WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have one more Audible book credit to use before tonight. Any recommendations?

Tina
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Teresa - My Duolingo streak is now 426 days! :o I do find it a bit if a chore though. I much prefer all the language videos on YouTube. You can listen while on the treadmill.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Getting to know you ...

Something I would like to GAIN in 2021 is a closer relationship with my children and grandchildren. I told all the kids and grands after Christmas (just past) that I would no longer be buying (or giving money) to everyone at christmas time - there are just too many of them now.... the older ones all have significant others (which I haven't bought for in the past, but this year there are two new babies, so I felt bad buying for my grands and for the babies and NOT buying for the sig other). I have 2 sons, 2 DIL's, 5 grands (3 with significant others and 2 with new babies!), and my DH has a daughter in NC (no children) and a son in AR with 3 children ages 6-14).

I'm blessed that all of MY family is local.... so my solution is to take each of the older ones out for dinner for their birthday in 2021 instead of doing a big Christmas in 2021. As the birthday person, they get to choose which restaurant and I will pay for their dinner. This way I get to spend some one on one time with them on their birthday (and of course their sig other can come along as well). For the younger ones (I have 2 grandsons that are 10 and 7), I will still buy them a gift for their birthday instead of dinner out with grandma. This will be the first year that I've done this, so I'm sure there will be a "learning curve" ! :smiley:

Plus, we'll still have our big Christmas dinner get-together with all of them next year (providing the COVID situation is worked out by then), and I will buy one Christmas present for our large family gift exchange instead of buying something FOR ALL OF THEM!

Why not take the younger ones out to dinner too? That's the best time to spend with them. Although, you end up going to dinner at places like Chuck E Cheese. I used to take my nephews and nieces out to dinner when I was visiting them and had far too much gross pizza. I still do, but they are all growing up so fast. Now, they all want sushi.

Tina
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Herd Immunity
    As many people as possible should get the vaccination. Since children cannot be vaccinated (yet), and there are additional adults who either cannot or will not get the vaccine, we need every willing adult to go ahead and get the vaccine, or we will not achieve herd immunity. There simply won’t be enough vaccinated people if well-meaning healthy adults don’t get the vaccine. This is one of those counter-intuitive things…but getting the vaccine is a civic responsibility and everyone that can get it should do so. The goal is to contribute to, not rely on, herd immunity.

Karen in Virginia

Karen - along that line....
    When I checked a few days ago, the WA State DOH Vaccine guidelines said even if a person already had C-19, they still should get the vaccine.

Do you have any idea why this would be? Are antibodies produced as a response to having the virus no longer enough?

WA State has lowered the age from 70 to 65 as of yesterday, but in our area, there's still a real short supply so we may be months off, especially with more eligible folks in line.

So it's a great time to be anti-social and stay home and avoid crowds like we've been doing for the past few years anyhow. ;)

Thanks, always appreciate your input.

Lanette
    SW WA State

Lanette
    There is data to suggest that the immunity people get from having the disease COVID-19 may not last as long as immunity achieved as a result of receiving the vaccination. Only time will tell, but there is also educated speculation that vaccination may be more likely to result in immunity to most of the variants vs a single variant. Finally, the “strength" of the immune response is more predictable with vaccine. Having said that, in about a year, scientists will have much more reliable information than is available now.

<<<

Kelly I learned about this book today and thought of you:
    Karen in Virginia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Braless and commando—Every day when I wake up, shower or take a bath. Then I put on my panties, bra, & clothes. A zillion years ago we were acquainted with a woman who breast fed her baby, as did I. Helen went braless and nursed her boy well into his fourth year or longer. Her boobs drooped beyond the bottom of her T-shirt. Not attractive. :noway:

I wore a nursing bra. When my son could hold his own cup, I stopped nursing him. Same routine when our daughter came along. My “girls” are not those of a teenager, but they don’t droop or peek below my t-shirt. :noway:

Time to watch TV—I don’t want to miss out on the Inauguration.

