WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    COVID-19 immunity: how long does it last?
    https://theconversation.com/covid-19-immunity-how-long-does-it-last-152849

"even patients who have had mild COVID-19 have detectable antibodies six to nine months after infection. However, antibodies do wane over time, so these antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 could eventually disappear."

How Long Does Immunity Last After COVID-19? What We Know
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-long-does-immunity-last-after-covid-19-what-we-know#What-we-currently-know-about-COVID-19-immunity

"a study published in the journal Immunity found that people who recover from even mild cases of COVID-19 produce antibodies that are believed to protect against infection for at least 5 to 7 months, and could last much longer."

Incidentally, there are at least 2 different vaccines. From what I understand, Australia has about 5 million of the one that is supposed to be 95% effective and then enough to cover the rest of the population of the one that is supposed to be about 60% effective. I have heard ... although I'd have to look it up ... that the people at most risk will get the 95% one and the rest of us will get the 60% one. And then later, perhaps, the rest of us might get the other one.

Nevertheless vaccines are not supposed to start for a while yet so one reason I'm not looking it up is that the news will likely change over the next couple months.

M in Oz
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Wow it's hard to keep up around here! I spent the day grading assignments in 4 different classes. But at least that's the bulk of it for the week. It was very pretty and sunny here today so that was cheerful at least!

We are doing some deep cleaning which includes scrubbing grout. Boy does that make a difference! And boy does that make me sound boring!

I think I told you both DH and I have had our first vaccine. He goes back next Tuesday for his 2nd and I'm not too far behind him. I will be so glad when we can get out and about. He got the Pfeizer one; I got Moderna. Neither one of us had any issues, not even a sore arm!

Allie: I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems! You have really been through it the last few years. I'll be praying for recovery and strength for you.

Things are going well with Noom. I like their articles. They want you to weigh every day, which I hate, but I actually do it and finally the scales are starting to move. I was always taught to only weigh once a week.

We had a blizzard last week and in our back yard, we have a spruce-tree shaped snow area. It's so funny. The tree blocked the wind, so the snow just fell down in that little area and it looks like someone painted it on, it's so perfect!

Machka: your reindeer experience was so beautiful. I love that first light picture, too.

Can't remember who wrote about it, but my little toe nails fall off occasionally for no apparent reason.

Keep well everyone and take care. Meg from Omaha
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Penny, I meant Penny at the north pole! Sorry!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Carol - I agree about the Amazon pricing. It sure is convenient though.

Karen -
    I was surprised to learn that even if you had Covid you should get vaccinated. I was under the impression that if you had it you couldn't get it again. I guess I was wrong.

Tracey

My understanding is that they have not found anyone with immunity for longer than a couple of months.

Tina

That makes sense. We aren't allowed to test residents or staff that have tested positive again for 60 days. After the 60 days they are tested again. One of our staff that had Covid in the summer still tests negative now.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    So we brought this guy home today ...
    m756w43lk8tm.jpeg

So why they're not all going in the spoiler is beyond me. His name is Cecil and he's 8 weeks old. He will be my younger son's dog ... hahaha. And he's a Chocolate English Labrador Retriever. Those paws have me a little worried!

I’m in love!!! Cecil is adorable. Our neighbor has a female chocolate lab. She is the sweetest girl. She’ll come bark on the porch to let me know she needs dog biscuits (which I keep on hand for her).

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,119 Member
    Options
    ☘️
    Page 52
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    US Gals – Reality check. Do not read if you are depressed, frustrated, etc. over the lack of coordination of receiving a shot.
    We absolutely must be patient. In 2019 there were 328.4m in the US. And we must receive 2 doses…..656.8m. We ordered 400m…..

60ri5dn5qlhq.png

Right now there are projections there will be enough to vaccinate the world by the end of 2021. There will be great challenges getting to the remote and underdeveloped places in the world.

If we go one step further the vaccine has an approximate effective period of one year (latest article I read). Within a year this cycle will start again. It will probably be incorporated in to or part of the annual flu shot.

Since I am not in any age group, am healthy, am able to work remotely, etc. I will probably not get the shot and depend upon herd immunity. Honestly, I wish serum testing was more readily available. Living in a hot spot I am sure my body, regardless of the precautions I have taken, has received its fair share of this pesky little virus. Even if I decide to get it I will not be able to do so until the end of next summer given my personal statistics. By then…….

Karen – I am sure you have much more to add here. I always value your feedback and knowledge in all medical areas.

This is just my opinion. I am a numbers person and am quite aware of logistics, numbers, human nature, trends, etc. I have had lengthy discussions with my medical care providers, read as much as I can stand, continue to keep up-to-date, and pray the current thoughts on taming this virus work.

I pray, pray, pray for all that who really should/need to get the vaccine in a timely fashion. It breaks my heart the states have had almost 6-9 months to plan distribution yet very few seem to be highly organized.

