Do you feel shame when buying junk food?

Options
chuckle_bunny
chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
I notice whenever I put junk food in my cart I'll try to like cover it up with a pack of whole wheat wraps. And when I use the self-checkout I look both ways and then scan it very quickly.

Although one time it didn't scan right and I started freaking out like "oh *kitten* someone's gonna see me buying this bazooka of cookie dough"

I don't know why I care so much.

On Sunday mornings I like to go to Whole Foods and get 2 donuts and last week the clerk goes "Wow! Who are you sharing with!" I just laughed it off. I know they're trying to be nice but it's also like, why can't I have 2 donuts? This is a Whole Foods. They're healthier donuts. You don't have to scream into the intercom about my breakfast of choice.

Even the girl behind me in line, with her coconut water and basket of cherries, was giving me a look like "Seriously??? 2 donuts?"

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I don't cover it up, but sometimes feel like a crazy person b/c I'll put (whatever) in my cart, walk around the store a bit stressing about it, then go put it back on the shelf.

Or I just go to the cracker or chips section and look at all of them, like pace back and forth, read the nutrition values on the package and shamefully reshelf them (...not today Vikka, not today)

Truth - I have cheese crackers in my car trunk (bet you want to know why!)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Vikka_V It's part of your emergency survival plan...just in case and I don't really want to go there but it's understood and appreciated. Really. <3
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No. Kinda wish I did. Maybe I wouldn’t buy as much.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I eat way too much sugar. Yes, I'm aware of it...at the mercy of my Sweet-tooth. I have to do some mental gymastics to be content eating...IE glucose for my brain...glucose for my exercise. I burn most of it but its not really something you should do as an adult lol.

Its okay to have a treat now and then. Have to live a little but yeah, I eat candy and clif bars on daily basis.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Wow, I actually feel a little weird when it's only "healthy" food during a shopping trip. I once had a checkout guy comment on how well I eat and I told him that my cookie and chocolate inventory was backed up.

I also remember the days my Walmart cart was full of those 100 calorie hostess mini cupcakes (1 point per package...3 to a package). No shame there either.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    Now I wanna go get some donuts
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just think to myself... These are for the kids. Usually that is true.

Except in a moment of weakness. Haha
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    No but I also rarely buy it. I do believe in moderation so on the rare occasion when hot Cheetos get in my cart, I don’t feel guilty.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    YES Oh I cannot tell you how many times I played games indulging in my ice cream habit. But it only happened(s) when I'm not at a good weight. :( Now that I'm climbing back up there, food trips are planned(how many things can I get at that store, then at the next store without people passing judgement or giving me that eye, that type of idiotic thinking :() When I was thin, it never bothered me what was in my cart. I could've unloaded the whole ice cream aisle onto the check-out belt and I wouldn't have batted an eye.
    I'd like to think nobody gives a Cr@p what's in my cart but I sure AF judge myself. :(
    ATM just trying to slide past this week then I'm jumping back on track and dragging my butt back onto the treadmill and throwing away leftover crap. If dh wants it, he better hide it.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought a box of 10,000 tampons at Costco, the cashier said, “Wow how many holes you gonna stick those in?!” and I was like “YOU SCOUNDREL!” and then I tore a leg off my rotisserie chicken and threw it at him.

My history of hiding junk food and binge eating could fill a novel. Hey, you ever been to TWO drive-thrus for yourself and hidden the food from the first from the second cashier? Ha, ha. Good times. It’s been awhile since I did that but I still have related habits and tons of shame.
    ^^Good point. I don’t feel the shame shopping anymore because I’m buying for both of us, not just me. I feel the shame eating, though, or getting junk from the drive-thru if it’s only for me. It amazes me that people can eat in their cars openly without shame. That is impossible for me.

Thanks for starting this thread. It’s getting me thinking about some stuff I don’t like to think about but ought to.

Omg so I'm not the only one

<3