Anyone do "rebounding"?

Rannoch3908
Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
edited January 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I had never heard of this until today. Someone here suggested it in another thread.

I'm 300lbs.
Never thought I could jump on a mini trampoline without breaking it.

Tell me more.

I've got about $40 to spend on one (or multiple) pieces of equipment.

Looking for low impact exercise for weight loss. In horrible shape.

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited January 2021
    Not sure what a new weight-appropriate rebounder would cost. Mine was a thrift store find for $10 USD. Walmart dot com offers a $40 version with a purported workout load of 330 lb. But I'd be VERY leery about that claim over time and long term use. Cheaper canvas may stretch and sag over time.

And don't think you have to jump on it. Even a basic march will do wonders. :)
  • MsCzar
    edited January 2021
    Manufacturer's claim:

(I would take this with several large grains of salt. Equivalent to 500 sit-ups?!) ;)

Need a jumpstart to your exercise routine? The Skywalker Sports Rebounder Fitness Trampoline will support you in your exercise goals. You will get the best possible workout, in a shorter period. Rebounding exercise provides a low-impact, full-body workout that is softer on the joints. Also, 15 minutes of jumping is the equivalent of 30 minutes of running and swimming, 60 minutes of yoga or 500 sit-ups. It does not matter your skill level or age; the Skywalker Sports Rebounder Fitness Trampoline is an excellent addition to your exercise routine. Train hard faster by activating over 400 muscles while rebounding. Fifteen minutes of jumping is equivalent to 30 minutes running

Also: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/nasa-the-trampoline-and-you/

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    edited January 2021
    I am getting curious about this rebounder thing too. Not so much regarding the burning calories part (twice as much as running?!... sounds too optimistic), but I'm wondering if it would help me improve my balance, which isn't great. On the other hand, I'm afraid that, precisely because my balance isn't great, I may fall and injure myself. :neutral:
    I'll have to research a bit more on this.
  • MsCzar
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    I am getting curious about this rebounder thing too. ... I'm wondering if it would help me improve my balance, which isn't great. On the other hand, I'm afraid that, precisely because my balance isn't great, I may fall and injure myself.

They sell rebounders with a balance bar attached. Plus, you can always keep one or even both feet on the canvas. I know that my balance has improved. I didn't even realise it until I was putting on a pair of jeans and did it standing up. I haven't been able to do THAT for at least a decade!

If your balance is wonky -always take a moment after stepping off the rebounder to get your bearings. You could experience a moment of "sea legs."

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    We got a rebounder a few weeks ago and love it. The purported weight limit on ours is 350 pounds, and it has a bar for balance, though I wouldn't lean on it too much, as it is not really weight bearing but just something to reach for if you need it occasionally. Ours was $130 but I've seen very similar ones on Amazon for $70-ish.

I've been testing it every night as far as what kind of intensity level of exercise it yields, with a forearm HR strap and a HR recording app on my phone, because my concern was whether it was "enough" of a workout. A few observations based on those tests. Just bouncing around casually on it without actually taking my feet off the mat, like doing some jumping jack type movements with my arms and so forth, dancing in place, etc., produces around 55-60 % of MHR for me, akin to going for a casual walk. As soon as my feet come off the mat, it heads up to 65-70 %, akin to a vigorous walk or a medium intensity session on my exercise bike. I haven't pushed the bouncing workouts harder than that, because I prefer workouts in the 65-70 % of MHR range. But I imagine it could easily be accomplished, though you wouldn't want to, not now anyway.

I can't think of any piece of exercise equipment I've used that is simpler, cheaper, more convenient, or more all around fun than the rebounder. I used it every night for ~ 20 minutes after dinner. It's right in front of the TV and weighs about 7-8 pounds, so I just pick it up and move it out of the way when I'm done.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Got a link to the one you use?

I am 295 right now (was 316 two months ago).

Want to spend between $50-$75 but not have it snap and break on me either - ha ha.

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Just jump. Cost zero.

Jumping an inch or two off the ground wearing decent shoes or on a yoga mat is not. hard on your knees.

Start with 2 min every 2 hours.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Manufacturer's claim:

(I would take this with several large grains of salt. Equivalent to 500 sit-ups?!) ;)

Need a jumpstart to your exercise routine? The Skywalker Sports Rebounder Fitness Trampoline will support you in your exercise goals. You will get the best possible workout, in a shorter period. Rebounding exercise provides a low-impact, full-body workout that is softer on the joints. Also, 15 minutes of jumping is the equivalent of 30 minutes of running and swimming, 60 minutes of yoga or 500 sit-ups. It does not matter your skill level or age; the Skywalker Sports Rebounder Fitness Trampoline is an excellent addition to your exercise routine. Train hard faster by activating over 400 muscles while rebounding. Fifteen minutes of jumping is equivalent to 30 minutes running

Also: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/nasa-the-trampoline-and-you/

Rebounding might be decent movement but way optimistic.
  • lgfrie
    Got a link to the one you use?