SuziQ – SFL

No one knew what they might distribute that far back, if they were going to be able to distribute anything. 9 months ago, there wasn't even an inkling of a viable vaccine. Even now, there are at least 2 different kinds out there with different percentages of protection. It is hard to plan for the unknown.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Lll
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    m756w43lk8tm.jpeg

So why they're not all going in the spoiler is beyond me. His name is Cecil and he's 8 weeks old. He will be my younger son's dog ... hahaha. And he's a Chocolate English Labrador Retriever. Those paws have me a little worried!

He is gorgeous!!! I can almost smell that sweet puppy scent from here! Congratulations.

I haven't been to my office in nearly month, what with Christmas break and then being up at my mother's. I am pleasantly surprised to find that I will not be driving home in the dark! Hooray.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    m756w43lk8tm.jpeg

I’m in love!!! Cecil is adorable. Our neighbor has a female chocolate lab. She is the sweetest girl. She’ll come bark on the porch to let me know she needs dog biscuits (which I keep on hand for her).

Okie in the TX Hill Country

That's so funny, Okie. My mother kept dog treats for her neighbor's black lab. When they walked by, he pulled up to her door, whether they wanted to go or not. He wanted his treat! (Sadly, he fell ill about a year ago and passed. He was an old dog, though, and super sweet.)

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

• Machka9
    Options
    d4ip8ebapoyc.png

My head has still not entirely grasped this yet. I still feel like I need to get a bunch of stuff done quickly so it's out of the way for the new year of uni. But then I remember ... and I chortle to myself! I don't have classes coming up! I can keep working on other stuff for the entire year! I don't have to feel rushed and pressured. :)

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Julie-sibling trades! That gave me a laugh! I won’t say mine are always great-but at least I know their habits-don’t care to learn new ones! Glad you got the test-and hope they don’t lose the results

Flea-glad your mom is doing so well. Schwanns was a good idea.

Allie-your hospital stay certainly seems to be interesting.

Enjoyed long weekend. Didn’t do anything for work. Worked on painting closet doors. Will be a bit time consuming. Set up saw horses in back bedroom (so I can shut door and keep cats away from wet paint). Means I paint one side, let it dry a few hours, come back). However, there is no race for it and it is started. If it takes me a couple of weeks to get all new doors painted, it is ok.

Got blood work this morning. Started a couple of new exercises with trainer. Was happy to discover I can use 20 lb weight for goblets. We are really working on core and arm strength. I have set a goal for myself that hopefully by the end of year I can do chin up (pull ups would be better but I don’t know). And why, you may wonder, would I have such a goal? Because I have NEVER been able to do them. If I don’t make it, I will still improve strength.

Had trainer measure me with calipers for body fat. I wanted to see what that method said compared to my scales (which I figure are necessarily accurate on that). Scales have me a 27.5. Calipers say 24.1. So, good numbers for my age. Gives me frame of reference for my scales.

Realized why I was so tired last week is I have a UTI. Started medicine today so hopefully kicks it back. Made it 2 1/12 months since last one. Maybe they will space out better.

Off to bed-back to work tomorrow. Will have to put in extra effort since I didn’t do anything this weekend and have a couple of deadlines.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Worked so no formal exercise today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump video. Then dentist appt

Tracey - yes, they are going to run the 500, at 25% capacity. Which will make getting food, parking, going to the bathroom, etc. nice since there’ll be less people. I firmly believe Denise is the type of person who doesn’t like having to do things, she likes when things are easy. Like she has no problem going to NJ to go to the shore. It’s just more work to come see us, you have to plan much more. You really can travel from state to state. We went to Iowa for Thanksgiving. Some states do have some restrictions, but not many. The restrictions are things like quarantining for some days, those sorts of things

My sinuses are acting up since there’s a change in the temperature. I took a decongestant last night and I was up at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:30. Well, it’s really not that bad.

Bananas – “machines take up so much space” that’s the main reason I don’t have machines but go to the gym to use theirs. Now Vince wanted a recumbent bike so we have that. Otherwise, no machines.
    So glad your bone marrow aspiration went well.

Carol – The price of the low fat brownie mix is almost 3 times what I pay at WalMart. However, I do like that I can buy multiple sizes of pants, try them on, and then return the one(s) I don’t want and I’m not billed for that

Beth…awwwww. Cecil is so very cute

Played mahjongg tonight. Going to go to bed for the big day tomorrow.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🧡😁🌞
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    😴
  • Machka9
    Options
    Chin ups/pull ups - never been able to do them and won't be able to do them now! I have almost always had questionable upper body strength ... didn't need much of it for cycling! But in 2007 I crashed my bicycle and separated my left shoulder (Grade 2 Separation) and I've been left with shoulder subluxation - a shoulder that partially dislocates from time to time.

While I can do things like bicep curls and some other weight lifting, trying to hoist myself up with my arms isn't particularly good.

And I really need to get back into weight lifting!

M in Oz