Katla

Live now in sunny California, (middle part). At the time of that pic, was living in WA state
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Mrs Hoffer - My grandmother on my Dad's side had 33 Grandchildren, I am the youngest Granddaughter there are 3 Grandsons younger than me. By the time us 4 came along some of the older ones were married and had children old enough to be getting married. Of course, no one can be expected to buy for all of that so she broke it up in chunks too.
    Each of her Children received a Reader's Digest Subscription or Sheet Set each year
    Grandsons that weren't married - Homemade Gloves, mittens or socks
    Granddaughters that weren't married - Homemade Slippers, mittens or gloves
    Grandchildren that were married received a set of pillowcases each year. As a wedding gift they received a quilt. (I was the last one to get one and my other Grandmother had to finish it)
    New Great Grandchildren received a homemade sweater, bonnet and bootie set.
    She knit, quilted and crocheted all year to have her gifts made for Christmas and whatever baby or wedding was coming up.
    She did not do birthday's for anyone unless she was living with that family at the time.

I think you have a brilliant plan in place!
    I do not have an update on Dillon. His Mom hasn't posted anything.

Tracey
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Herd Immunity
    As many people as possible should get the vaccination. Since children cannot be vaccinated (yet), and there are additional adults who either cannot or will not get the vaccine, we need every willing adult to go ahead and get the vaccine, or we will not achieve herd immunity. There simply won’t be enough vaccinated people if well-meaning healthy adults don’t get the vaccine. This is one of those counter-intuitive things…but getting the vaccine is a civic responsibility and everyone that can get it should do so. The goal is to contribute to, not rely on, herd immunity.

Karen in Virginia

Karen - along that line....
    When I checked a few days ago, the WA State DOH Vaccine guidelines said even if a person already had C-19, they still should get the vaccine.

Do you have any idea why this would be? Are antibodies produced as a response to having the virus no longer enough?

WA State has lowered the age from 70 to 65 as of yesterday, but in our area, there's still a real short supply so we may be months off, especially with more eligible folks in line.

So it's a great time to be anti-social and stay home and avoid crowds like we've been doing for the past few years anyhow. ;)

Thanks, always appreciate your input.

Lanette
    SW WA State

The antibodies don't last long. If someone had COVID last July or earlier they could get it again.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    This year we cancelled Christmas and only gave to my 3 grandchildren. :D Nobody seemed to mind!

Just watched a programme on mental health. Apparently, if you exercise physically and stimulate your brain mentally at the same time you get a big increase in blood flow to the brain, especially to the back of the brain. This helps hugely with mental health, they say. So watching my language videos while I'm on my machines was the perfect thing to do! I must say I haven't had much low mood at all during lockdown. You can get the same effect from listening to an interesting podcast while exercising, or learning new dance steps. :D
    They also talked about being aware of your heartbeat for calming anxiety. You can train yourself to be aware and lower your heart rate. It's a kind of mindfulness.
    Plus there was the usual thing about how having a healthy gut biome is very important for mental health. We all know that, don't we. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    I find this fascinating and I've been saying since the beginning of COVID that there would need to be design changes.

Mine would include putting washrooms near the front doors of houses to encourage hand washing upon entry, offices consisting of temporary work areas with a focus on working from home and just occasional in-person meetings, consistently automatic doors etc., much better ventilation in buildings and public transportation, and homes with offices - not just the spare room, but a room designed to fit desks, shelves, and office equipment with more than the usual number of power points, etc.

COVID is changing everyday design as outdoor dining, hygiene and work-from-home dominates
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-21/covid-design-architects-planners-changes/13066380

So my next question is this ...

What rooms or areas would your dream house include?

I have been thinking about this question recently because we had dinner at with friends at their new house a couple weeks ago. They had their house built the way they wanted it, with retirement and aging in mind. There were a number of features I really liked, such as wider hallways and a bathroom designed with space and safety fittings in case someone needs to use a wheelchair or walker. It is also built all on one level which is a really good feature.

But there were some changes I would make.

My dream house would include:
    - open plan living, dining, kitchen area. These do not have to be big, but I would like enough counter space to be able to bake and I would like more cupboard/pantry space than we currently have.

- instead of a large master bedroom, I'd like a slight variation on what we currently do: a small sleeping room with an attached but separate dressing room. These rooms would have high small windows for a little bit of light and ventilation. In our current house, we sleep in the "second bedroom" and the "master bedroom" is our dressing room ... not that there is much difference in size between the two, they are both small.

- two offices - one for me, one for my husband. Both would have good windows for gazing outside and ventilation. Mine would have bookshelves and a desk full of office equipment ... his might be more of a workshop.

- fitness room to contain our bicycles on trainers, treadmill, rowing machine, and weights. There would also be an area for stretching and core work and maybe a pilates machine or two. I would like this room to open onto the attached outdoor area so that we could have heaps of ventilation and almost feel like we're outside.

