Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Some more of our trees:

pez0pxhq3c31.jpg

This is the Peanuts/Disney tree. Note the lighted tree skirt

The Star Trek tree. Note the USS Enterprise tree topper. I made that tree skirt
    62xo8j0cen9u.jpg

Michele
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Nice quiet day.
    I felt a bit lonely when going for a walk alone at about 3pm, but otherwise it was a quite a pleasant day. I embraced and welcomed the alone feeling for a moment. I think going for a walk alone is nicer in the morning. I was glad to have slept most of the night and slept late (very rare for me).

I have said this before, but I used to avoid the busy streets and walk on the empty streets but ever since the emptiness of COVID I prefer the busier streets (without too many cars).

Quite cold. I had thought to sit in the park to look at resolutions a bit, but really too cold for me to sit more than a short moment.
    Getting an espresso at the web café on the way back gave me a lift!

@Heather I'm glad I'm not one of those who planned to swim in the English Channel today! :D

I have eaten quite healthily so far today. :)
    As per aim to have sugar only 2x a week max I said good-by for now to carrot cake bought 2 days ago. Cut remains into 8 thin slices, 40g each, and the rest in the freezer where that can last 4 months. A small slice today hit the spot!

Have tracked, so far.
    Have yet to meditate, tidy and do paperwork. (my 4 habits I'm working on developing this week).
    I'm doing good on calories in calories out so far today but may go on the recumbent out of boredom plus feeling a bit of a chill.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @OregonMother Flea, that sounds like an absolute nightmare, what you went through (in spoiler). You are very big to try to move forward and have a relationship with. You don't have to answer of course, and maybe it's too far, and surely may sound simplistic, but have you guys ever talked things out, with a quite a bit of distance? Sometimes that can help (even with a professional helper) and sometimes not.

AS FOR MEALS ON WHEELS:

I think with a call or two or a search online you can find out is she's eligible for meals on wheels.

I saw this online "Each local community sets its own payment policies based on its needs and resources."

I believe often assets are calculated differently than income.

I have a friend who's mom was quite elderly (in France) and so they would pay a local restaurant (in a tiny village) to deliver her food maybe 3x a week! It was possibly more expensive, like 12 euros for a full meal, but she probably only ate half a meal per meal.

I am sure a friend's mom has had meals on wheels but I don't know the financial details. She was a homeowner.

A couple of years ago I was taking care of my sister's stuff (60ish and disabled for life since teens-schizophrenic, but able to live on her own - almost always has- and was recovering from major cancer).

I was surprised how much was possible. it took many hours for many days, very diligently, but then she was fairly set up for a while. It's 2-3 years on and she still has a helper coming 2x a week as of last news. Her revenue is very low, and she has no assets to speak of. But she gets a lot of aid, thank goodness. She had a social worker who was able to help orient me as to possible services available that I could follow up on.

It might well depend on the city and state, in terms of how much service is available.

I found this for Oregon!

In some places there is the option of paying full price (maybe 8 dollars per meal) if one is too well off to benefit otherwise.

https://www.councilonaging.org/find-help/food-nutrition/meals-on-wheels/

"MEALS ON WHEELS ELIGIBILITY
    To be eligible, older adults need to be aged 60 or over and either be home-bound or have difficulty shopping or cooking for themselves. Our case managers do a home visit to assess eligibility for the Meals on Wheels program as well as many other programs we have.

