots in my time and it pretty much seemed to be a lack of deodorant compounded by a lack of regular clothes changes rather than an issue of not enough showers.

Get sweaty at work, don't use a deodorant and then wear the same clothes the next day and it doesn't matter how much you wash!

I live in the south east of England.

And I've heard of some people who use deodorant INSTEAD OF bathing or showering. I laugh everytime I read the labels and see stuff like 24 hour or 48 hour protection. I use deodorant, but not as a substitute for water and soap.

I had coworkers who would go to the gym and work out on their lunch hour and come back to the office absolutely reeking of cologne or perfume or body spray because they didn't have time to shower. I'd rather have smelled a bit of sweat, frankly. One fellow's cologne would linger in a room for 10 minutes after he'd left.

I agree I'd much rather smell sweat than artificial fragrance.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    I have been meaning to click on this thread for days lol!!! I was almost worried about the results but glad to see y'all are clean ;)
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    It depends on the person and lifestyle, as well as what your shower habits are. I have oily hair, and need to shower (with shampoo and conditioner) daily, or else I look hella greasy. People always tell me that this isn't a good idea, but a) I have very healthy hair down to my waist, these habits aren't making it die and fall out at all b) I've tried leaving it but as I said, my hair looks wet with grease. I have friends who only need to shampoo once a week, but shower everyother day with soap. If you workout/sweat a lot, or smell a bunch, showering daily is probably for the best. See what your skin/smell/hair situation is when you experiment with showering amounts to get an idea of what your body wants.