• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Except burpees. I hate burpees.
    which is why they are so effective :wink:

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I follow Sydney Cummings. She posts a new workout every morning. The workouts rotate full body, legs, upper push, cardio and abs, upper pull, glutes, and a stretch. Caroline Girvan also has programs, workouts, and calendars on her website.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did Caroline Girvan's 10week Epic program! And I highly, highly recommend! The videos and calendars can still be found on YouTube or her website. The program consists of 5 workouts/week (30min-1hr workouts) that are mostly strength and resistance training (you will need a pair of dumbbells and mat). I believe her workouts would be considered more intermediate/advanced, but you can start with her Epic Beginners Series (5 days) to get a taste. She does a brilliant job programming each week with progress and challenge in mind as the weeks tick by.

As I was a beginner, I just followed each day's workout as Caroline already programmed the body parts that will be worked on, so I didn't have to figure out the training plan on my own and then search YT for the workouts. If you don't think you can make the Epic program work in your schedule and lifestyle, she's recently uploaded shorter workouts 10-30min that are still pretty intense and good workouts.

However, I would again recommend considering doing the entire Epic program because 1) the training is very well thought out, so you will see progress in your strength and results with each week, 2) you don't have to think about what to do; Caroline's figured it out for you; and 3) one of the best things about being a beginner when it comes to strength and resistance training, is that beginners tend to make a lot of physical progress and gains in the beginning. It's really very motivating! If you are already working on the calorie deficit AND you do a consistent and planned out program, you will really like the results! 4) Also, if it's your thing, the online/social media community who are doing Caroline's program are positive and encouraging.

I haven't tried these other YouTube Fitness Instructors, but I've also heard great things about Sydney Cummings and Heather Robertson has a 12week program that I heard was good (although apparently more jumping, which I'm not as keen on).
  • niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    msapplek wrote: »
    I did Caroline Girvan's 10week Epic program! And I highly, highly recommend! The videos and calendars can still be found on YouTube or her website. The program consists of 5 workouts/week (30min-1hr workouts) that are mostly strength and resistance training (you will need a pair of dumbbells and mat). I believe her workouts would be considered more intermediate/advanced, but you can start with her Epic Beginners Series (5 days) to get a taste. She does a brilliant job programming each week with progress and challenge in mind as the weeks tick by.

As I was a beginner, I just followed each day's workout as Caroline already programmed the body parts that will be worked on, so I didn't have to figure out the training plan on my own and then search YT for the workouts. If you don't think you can make the Epic program work in your schedule and lifestyle, she's recently uploaded shorter workouts 10-30min that are still pretty intense and good workouts.

However, I would again recommend considering doing the entire Epic program because 1) the training is very well thought out, so you will see progress in your strength and results with each week, 2) you don't have to think about what to do; Caroline's figured it out for you; and 3) one of the best things about being a beginner when it comes to strength and resistance training, is that beginners tend to make a lot of physical progress and gains in the beginning. It's really very motivating! If you are already working on the calorie deficit AND you do a consistent and planned out program, you will really like the results! 4) Also, if it's your thing, the online/social media community who are doing Caroline's program are positive and encouraging.

I haven't tried these other YouTube Fitness Instructors, but I've also heard great things about Sydney Cummings and Heather Robertson has a 12week program that I heard was good (although apparently more jumping, which I'm not as keen on).

I did see this and thought it would be good but like you it is quite a chunk of time a day. Also would strength training help and would I see a physical difference if I do carry extra in places as I am worried I wouldn't see a difference as thought I had to focus on cardio to lose the excess weight before building muscle and getting lean
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I don't really consider 30min-1 hr a large chunk of the day. If 1 hr is too long, you could split it into 2 workouts. You don't have to do cardio first to lose, then gain muscle. That is just the long way around. Why wait to gain strength? Work to maintain your muscle as you lose weight so that more of the weight loss will be fat. Calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider 30min-1 hr a large chunk of the day. If 1 hr is too long, you could split it into 2 workouts. You don't have to do cardio first to lose, then gain muscle. That is just the long way around. Why wait to gain strength? Work to maintain your muscle as you lose weight so that more of the weight loss will be fat. Calorie deficit for weight loss.

I suppose an hour is a lot to fit in being a single parent to a 3 year old and full time uni student, but yeah maybe if I split it to two it might work. From looking at her programme it is just strength and not cardio, is it important to do both or will just strength be sufficient. As a 10 week programme it is a big commitment
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Like I said, I follow Sydney. If 10 weeks is too long, try Caroline's beginner plan first, or follow Sydney for January. She starts a new program every month. She hasn't had anything over 50min in Dec. Most are 40-45 min.
    It really depends on what you want as to what will be sufficient. If you want more aerobic capacity, then you will need to incorporate some cardio. If you just want to lose weight and maintain muscle, then strength train and calorie deficit.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If time is an issue for you checkout Bikini Body Mommy or MadFit. They “do” two different things but one may work for you. Good luck!