New to the community,

Options
Hi there, I’m totally new to this app. Like everyone else I’ve over indulged over Christmas and need some support to get that motivation back . Last year was tough on all of us. I’ve missed going to the gym and seeing other faces, now we’re back in lockdown here in the Uk it’s had to motivate yourself . I’m 43 and I have just over half a stone to shift! I know it’s not much but it’s an up hill battle at my age . Any support or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers😁

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I guess my only suggestion would be: Be patient, it's slow going when it's vanity weight, don't expect to be losing 2lb per week, 0.5lb per week is usually the rate of loss to be aiming for when you're looking to lose so little.
  • jwills9082
    jwills9082 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83
    Lol 😂 vanity weight . I suppose I forgot to mention I’m only 5ft and half a stone feels more like 2 stone to me lol . I do agree with you , slow and steady is best. I’ve been on weight watchers for years which helped me shift the wight but I never really figured out the nutritional side of my eating habits. I know I need to move more and eat less. I’m finding the recipes are very helpful. Do you have any further tips ? 👍
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm in the UK too and finding this lockdown far harder than the first when I could get out on my bike far more.

You have put your finger on it that it can be as simple as eat less/move more but I'd also add try to make the whole thing as easy as possible and as least unpleasant as possible. We don't really need more stress right now.

Worth reviewing your food diary from time to time to see where it's easiest to trim some calories off, substitutions/alternatives, maybe moving your food intake around so you eat when you are hungriest and drop calories when it's easier to do - the possibilities are many. Exercise you actually enjoy helps enormously too, it shouldn't be a chore or something you do just for weight loss IMHO.

"At my age" - be careful with that thought, it's really not any harder and you will be wiser than your younger self.
  • jwills9082
    jwills9082 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @sijomial @tinkerbellang83 thanks for the advise. I’m so new to this app and how it works , it’s very much appreciated. How do you request to be friends ? Or how do you join other groups?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @sijomial @tinkerbellang83 thanks for the advise. I’m so new to this app and how it works , it’s very much appreciated. How do you request to be friends ? Or how do you join other groups?
    You're very welcome.
    On the browser version, look at someone's profile pages and you will see a green box "Add as a friend" - sends a friend request. (Beware there seems to be a bug where message sent with the request doesn't seem to come through. You will get used to bugs on here! :wink:

Groups should (note should!) have a green box to join.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options

To add a friend, click on the persons name, that will bring up a "user card" click on the name again and then you should get an option to add friend (if on the app, it's the icon that is 2 people)

Groups depend on the type of Group Public or Private, some require and invitation, other you should (in theory) be able to just click join, however, there's a bug at the moment that might not show the Join option, some have said the Join option appears at the top once they go into one of the discussion threads.

You can find all groups here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups

I have a Weekly Weigh In group, if you want to test it out. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/118368-weekly-weigh-in-group