Anybody else deal with food dilemmas?

Options

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Pretty much an all or nothing kind of guy here. Threw out so many chocolates/cookies and sweets. I have never been good at avoiding temptation, especially when it is right under foot.
  • kittycatsinunderpants
    Options
    Sorry for the tummy ache. Tbh, I probably would have eaten the pie too. It drives me nuts for anything to be sitting half-done, whether it’s a pie, or a puzzle. Pre-COVID, I would have suggested you share!
  • 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the tummy ache. Tbh, I probably would have eaten the pie too. It drives me nuts for anything to be sitting half-done, whether it’s a pie, or a puzzle. Pre-COVID, I would have suggested you share!

Nobody else wanted it, it was me or the trash lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

When I bake, I still share with my neighbors, only now I leave it on their porch and we talk through the door or via messenger, lol

Sharing is a big part of my moderation strategy. I love to bake, and plan to do it the day before I visit my mother and brother.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You could cut it in pieces and freeze them individually.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The freezer is my friend . . . Also, friends are my friend:-) I regifted away a LOT of gifted sweets this holiday season.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Step 1 I would put it in the bottom of our chest freezer so I would have to dig for it which I loath digging in the freezer so I I would really have to want it 😄

Step 2 I have 5 kiddos so food spreads better then just me an a pie 😮

Step 3 A friendly neighbor who loves goodies

Step 4 trash
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    I’m happy to see some say they would portion it out and freeze it. I completely agree! I used to throw things out but it never taught me to have a better relationship with food. I’m not only here to lose weight, but also create a better lifestyle and attitude when it comes to eating.

I think giving yourself the tools to succeed is better than complete avoidance, and this is coming from someone who never thought I would be able to be in a room with ice cream, cookies, brownies, etc for the rest of my life.

Totally agree with you here! I know an often-said piece of advice is to get rid of all tempting foods if you're trying to lose weight. I think that's a good solution in the short-term, but it's also kind of saying that foods have power of you and not the other way around. I do understand that for people with food addiction and eating disorders they may never be able to have certain foods around. There was a time in my life where I couldn't have certain kinds of food in my house, and even now I may start to lose control with some of my "trigger foods ."

I have worked hard over the years on my relationship with food and know for me nothing is off limits and I do have the power to control myself with food. I have all kinds of treats in my house right now, including a whole cabinet of candy (told my secret Santa one of my likes was dark chocolate, so she decided to give me a LOT of it, plus all the other Christmas gifts). I just build those treats into my day and don't overdo it, and have actually learned (over SEVERAL years) to be satisfied with just one.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a house where you didn't "waste" food or throw it out. Even the scraps went to the chickens or other animals. You cleaned your plate. As a farm kid, it was never an issue for me - I was burning up all the food running around doing chores, riding my horses, fixing fences, riding my bicycle to my friend's house - you know, just being active.

It's been a struggle for me to get used to throwing food out (no chickens or ducks at this point to give it to either lol), but I've gotten better about it (still not great though). Tracking every bite, lick, nibble, BEFORE it goes in my mouth is the biggest help for me though - if I see what that (enter food item here) ends up looking like in my daily intake, I find it a lot easier to say "no" or "just a small piece that still fits in my calories" - even when I'm around other people who are pushing food on me, that "no" gets a lot easier when I'm entering it in my app BEFORE I eat it!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Wow! Kudos to all y'all 'freeze-for-later' people. I have found out the hard way that I am absolute rot at that. If I know there are goodies in the freezer, I will obsess - as in TOTALLY OBSESS about them 24/7. I can't keep much of anything too tempting in the house - no baked goods or ice cream. But after a few days of too much, I don't like the way my body feels and I am over it. I get to the point where I ask myself, is this REALLY how I want to be? Then I can't wait to embrace clean eating and return to calorie deficit again.

Moving on! --->

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your relationship with food. I throw away anything I know I'll be tempted to eat late at night when I'm hungry or when my will power is weak.

However, just the past few months . .I've found the freezer to be my friend... I have developed the strength to freeze left over food from my eating off days or holidays for later. What I do is freeze pizza slices.. or in your case.. slices of apple pie in individual freezer bags. On a day when I take a diet break..which for me is once a week.. if I feel good about my progress for the week.. I'd eat one piece. In my mind. I'll tell myself now; "You don' have to eat the "bad" food all at once. .then go back to eating all the "good" food again. I'm learning to balance these foods I love in a way where I have the health and looks I want. It works.

but ..again.. you have to know yourself..and if you start just eating it all the time. to the trash.. or bin it goes!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    millerjr5 wrote: »

Nobody else wanted it, it was me or the trash lol.

get chickens.

They will eat anything you don't want and very few items they can't have LOL

I love my little garbage disposals LMAO
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My guiding question would be, "How good is this pie?" because an amazing piece of apple pie is maybe worth having to reshuffle my calories or go for that extra workout. But if it's "meh", well, that's might be toss it or whatever.

Also, there's the option of "just a little bit, no really".
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Covid-related problem....I can't bring extra food in to work to share with my coworkers anymore.
  • 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    My guiding question would be, "How good is this pie?" because an amazing piece of apple pie is maybe worth having to reshuffle my calories or go for that extra workout. But if it's "meh", well, that's might be toss it or whatever.

Also, there's the option of "just a little bit, no really".

I need to work on the little bit part. It's hard because once I have some, I will just have a little more and before I know it, I ate it all lol.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    sulwen314 wrote: »
    I would eat it in small pieces, making sure to fit it into my daily calorie plan.

Yep.

Or, honestly, log the thing in small pieces and eat it as i damn well want. I am to balance about a week at a time rather than every single day.

IF i really wanted the pie. If I didn't, I'd just toss it.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wish I could live like the people saying you should be able to keep snacks in your house and develop a healthy relationship with it. But as my husband says, “ if it’s in the house I might get some in my mouth.” I use my discipline for other situations but in my own house I prefer to avoid the situation of snacks whispering my name continuously 🤷‍♀️