One Meal A Day aka OMAD

Options
Hello!
Anyone tried to do OMAD or doing right now? Any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you, Isabel!

Replies

• mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for more than 2 years. In my opinion, omad goes best with keto. I couldn't bear doing one meal a day with high carbs because I would be in and out of ketosis and that would give me mood swings. On the now defunct /r/omad subreddit, most users were on a high carb diet, but that never worked for me.
  • mariomicro
    Options
    How do you get 1500 calories in one meal while still getting sufficient nutrients?

You basically add all the food you would/should eat in one day and you eat it in a window of 1 hour or so. The added bonus is that it gives you the motivation and the discipline to avoid snacks that you would forget to count.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    There is a special OMAD Group - lots of info, not much activity. Here's the link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/20634-omad-revolution

Have you already started it? Why did you choose this? How do you get 1500 calories in one meal while still getting sufficient nutrients?

This has always been my question. I'm currently doing just two big meals plus occasional dessert (often something like cheese), and it's hard enough to get all my cals when I also meet my protein and nutrient goals (I like 2 meals for a deficit at the moment, since it fits my schedule and workout preferences, but will probably add another meal or snack for maintenance or if I change up my workout timing -- I lost 90 lbs back in the day doing 3 meals, no snacks).

There have been people here off and on who do it. I recall one guy who was really into it (he was pretty high carb), but he's not here anymore.
  • mariomicro
    Options
    mariomicro wrote: »
    How do you get 1500 calories in one meal while still getting sufficient nutrients?

You basically add all the food you would/should eat in one day and you eat it in a window of 1 hour or so. The added bonus is that it gives you the motivation and the discipline to avoid snacks that you would forget to count.

Well of course I understand the logistics.

I just don't know that I could get enough fruits and vegetables without being overly stuffed. I guess if you do KETO it would work, but I actually like fiber and nutrition.
    You can get fibre on keto from avocados, chia seeds, nuts, spinach, broccoli, linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (in moderation). Meat has more nutrients, especially vitamins, than fruit and veggies.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    One meal a day? I would be so sad. I am a perpetual grazer. I'd lose my mind if I could only eat once a day.
  • mariomicro
    edited December 2020
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well of course I understand the logistics.

I just don't know that I could get enough fruits and vegetables without being overly stuffed. I guess if you do KETO it would work, but I actually like fiber and nutrition.
    You can get fibre on keto from avocados, chia seeds, nuts, spinach, broccoli, linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (in moderation). Meat has more nutrients, especially vitamins, than fruit and veggies.

There are certain nutrients that are higher in meats but you can't make that blanket statement as it would be wrong.
    One the two statements below is right and one is wrong:

1) Meat has more nutrients than vegetables.

2) Vegetable have more nutrients than meat.

It is not about a blanket statement. A poster doubted that one could get enough fiber and nutrition on keto and I replied that this is not true. If anybody has evidence against my statement, please can they post it.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    One meal a day? I would be so sad. I am a perpetual grazer. I'd lose my mind if I could only eat once a day.

Haha someone can disagree all they want. I know myself and my relationship with food. I WOULD be miserable. 😂

Not sure why it warranted a disagree. There are endless diet choices because we are all individuals. I would also fail miserably on OMAD, so I’m curious as to why OP would choose this. Maybe they feel they would enjoy it..... or maybe it’s just the fad of the week wherever they are in the world 😜
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

Haha someone can disagree all they want. I know myself and my relationship with food. I WOULD be miserable. 😂

Not sure why it warranted a disagree. There are endless diet choices because we are all individuals. I would also fail miserably on OMAD, so I’m curious as to why OP would choose this. Maybe they feel they would enjoy it..... or maybe it’s just the fad of the week wherever they are in the world 😜

I mean... It would help with my hatred of needing to decide WHAT to eat all the time... But I think all I would do is think about the food I couldn't eat! Haha
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I do OMD. It works with my lifestyle and enjoy it. Of course it’s not for everyone. Try out a few types of eating patterns to see what works best with you.