Do you need to do cardio to shred body fat?? Help!

Good morning,

Another post from me!

I am following a diet and I am in a deficit. I have lost inches every week. A total of 5 inches off my waist in three weeks, however the scales haven’t budged. My weight has stayed the same. With some excellent advice on another post of mine, I have been told this could be water retention which can happen when starting a new exercise regime in the first weeks.

However, this morning I have been told that I need to do a 45 minute cardio session each day to shred the fat. Is this correct? Will I not lose body fat if I don’t do cardio?

I currently cooperate a bit of cardio in my weight workout regime, jump squats, jumping jacks etc. But I don’t do a full on cardio sessions as such.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• leah9985
    leah9985 Posts: 66 Member
    I have no idea but 45 minutes sounds like ALOT!! I don’t think I would last that long. I’m not a natural running so I don’t particularly enjoy running and due to lock down I have no access to a gym as they are shut, so it’s not like I have any machines at home to use. So if I remain in a calorie deficit and carry on with my workout routine I should still lose body fat?
  • ac7ssm
    ac7ssm Posts: 14 Member
    If you are in deficit you can simply be losing fat and gaining muscle and water weight. This is the most likely case.
    Keeping track of inches is a great indicator of your progress. The real progress is in how you look/feel.
  • leah9985
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio burns CALORIES. You will always burn glycogen FIRST and FOREMOST with physical movement. What if I told you that you burn the most "stored bodyfat" if you're in a calorie deficit and get enough sleep? That's the truth. Cardio burns more calories than resistance training for the same amount of intensity and duration, but if you consume more than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) you'll gain weight regardless of how much cardio you do. And personally for myself, I walk briskly for the majority of my cardio. I do run intervals but only for a short time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is very helpful, thank you. I had no idea that you can actually burn more calories from being in a deficit and getting enough sleep! Wow!

So as long as I’m active, which I am. Doing my normal workouts which include a little bit of cardio and eating at a deficit then I should be fine 🤞🏼

The thought of having to do 45 mins cardio every day really wasn’t sitting well with me! I’m so glad I asked for advice!

Thank you everyone!
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    leah9985 wrote: »
    Cardio burns CALORIES. You will always burn glycogen FIRST and FOREMOST with physical movement. What if I told you that you burn the most "stored bodyfat" if you're in a calorie deficit and get enough sleep? That's the truth. Cardio burns more calories than resistance training for the same amount of intensity and duration, but if you consume more than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) you'll gain weight regardless of how much cardio you do. And personally for myself, I walk briskly for the majority of my cardio. I do run intervals but only for a short time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This is very helpful, thank you. I had no idea that you can actually burn more calories from being in a deficit and getting enough sleep! Wow!

So as long as I’m active, which I am. Doing my normal workouts which include a little bit of cardio and eating at a deficit then I should be fine 🤞🏼

The thought of having to do 45 mins cardio every day really wasn’t sitting well with me! I’m so glad I asked for advice!

Thank you everyone!

🤔 Not sure if you’re grasping the responses. You could literally do zero exercise and be fine, as in lose weight. Exercise is great for health not weight loss.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Good job you're coming here to check things out, because wherever else you have been getting information from seems highly suspect given what you've told us so far. I totally agree with @ninerbuff 's last post. You want to keep as much muscle as possible (or develop more) which is why exercise will help you "shred fat". If cardio suits you, fine, but it sounds like it's not your favourite thing. Another thing with a lot of cardio is that it ramps up the appetite for a lot of people and that makes it harder to keep to your calorie limits.
  • leah9985
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have no idea but 45 minutes sounds like ALOT!! I don’t think I would last that long. I’m not a natural running so I don’t particularly enjoy running and due to lock down I have no access to a gym as they are shut, so it’s not like I have any machines at home to use. So if I remain in a calorie deficit and carry on with my workout routine I should still lose body fat?

How are you defining "cardio"? It's not just running. Walking briskly benefits the cardiovascular system.

My 83 year old mother can spend 45 minutes walking at a brisk pace so I'm concerned that someone your age who only has 14 pounds to lose is disconcerted by 45 minutes of "cardio" and I'm hoping you mean activities like running as opposed to low impact forms of cardio.

