What do you think?

Options
How does everybody think this looks for a beginner?

Monday - abs and cardio
Tuesday - Arms
Wednesday - off
Thursday - booty
Friday - abs and cardio
Sat - full body
Sun -off

Replies

• niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    An established training program would probably be a better option... there is a sticky around here for it

What do you mean by established training programme? I will have a look thank you :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    An established training program would probably be a better option... there is a sticky around here for it

What do you mean by established training programme? I will have a look thank you :)

Here is the link for the sticky.... most good information is at the top of every forum.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not enough information about what you're doing to have any kind of opinion, really. The advice above about having a specific program is probably the best way to go!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How does everybody think this looks for a beginner?

Monday - abs and cardio
    Tuesday - Arms
    Wednesday - off
    Thursday - booty
    Friday - abs and cardio
    Sat - full body
    Sun -off

Sorry not trying to be negative but.....

It looks like a list of body parts plus the word "cardio".
    Only you know what your goals are and what you are intending to do in terms of exercise selection and duration.

Hard to escape the conclusion you would be better off defining your goals and then pick a programme written by an expert to match those goals rather than trying to wing it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Are you choosing your own exercises or following someone?
  • niamhdean97
    Options
    Sorry should have stated I'm doing a 15-30 minute YouTube video. Cardio twice a week and the rest strength.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yah, not liking it.

I would recommend 3x per week full body as a default for most goals and go from there.

If you are novel to training, any cookie cutter program will more than likely be fine for a few months.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I agree with a full body routine. And any of the millions of them online should be fine for a beginner. Just find one that matches up with what you have available to use, for example if you have dumbbells find a program that uses dumbbells.
  • niamhdean97
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Yah, not liking it.

I would recommend 3x per week full body as a default for most goals and go from there.

If you are novel to training, any cookie cutter program will more than likely be fine for a few months.

Oh can you explain a little more. I'm very new to it all :)
  • niamhdean97
    Options
    Yah, not liking it.

Also where would I find a program?
  • niamhdean97
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I agree with a full body routine. And any of the millions of them online should be fine for a beginner. Just find one that matches up with what you have available to use, for example if you have dumbbells find a program that uses dumbbells.

So 3x full body routine a week? And that's it? And find them on YouTube?
  • sijomial
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yah, not liking it.

Chef_Barbell posted a link for you. It can also be found in the most helpful posts pinned to the top of this forum.

For cardio if you don't have any particular fitness goals then anything you enjoy will be fine.
    If you do have particular goals then if you let people know what they are you can get targetted advice.
  • niamhdean97
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yah, not liking it.

Chef_Barbell posted a link for you. It can also be found in the most helpful posts pinned to the top of this forum.

For cardio if you don't have any particular fitness goals then anything you enjoy will be fine.
    If you do have particular goals then if you let people know what they are you can get targetted advice.

Thank you. I'm looking to loose about 1.5 stone and tone up. They are my main goals.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Yah, not liking it.

Thank you. I'm looking to loose about 1.5 stone and tone up. They are my main goals.

They really aren't cardio exercise goals though.

Examples:
    Run a 5k or a marathon
    Cycle a 100km or 100 mile distance.
    Row 2,000m in under 10 mins.
    Play football/rugby/squash/or any other cardio dominant sport....

Losing weight is down to a calorie deficit and it's unrealistic for most people to create that from exercise (which also isn't how this site is disigned to be used).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yah, not liking it.

Weight loss mostly happens in the kitchen in the form of a calorie deficit. Exercise for health and fitness.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Yah, not liking it.

Weight loss mostly happens in the kitchen in the form of a calorie deficit. Exercise for health and fitness.

^^^

This! I exercise for my mental well being and my general health. I eat in a deficit to lose weight. You don’t need to lift weights OR do cardio to lose weight. It’s usually not sustainable to use it as a tool for weight loss anyway unless you have ALOT of time. It takes me so much less time to eat those yummy calories than to burn them off.

How many times per week and for how long you work out depends on goals and well, simply how much of your time do you want to devote to it? Full body 3x a week is perfectly fine, especially for someone just starting out. I lift 4 days a week for 45 min to 1 hr usually (sometimes 5) with an upper/lower split. My husband does 6 times a week, but our goals are different. We both exercise in some form at least 6, usually 7 days a week, but I’ve been doing that for AGES and was still 60+ lbs overweight until I started weighing my foods and paying attention to what I was eating...
  • niamhdean97
    Options
    Yah, not liking it.

They really aren't cardio exercise goals though.

Examples:
    Run a 5k or a marathon
    Cycle a 100km or 100 mile distance.
    Row 2,000m in under 10 mins.
    Play football/rugby/squash/or any other cardio dominant sport....

Losing weight is down to a calorie deficit and it's unrealistic for most people to create that from exercise (which also isn't how this site is disigned to be used).

I am in a calorie deficit as well but I know exercise will help the process. I am a single mum to a 3 year old so it is very difficult for me to do those kind of things that you have said so that's why YouTube and online programmes are what I am using.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I should also say... There are a lot of body weight routines on YouTube that will also do wonders. Pushups, mountain climbers, burpees, leg raises, bodyweight squats, lunges, skipping... They all use minimal equipment and are incredible to incorporate.

Except burpees. I hate burpees.