- attached outdoor area. I like our patio but it isn't attached to the house so if we want to eat out there, there's a lot of carrying back and forth.

- good storage area!

- and of course, a nice bathroom plus a 2-piece washroom, and a nice laundry area with room to hang dry clothing.

Dreaming! :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) While I am a fan of the idea of doing the 30 second task, my favorite is the plan of "suffering for 15 minutes a day". I have some projects that are difficult for me (income tax prep, for example) but I can do them if I plan to work for 15 minutes a day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

One of my problems with the things I would like to tackle in the house is that I can't seem to break them down into 15 minute steps.

For example, if I were going to do what I want to do in the dressing room, I would have to block out an entire evening to get going with it because before order would come complete and utter chaos. At points in the process, I would have clothes all over the dressing room and probably in the sleeping room too. So it's not something I can work at for 15 minutes and then just leave.

M in Oz

• TiredMom2021
    TiredMom2021 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »

I'm blessed that all of MY family is local.... so my solution is to take each of the older ones out for dinner for their birthday in 2021 instead of doing a big Christmas in 2021. As the birthday person, they get to choose which restaurant and I will pay for their dinner. This way I get to spend some one on one time with them on their birthday (and of course their sig other can come along as well). For the younger ones (I have 2 grandsons that are 10 and 7), I will still buy them a gift for their birthday instead of dinner out with grandma. This will be the first year that I've done this, so I'm sure there will be a "learning curve" ! :smiley:

I think your idea is LOVELY! (We have 6 kids (4 of them still at home) and 4 grandchildren. We also buy Christmas gifts for my parents and in-laws 4 siblings, 10 nieces and nephews, and a few business clients - and I am always looking for ways to make Christmas giving more meaningful and less expensive!)

As for the younger grandkids, my best friend used to take each of my kids out on their birthdays starting when they turned 5 (and the outings ended when they turned 18...except for 1 son...after that he started taking her out on her birthday!). She would let them pick the restaurant of their choice (usually Dairy Queen) and then took them shopping where they had $20 from her to spend on a gift. This was the highlight of their birthdays until my friend passed away unexpectedly 2 years ago. Since then, their grandma has taken over the outing!

Anyway, I LOVE your idea and wish my adult kids and grandkids lived closer so I could do that with them!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Tracey: Your wind storm reminded me of one where I lived long ago. It taught me to respect the power of wind. In 1962 there was an October 12th wind storm that impacted Salem OR, where I lived with my family. I was in Junior High back then. The school sent all the kids home early. In my case it was about a mile walk. My dad was working on the other side of the bridge over the Willamette River and wasn’t able to get home right away. We had no serious damage to our house, but mom and I saw a neighbor’s roof blow off. It is a sight I will never forget. :flowerforyou:

Beth near Buffalo: I hope you enjoy your Lab! We have always had a dog and our adult children have followed that path, too. Our current old boy is a Keeshond and as sweet as can be. In past years we had a yellow lab. I found him as a pup while I was on a walk with two friends. He was a sweet guy who had a long life. We’ve had other dogs during the course of our marriage. I don’t want to imagine living life without a dog. :heart:

Mrs_Hoffer: Taking your adult children for a birthday dinner is a wonderful way to celebrate. :star:

Margaret: We had a rope with knots in both ends for our dogs while they were teething pups. Tug of war was a fun game for them, and they chewed the rope rather than the furniture. I’ve seen the ropes in various pet stores in several different sizes. :smiley:

Teresa in OH: Thanks for your kind words. I’m getting better after the fall, but my glasses are still not fixed. We’ll be calling the eye shop in the next day or two to see whether they’ve replaced the scratched lens. :star:

RE: vaccinations for Covid 19: We were told that we’d be eligible on the 23rd of January. The Governor changed the schedule since then, more than once. There have been vaccine shortages. DH has subscribed to the Oregon Health Department for notification but we don’t have any date yet.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🧡💜❤️💙🖤🤎💚💛
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Today we are making gingerbread men! I know it sounds like a very Christmassy activity, BUT...I got an idea a few weeks ago, while wandering through facebook posts. Our Cheri posted a memory of a gingerbread activity (like a Flat Stanley activity) where you send your gingerbread man out on an adventure (through the mail). *lightbulb* I had already made up my mind to have the focus of 2021 be on geography and regions and I think having a gingerbread man run, run, run as fast as he can to all kinds of places would be a great way to introduce the kids to different places, cultures, and lifestyles!