Oh Christ! I could most certainly walk for 45 minutes a day with no problems whatsoever. I’m talking about running, spinning etc. I love walking!
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2021
    I've lost weight and have rarely do 45 minutes of cardio in one go, except for walking. I mostly do 20-30 minute workouts and although health benefits are good, the biggest reason for me is simply so I can eat more calories.

If you do want to start adding in cardio, I'd recommend starting off with maybe 20 minutes at a time, then build it up. Find something you enjoy - you can get all kinds online, my favourite is to dance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

How are you defining "cardio"? It's not just running. Walking briskly benefits the cardiovascular system.

My 83 year old mother can spend 45 minutes walking at a brisk pace so I'm concerned that someone your age who only has 14 pounds to lose is disconcerted by 45 minutes of "cardio" and I'm hoping you mean activities like running as opposed to low impact forms of cardio.

Oh Christ! I could most certainly walk for 45 minutes a day with no problems whatsoever. I’m talking about running, spinning etc. I love walking!

If you want to progress from walking to running, that's where the C25K (couch to 5k) programs can be useful. I'm not the best person to recommend a specific one (can't safely run due to some physical limitations/injuries), but in general a planned, professionally-developed program will give you better progress in *anything* than "just do it until you get better".
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    msalicia07 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you everyone!

🤔 Not sure if you’re grasping the responses. You could literally do zero exercise and be fine, as in lose weight. Exercise is great for health not weight loss.
    While true, the less you activate your muscles, the HIGHER CHANCE you have of losing lean muscle along with fat. And you DON'T want to lose muscle because it compounds the reduction in BMR. When you lose weight, the scale can't really determine if you're losing muscle or fat or water. So IT SHOULD be emphasized that one should have a form of regular exercise to help metabolic rate stay higher versus having it drop much lower.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We should be active, just elaborating it’s not necessary for weight loss because it isn’t. It’s certainly important for other reasons (health), and can aid weight loss which is a bonus, but it’s not needed for weight loss. Knowing the difference can empower someone not to feel defeated if they missed a workout then throw the whole day away or completely give up on their weight loss efforts. Like, you missed a workout, no big deal- you are still in a deficit, you still got this! This is achievable without killing your self at the gym. This seems like common knowledge but trust me, it isn’t.
    Whiles it's not, again it's not optimal. People that lose weight through diet only end up being really soft, saggy and flabby as well as the propensity to regain much easier. And to say that exercise is NOT great for weight loss is a biased opinion. Exercise keeps a better metabolic rate. Also helps with sleeping and if you didn't know it, you burn more stored body fat at rest than through movement. People that don't sleep well usually don't because of stress and anxiety, SOMETHING that exercise has been shown to reduce. So please don't say that exercise does nothing for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Wait, what? When did I say it does nothing for weight loss? Did you even read what I wrote? This is such a bazaar response I’m gonna be honest. Gaslighting won’t work with me, I know what I said. So, please stop attempting to misquote me to prove a completely different point.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Good morning,

Another post from me!

I am following a diet and I am in a deficit. I have lost inches every week. A total of 5 inches off my waist in three weeks, however the scales haven’t budged. My weight has stayed the same. With some excellent advice on another post of mine, I have been told this could be water retention which can happen when starting a new exercise regime in the first weeks.

However, this morning I have been told that I need to do a 45 minute cardio session each day to shred the fat. Is this correct? Will I not lose body fat if I don’t do cardio?

I currently cooperate a bit of cardio in my weight workout regime, jump squats, jumping jacks etc. But I don’t do a full on cardio sessions as such.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

My take away from this topic and the other - you need to stop talking to certain people about trying to lose weight - they are doing you no good with their misinfo.

And water weight gain for repair maxes out - you don't keep gaining it. Meaning it would not keep hiding fat loss on the scale.

You will gain water weight for other reasons of course, exercise has side effect of weight gain, not loss by itself.
    Blood volume usually increases.
    Stored glycogen in now used muscles increases, that stores with water.
    The more intense the workout the more you ask your body to store of that.

So those could be increasing even as water weight from inflammation stops.
    Which begs the question - you taking some rest days from intense workouts to recover, or are they short right now?
    Exercise done well tears the body down in some manner.
    Rest and recovery allows it to be built back up stronger if diet allows it.