Anyone else waiting until after the holiday?

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I feel you. I did really well for the most part, still lost but these last 2 months I needed a break from counting and logging. That break put me up about 5-6 pounds and I want to get a hold of this before it puts me right back where I started in Dec. 2019.

I also need to get my veggie game back up, I need to stop eating out/eating TV dinners and cooking 99% of my meals again. I canceled my gym membership mid-Summer and I just purchased a spin bike, and I’ll join the peloton app so I can take classes once it’s put together on Tuesday. My exercise has mostly stayed on point, except for when my body and mind made the winter blues transition (thank God, I’ve finally crossed that bridge). So now I have something to do when I don’t have zoom dance classes.

I think 2020 was a beast to most people. I lost my job and started grinding/clenching my teeth in my sleep which has caused some dental issues. Thankfully, I’ve found a new job and I’m slowly working on getting my dental issues under control. I think if you survived 2020, that’s a huge win and something to be proud of.

Your dentist may have already given you a guard but if not, after I lost the one my dentist made for me, I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/DenTek-Comfort-Fit-Protection-Nightime-Grinding/dp/B002WTCK4Q/

Thank you for the recommendation. I am supposed to be picking up the one my dentist fitted me for on Wednesday. Fingers crossed that it fits properly.

I trimmed the back 1/4" off the one I got from my dentist to make it more comfortable.

Thank you for this tip. Did you just cut it with scissors or a knife? Or ask the dentist office to trim it for you?

Scissors myself. The DDS had mentioned that I might want to do this.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Waiting a few extra day to start is ok as long as you start. But the real question is how long you will stick to it?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    melissalan wrote: »
    It took me 30 days to lose 3 pounds, and I gained it all back in the past week because of overeating and minimal exercise while on Christmas vacay. I feel like crap.
    Trying to get started back today, but there’s still candy and other sweets here staring me in the face...

Hey, hang in there. Decent chance there's still water weight/temporary digestive tract contents still showing up on the scale.

Sure, 10,500 cumulative calories over maintenance is possible in a week . . . but IME if taken in a very short time period like that, it doesn't all land on my body in the way I'd expect. Give it a week or two, see where you are, before feeling bad about yourself. (Heck, don't feel bad about yourself, even if then. Burns zero extra calories, y'know?)

I tend to drop water weight fairly fast, I admit, being post-menopausal and all . . . I'm down 3 pounds already from my day-after-Christmas weight (created by eating probably 2-3x maintenance for more than just that day). That's just from getting back on my routine maintenance plan (with it's little 150-ish calorie banking goal), zero workouts since then. Bodies are weird. 🤷‍♀️

One option: Get a little bit of a workout in, if you have time for it. For me, something like Christmas candy juices the exercise intensity quite nicely. 😉
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    It took me 30 days to lose 3 pounds, and I gained it all back in the past week because of overeating and minimal exercise while on Christmas vacay. I feel like crap.
    Trying to get started back today, but there’s still candy and other sweets here staring me in the face...

I get it. I always wonder why it seems so easy to put on weight rather than take it off. If a person can gain 3# in a week, they ought to be able to shed 3# once they get back to it. :/ Sometimes it does happen like that, as Ann pointed out with water weight. Sometimes it doesn't.
    Just don't give up!! Keep steady with what you were doing before and it'll happen again. You can and will do it. :)
    Either make a date to start(I know many people don't feel that way but personally it's something I need to work out in my mind, stock the healthier foods, etc.) OR get rid of all those tempting goodies somehow. I've been known to throw stuff in the garbage(I know, wasteful :() or give away things or even make dh hide them.
  • eijaj
    eijaj Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I think that human brain works very well with set dates or even new sceneries to mentally prepare for the new. Jan 1st or any other date set you ahead marks end of something and a start of new, and it might be a great way to start a new project. Also I know that it took me a looong time to mentally prepare myself. I don´t think I would have had any change to start a year or even 6 months earlier than I did, with the amount of stress I had at the time, I just wasn´t ready. When I finally started, the stress was not that much less, but I still knew that I was mentally ready for this lifestyle change and then it came easy.

And also I think it is ok to start one step at a time. That worked for me. I first kept a food journal without making much changes, then the changes came naturally one at a time. Same with adding exercise. I didn´t change everything at once, and it has worked for me thus far.

ETA: I think it is great that you are already here thinking and planning, finding peer support even if you are not making many changes yet. I wish I would have had the foresight to do that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I get it. I always wonder why it seems so easy to put on weight rather than take it off. If a person can gain 3# in a week, they ought to be able to shed 3# once they get back to it. :/ Sometimes it does happen like that, as Ann pointed out with water weight. Sometimes it doesn't.

RIGHT? so unfair LOL
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There are times when we simply need to give ourselves a break.

Periods (weeks) of our lives can be emotionally and mentally challenging and exhausting.

'Healthy' not only includes a number on a scale, but also how our state of mental and emotional well being are.

When the pendulum shifts too far in any one direction, it's time to reassess and take a short break to be able to clarify the mind.

Whether you need until this Sunday or next Sunday doesn't matter. What matters is coming back to 'it' with direction and a healthy attitude. This is derived from a culmination of physical, emotional and your mental state.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,503 Member
    Options

...I just purchased a spin bike, and I’ll join the peloton app so I can take classes once it’s put together on Tuesday.

I firmly believe that my spin bike and Peloton app saved me this year. My gym closed in early March and never reopened and I floundered for several weeks. I would get on my bike but never push myself like I would in a spin class. I got a free trial of the app in April and was instantly hooked. They have so much more than just cycling classes!! Best $$ I ever spent.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

...I just purchased a spin bike, and I’ll join the peloton app so I can take classes once it’s put together on Tuesday.

I firmly believe that my spin bike and Peloton app saved me this year. My gym closed in early March and never reopened and I floundered for several weeks. I would get on my bike but never push myself like I would in a spin class. I got a free trial of the app in April and was instantly hooked. They have so much more than just cycling classes!! Best $$ I ever spent.

I've done two spin classes, 2 of the post ride stretches, and a meditation class and I feel that it's definitely worth the money, even though I'm still in the free trial phase. Luckily, when I signed up they were doing 2 months free, so I'll start paying for it at the end of February. And I will gladly give them my money.