Do you have to count fruit and veg in your calories

Options
xx1chloe5xx
xx1chloe5xx Posts: 44 Member
edited January 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
So I followed everyone’s advice and changed my goals to 0.5lbs loss a week and I’m allowed 1570 calories a day which is brill for me. However do I have to count fruit and veg as part of this? When I was on my 1200 calories a day I would eat 1200 food but fruit and veg on top of that but not class it as my calorie intake because it’s healthy and on slimming world it says you can eat as much fruit and veg as you want and it won’t affect weight loss?. Just wondering will not counting the cals in fruit and veg cause weight gain because if I added the calories then maybe today I’ve actaully eat like 1800 cals. I’m also drinking 4 litres of water a day is this good and could help promote weight loss?

Replies

• xx1chloe5xx
    xx1chloe5xx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    But coz there healthy do they matter @L1zardQueen
  • misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes I count fruit and vegetables. The only vegetable I don’t count is spinach because I don’t eat so much spinach that it would impact my calories drastically. (Personal preference) Although fruits and veggies are usually high-volume, low-calorie foods, they def contain calories that add up. I also count olive oil and estimate it the best I can. That sucker creeps up and carries high calories and sometimes I forget!
  • Cyberbartender
    Cyberbartender Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I dont count vegetables. They are free to me, and I get 2000 cal a day and still loose weight.
    But it works for me is not the same as it works for you :smile:
    So if you dont count them and dont loose anything, you get too much somewhere.

But several dieticians and trainers I have used are in favor of this. Vegetables you can eat anything you want, especially the watery ones.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I would definitely count fruits and higher starch/sugar veggies like carrots, but I vary on whether or not I include them in my calorie count. I mostly track them so I get "credit" for their nutritional value.

I believe the point in having some of those free foods is to encourage people to eat more of and fill up more on those kinds of foods. Obviously, a calorie from an apple or spinach is better for you than a protein bar, for example. Also, it's highly unlikely someone is going to gain weight or even not be able to lose weight from eating too much plain vegetables or fruit.