30 pounds to lose challenge by March 2021

Options

Replies

• karahlyn2
    karahlyn2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all, for our New Years Eve we will be eating early but still celebrating with some
    Champagne! Starting January first, my husband and I will be doing the Dry January challenge. This is mostly for our long term health, as we need to cut back our alcohol intake. But any advice you all have on how to avoid temptation would be greatly appreciated! It will be especially hard for me while cooking — I always enjoy sipping a little red wine while making dinner so I will miss this ritual. Thanks!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    karahlyn2 wrote: »
    Hi all, for our New Years Eve we will be eating early but still celebrating with some
    Champagne! Starting January first, my husband and I will be doing the Dry January challenge. This is mostly for our long term health, as we need to cut back our alcohol intake. But any advice you all have on how to avoid temptation would be greatly appreciated! It will be especially hard for me while cooking — I always enjoy sipping a little red wine while making dinner so I will miss this ritual. Thanks!
    https://www.today.com/health/dry-january-what-it-what-are-benefits-women-t146331

There is a Dry January app you could keep track on. There are also numerous articles online about this. I have been cutting back on alcohol for the last few years; it's been a journey not a sprint.

When I do dry January, I make it non-negotionable. I will not drink. Period. I once went in January with friends to Nashville and we bar hopped the whole weekend and I still didn't drink. Set your goal and stick with it. No exception. There will be some temptations especially when cooking. I used to love drinking wine when cooking.

Another possible trick could be get some non-alcoholic beer like Heineken OO and that may help,

You may want to have some candy nearby, because alcohol is sugar, and you may crave alcohol so pop a piece of candy in your mouth to get that dopamine kick.

One last thing, cravings last about 6-10 min. so keep busy and it will pass. Have tea on hand.

I also treated myself to nice coffee drinks instead of alcohol. Anything to fill that void, because alcohol was a habit for me.
    Best wishes! IT's only one month! You can do it!

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    I got down 42lbs and kind of lost motivation. I actually got down 45 but gained 3 back. Could be worse. Anyway, I've only got 34lbs lefts and I really need to do it, I'm lucky I haven't gained back more. Anything lost by March is good with me!

SW: 226
    CW: 184
    GW: 150

You're wise to stop the gain at 3 pounds. I gained 20 in the matter of Covid months in isolation. I should have never let that get so far; now, I have a lot to lose and I should have stopped the weight gain at 3 pounds like you.
  • Stud47
    Stud47 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

51 yo mâle

SW: 193
    CW: 172
    GW: 132

Start 1/1/21............172

Sunday Weigh Ins:

1/3/21
    1/10/21