CONTACT US
    Please call today to find out more about Meals on Wheels: (541) 678-5483."
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Michele: Your tree is a beauty, and your forest of trees is amazing!! :bigsmile:

Rita: I love your photo. You have a great smile. :flowerforyou:

Flea: You are lucky to have the ability to visit your mom. :heart: I hope her health troubles ease away soon. Regarding Meals on Wheels: My friend delivered meals on wheels from the senior center here for many years and I went with her a few times. The food is/was prepared in their kitchen and delivered to those who are homebound. They paid a moderate fee for the meal they received. Many went to the senior center and enjoyed a meal together—until Covid came along. I don’t know anything about meals at the Senior Center or home deliveries now. In your situation, I would contact the senior center nearest to your mom and find out what is available. :heart:

Katla in cloudy NW Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    @OregonMother Flea, that sounds like an absolute nightmare, what you went through (in spoiler). You are very big to try to move forward and have a relationship with. You don't have to answer of course, and maybe it's too far, and surely may sound simplistic, but have you guys ever talked things out, with a quite a bit of distance? Sometimes that can help (even with a professional helper) and sometimes not.

AS FOR MEALS ON WHEELS:

I think with a call or two or a search online you can find out is she's eligible for meals on wheels.

I saw this online "Each local community sets its own payment policies based on its needs and resources."

I believe often assets are calculated differently than income.

I have a friend who's mom was quite elderly (in France) and so they would pay a local restaurant (in a tiny village) to deliver her food maybe 3x a week! It was possibly more expensive, like 12 euros for a full meal, but she probably only ate half a meal per meal.

I am sure a friend's mom has had meals on wheels but I don't know the financial details. She was a homeowner.

A couple of years ago I was taking care of my sister's stuff (60ish and disabled for life since teens-schizophrenic, but able to live on her own - almost always has- and was recovering from major cancer).

I was surprised how much was possible. it took many hours for many days, very diligently, but then she was fairly set up for a while. It's 2-3 years on and she still has a helper coming 2x a week as of last news. Her revenue is very low, and she has no assets to speak of. But she gets a lot of aid, thank goodness. She had a social worker who was able to help orient me as to possible services available that I could follow up on.

It might well depend on the city and state, in terms of how much service is available.

I found this for Oregon!

In some places there is the option of paying full price (maybe 8 dollars per meal) if one is too well off to benefit otherwise.

https://www.councilonaging.org/find-help/food-nutrition/meals-on-wheels/

"MEALS ON WHEELS ELIGIBILITY
    To be eligible, older adults need to be aged 60 or over and either be home-bound or have difficulty shopping or cooking for themselves. Our case managers do a home visit to assess eligibility for the Meals on Wheels program as well as many other programs we have.

CONTACT US
    Please call today to find out more about Meals on Wheels: (541) 678-5483."

Thank you!! This is very encouraging. She is in Washington, so it is a little different. I need to ask her what her yearly income is -- not an easy conversation, but manageable.

Yes, my niece and I have talked things out quite a few times -- not professionally -- but honestly, and we have come to peace.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Michele: Your tree is a beauty, and your forest of trees is amazing!! :bigsmile:

Rita: I love your photo. You have a great smile. :flowerforyou:

Flea: You are lucky to have the ability to visit your mom. :heart: I hope her health troubles ease away soon. Regarding Meals on Wheels: My friend delivered meals on wheels from the senior center here for many years and I went with her a few times. The food is/was prepared in their kitchen and delivered to those who are homebound. They paid a moderate fee for the meal they received. Many went to the senior center and enjoyed a meal together—until Covid came along. I don’t know anything about meals at the Senior Center or home deliveries now. In your situation, I would contact the senior center nearest to your mom and find out what is available. :heart:

Katla in cloudy NW Oregon

Great idea, Katla. She did have a relationship with her local senior center before Covid.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Load of laundry very small. Believe me,I snoozed a couple of hours and woke up just a bit ago..
    So I will hopefully be able to sleep tonight..
    Ive basically done nothing all day...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Workoutaholic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

New year’s walk w/family- 2hrs 55min 58sec, 3.39ap, 198elev, 97ahr, 122mhr, 10.10mi= 904c
    Strava app = 1224c

Total cal 904

Put away tree, decorations, laundry, vacuum a bit, didn’t put hrm on so est. additional 200c
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Debby!

Happy New Year Ladies!

Thanks Barbie for keeping us moving with another clean slate.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Debby!!!!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Debby :flowerforyou: