Hilarious Gym Jerk

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    socajam wrote: »
    I am sick to death of people claiming everything is related to mental health these days
    Could it be that he was seeking attention and the laughing taught him a lesson - to be quieter in future

Hard to say when you only hear one side of a story from one person.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2021
    socajam wrote: »
    I am sick to death of people claiming everything is related to mental health these days
    Could it be that he was seeking attention and the laughing taught him a lesson - to be quieter in future

He wasn't there for that reaction. Except for the likely raised eyebrows and stares as he yelled at each person.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Had I been there, and had he yelled that at me, I would have felt very uncomfortable and ill at ease. So when he left, I would have laughed because that's how I cope with stress or awkward behaviour. If others also laughed, I would have probably laughed harder. None of that laughing would have been at him.

I'd likely be exactly the same!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have all sorts of stories, from crazy exercisers doing the weirdest things, to people singing and dancing in the weight room and my favorite, catching a guy drinking liquor while doing bench press.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh dear the thought of the reflux alone, is making me feel a little queasy.
  • jessienani
    jessienani Posts: 60 Member
    edited January 2021
    Same here! I have a weak gut for that!
  • jessienani
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have all sorts of stories, from crazy exercisers doing the weirdest things, to people singing and dancing in the weight room and my favorite, catching a guy drinking liquor while doing bench press.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Hahaha First of all, you need to stop watching me bench press! Lol jk!
  • jessienani
    Had I been there, and had he yelled that at me, I would have felt very uncomfortable and ill at ease. So when he left, I would have laughed because that's how I cope with stress or awkward behaviour. If others also laughed, I would have probably laughed harder. None of that laughing would have been at him.

I think the risk in the sharing of this anecdote is that many people are scared of going to a gym because they're afraid they will be made fun of, that people are secretly judging them... And this provides proof to that feeling. The fact that people noticed his workout and the sounds he was making and that they laughed about him in person and made fun of him online later.

It adds to the "we see you, we think you're odd, and we're laughing at you" mentality.

Now, before people get all disagree with me... I'm not judging the op or the gym goer. My own issues at the gym would have predisposed me to laugh, and to notice.

The long and the short of it is... At some point, when we take responsibility for our own life, we have to recognize that others may laugh at, mock, or disagree with what or how we're doing. And that is ok. It's our body, not theirs. Our goals, not theirs. Look inwards and focus on self, and it matters less who laughs.

If you want to crunch til you puke... Have at er. Why? Cuz we are not all the same!

Hahahaha YES. Well said and a great thought on the matter. This one really cracked me up! But yeah, I deal with awkwardly intense moments with laughter. It's my cope!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited January 2021
    :D I would have died trying NOT to laugh the whole time! There was one lady in my yoga class who would groan " Ohhh yeaahhh" everytime the position changed. And it was totally quiet during class so everyone heard it repeated for a whole hour! Next time I went to class, my friend and I found ourselves right behind her and it was even louder! OMG it was sooo embarrassing and hilarious at the same time!!

This would be me in any body stretching class. I'm also the "Exuberant One" in dance-based aerobics classes who shouts along with the instructor (but their mix tape has to be EPIC). Suffice it to say, I don't often participate in either 😭

And still...

I'll never understand exercising to the point of nausea (in the gym) or defecation (fellow runners, especially long distance, I'm looking at you).

In this situation, I would have gotten up to leave pronto because I would have been grossed out by the noises, tbh.

In this scenario (or any of the ones mentioned above), I'm not sure I'd call the person a jerk though 🤷🏿‍♀️
  • jessienani
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    :D I would have died trying NOT to laugh the whole time! There was one lady in my yoga class who would groan " Ohhh yeaahhh" everytime the position changed. And it was totally quiet during class so everyone heard it repeated for a whole hour! Next time I went to class, my friend and I found ourselves right behind her and it was even louder! OMG it was sooo embarrassing and hilarious at the same time!!

This would be me in any body stretching class. I'm also the "Exuberant One" in dance-based aerobics classes who shouts along with the instructor (but their mix tape has to be EPIC). Suffice it to say, I don't often participate in either 😭

And still...

I'll never understand exercising to the point of nausea (in the gym) or defecation (fellow runners, especially long distance, I'm looking at you).

In this situation, I would have gotten up to leave pronto because I would have been grossed out by the noises, tbh.

In this scenario (or any of the ones mentioned above), I'm not sure I'd call the person a jerk though 🤷🏿‍♀️

Yeah you're right! In full transparency the guy isn't so much a jerk, but he is very arrogant with most run ins I have with him. Also, your comment about runners I will never understand that either lol!
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »

And still...

Lordhammercy!!! the nausea in the gym is real! LOL This one dude worked himself so hard , the end result got the gym closed for the day!... but that yoga lady seemed to really enjoy the class, we found out which positions she preferred more than others :D But yeah she wasnt a jerk...just... very ...expressive of her pleasure :D

I think the OP called the guy a jerk because he obviously knows his mannerisms from being around him regularly. I dont think many people call someone a jerk for no reason at all.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2021
    She had no right to suggest that he take a break, none! He's an adult, knows his limitations and if she was perturbed by his grunting then she could have walked away. For you to laugh in the first place shows an idiot mentality so if the shoe appears to fit, wear it. If she had interrupted me, she'd been lucky if I would have just said "We are all different." She'd have gotten an earful and would have regretted even confronting me to begin with. If you want to publicly embarrass me, I promise you'd regret it and be more embarrassed by what I would say to you after you try. As far as I'm concerned, he was kind.