I better fly! Kiddos at the door! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

What fun this will be for the kiddos! A big map with the places visited marked!!

Cheri

• dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Dear son-in-law got his covid test back and it was negative, shewwww. I was incredibly relieved to hear this. Poor daughter is not doing as well. She is having a reaction to her second vaccine. I think we are both pretty surprised by this because she did swimmingly on the first one. This time she has a high fever, body aches, head aches and diarrhea and does not even want to see food. We are happy though that she has not actually contracted the virus from husband, she did get tested today just in case so we will see.

Had a second interview today for a new position. Waiting to hear if I made it to the next level. Always a nerve wracking experience.

Will admit I spent a lot of time today watching the inauguration and I quite enjoyed the young poet who spoke, her quote "there is always light if we are brave enough to see it, if we are brave enough to be it"
    made my heart so happy.

Felt like it was too cold to walk today, poor bumble, but it is supposed to be much warmer tomorrow.

My dream house: open floor plan living space, a Buckeye themed rec room, an office with space for scrapbooking and my photography, a kitchen with tons of storage, a bath with a soaker tub, a swimming pool, and a huge fenced back yard for the dog.
    dee
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) While I am a fan of the idea of doing the 30 second task, my favorite is the plan of "suffering for 15 minutes a day". I have some projects that are difficult for me (income tax prep, for example) but I can do them if I plan to work for 15 minutes a day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

One of my problems with the things I would like to tackle in the house is that I can't seem to break them down into 15 minute steps.

For example, if I were going to do what I want to do in the dressing room, I would have to block out an entire evening to get going with it because before order would come complete and utter chaos. At points in the process, I would have clothes all over the dressing room and probably in the sleeping room too. So it's not something I can work at for 15 minutes and then just leave.

M in Oz

:) I've used this for doing the income tax, sorting photos on the computer, clearing files of paper or on the computer---the kinds of projects that require brain rather than brawn.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Katla – how very frustrating. How long do they think it’ll be before you get your glasses?

Worked today so no formal exercise. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise

Barbara – Vince’s warfarin is a pill

Bra-less, panty-less: almost never. If I’m exercising at home I wear underwear, an old sports bra (that is gray already) and socks. That is, unless we have company. Then I try to go to the gym

Tina – one year when the kids were little Vince asked them where they should take me to eat for Mother’s Day. They were so very proud when they said “Chuck E. Cheese” Vince asked them if they thought I’d like it and they unamously said “oh yes”

Dee – what good news about your SIL. Good luck on getting the job

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Machka - I think I’ve shared the story about our friends that built their dream home in their 40’s with the thought of being wheelchair accessible for the future. They ended up being in an accident about 7 years later and she was in a wheelchair for 2 years.

I haven’t thought a lot about a dream house except I know it needs to be 3 bedroom, a huge garage for a workshop for Rodger and 2 bathrooms one with a soaker tub that all of me fits in at once.

I’m not a 15 minute task person, I’m a go all in and get it done type. Machka if I were to tackle your dressing room I would make that a “weekend” project and plan to have nothing else going on that weekend. I think my “get it done” attitude is why I’m not a big fan of knitting, cross stitch and crochet. I like to see progress fast. My daughter told me tonight I’m probably not going to enjoy diamond dots because it’s tedious.

Katla - that would be scary to witness.
    Our winds were reaching 90km/h last night.

I feel guilty saying this when so many need it, but I had my second dose of vaccine today. The injection site is more painful this time than the first one but still manageable.

Dee - some of our staff had more of a reaction with second dose too, but only lasted a day. Headaches, chills and fever. Happy your SIL is negative.

Tracey in Edmonton

• dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement, Tracey. I am hoping that is exactly what is happening
  • Machka9
    Options
    I’m not a 15 minute task person, I’m a go all in and get it done type. Machka if I were to tackle your dressing room I would make that a “weekend” project and plan to have nothing else going on that weekend. I think my “get it done” attitude is why I’m not a big fan of knitting, cross stitch and crochet. I like to see progress fast. My daughter told me tonight I’m probably not going to enjoy diamond dots because it’s tedious.

Tracey in Edmonton

I can do the 15 minute thing if it is a matter of clearing the stuff off the kitchen counter or paying a bill.

But yes, for the projects I've got ahead of me, I'll need that whole weekend ... start Friday night and keep going. So I might not get to the dressing room until winter. Or a really rainy windy autumn weekend.

I am trying to go through my list to determine what I can deal with quickly and what will need those weekends.

M in Oz