I am 295 right now (was 316 two months ago).

Want to spend between $50-$75 but not have it snap and break on me either - ha ha.

This one. Seems to be quite solid. Also the top seller in the category on Amazon, which often makes my purchasing decision for me.

https://www.amazon.com/BCAN-Foldable-Trampoline-Rebounder-Adjustable/dp/B07SMGQ18F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=rebounder&qid=1611006553&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGREpMMEVPSUs1UlMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxNzE3OTQzODJQUkIzTE9YQlBJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4OTM4MTYxRzlQUDZVM01XTDhMJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    I am getting curious about this rebounder thing too. ... I'm wondering if it would help me improve my balance, which isn't great. On the other hand, I'm afraid that, precisely because my balance isn't great, I may fall and injure myself.

They sell rebounders with a balance bar attached. Plus, you can always keep one or even both feet on the canvas. I know that my balance has improved. I didn't even realise it until I was putting on a pair of jeans and did it standing up. I haven't been able to do THAT for at least a decade!

If your balance is wonky -always take a moment after stepping off the rebounder to get your bearings. You could experience a moment of "sea legs."

That's good to know, and thank you for the tips!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I had never heard of this until today. Someone here suggested it in another thread.

I'm 300lbs.
    Never thought I could jump on a mini trampoline without breaking it.

Tell me more.

I've got about $40 to spend on one (or multiple) pieces of equipment.

Looking for low impact exercise for weight loss. In horrible shape.

Don't waste your money on anything cheap. I tried a Gold's Gym rebounder at Wal-Mart (several years ago). It was super stiff, like jumping on the floor. Reviews stated the springs squeak and the hooks holding the springs to the frame eventually bend (gives way).

I did buy a Jump Sport Rebounder (bungee cords). This is a moderate priced model. I love it. There are higher end rebounders, but this suits my needs. Maybe look for used equipment on freecycle, etc.

For low impact, you might start with Leslie Sansone walk aerobics videos. No equipment needed. There are lots of these videos on Youtube or DVD. This will help you build up endurance, you can go at your own pace because there is no choreography.

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Still low impact, but at a higher intensity - step aerobics. Look for a used step bench at thrift stores. Not commonly found there, but new benches usually start around $30. Check out Jenny Ford (Youtube) to see if step aerobics is something that interests you.
  • lgfrie
    I’ll be honest... I only clicked on this to get a chuckle of of the next “ridiculous trend.” Well... silly me. This sounds awesome and perfect for my small space. I just went to Amazon and purchased one. :)

You won't be disappointed. We have all sorts of expensive, complex exercise machines and equipment, and yet it was pretty clear in the first hour that the cheap, simple rebounder was going to be the most in-demand piece of gear in our house. Every night it's an argument over who gets to use it. I get on it for 5 or 10 minutes every time I walk past the living room, where it lives. Not necessarily to burn more calories but because it's flat out fun. I just really love bouncing and dancing on that thing.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    edited January 2021
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I’ll be honest... I only clicked on this to get a chuckle of of the next “ridiculous trend.” Well... silly me. This sounds awesome and perfect for my small space. I just went to Amazon and purchased one. :)

You won't be disappointed. We have all sorts of expensive, complex exercise machines and equipment, and yet it was pretty clear in the first hour that the cheap, simple rebounder was going to be the most in-demand piece of gear in our house. Every night it's an argument over who gets to use it. I get on it for 5 or 10 minutes every time I walk past the living room, where it lives. Not necessarily to burn more calories but because it's flat out fun. I just really love bouncing and dancing on that thing.

It arrives Friday and I’m so excited! Thank you for the encouragement and endorsement of a cool product.
  • lgfrie
    Update: I got my rebounder yesterday and can hardly stay off it. I’m a little bouncing fool. I love it!!

I know, right? I'm still a bouncing fool on mine, a month later LOL It's hard to believe this even qualifies as exercise, in the sense of having to work at something. I'd do it even if it weren't. Love the rebounder!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    I got mine yesterday too. It was fun. I am balance challenged, I am hoping this will help me.