Garden thread

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    This year's garden added 5 lbs. of wild black raspberries and 6 lb.s of green beans to my freezer. I have 70 green tomatoes wrapped in the cool cellar - so I expect to be eating garden tomatoes well into December. Lots of dried chives, lemon balm, mint, rosemary and basil stocked in the spice cabinet for winter.

Next year, I want to add butternut squash, chard and zucchini. In the past, critters usually get anything in the squash family well before I do, but I'll give it a go.

When my city got rid of dead trees that were on their land but touching my fence, they cleared about a 30 foot strip that freed up an environment hospitable for brambles. They did nothing the first year. There were tons of blossoms this year, but very little fruit. (We had a major drought.) I think they are wild black raspberries. but they are not on the silvery stems I'm used to - the stems and leaves look just like my mom's blackberries.

When I run out of gardening to-do's in my yard I fuss around back there and am not sure what I'm going to do with them. They are super invasive but not very productive.

Today I think I am going to rip out the lemon balm I planted back there - I put it too close to the gate and it is eating everything else I planted and creeping towards my fence.

Is it vine borers that are ruining your squashes or bigger pests?
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Think I'm just going to grow a large variety of peppers and herbs for the spring, still in the 70's and 80's here in central Texas. Here are two bunches of jalapenos picked this month, super spicy kicking:

yzr9dttj4d8k.jpg
    p7vsgwmmpnqt.jpg
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Those look beautiful--I'm jealous. Mine are all dead, of course, since it's definitely past the season for them in Chicago! ;-)
  • LoveyChar
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Those look beautiful--I'm jealous. Mine are all dead, of course, since it's definitely past the season for them in Chicago! ;-)

Thank you! First batch were stuffed with cheddar and cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Latest ones I've just been sauteeing in butter and stuffing in burritos.
  • LoveyChar
    Bell Peppers, I love seeing that red!

yhz1ard4m4cp.jpg

A little seedling...

3zl83ib5ksc1.jpg

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    I started a batch of mushroom barley soup in part to use up the last of my chanterelles. With all this rain, it's possible we'll get another flush if it warms up.

Then I thought, HEY, WAIT! There might still be salvageable celery in the garden! Even as I had just started sauteing the onions, I ran out and grabbed a couple stalks. This is the last thing I'll pick until the winter beets start to get big enough. I had a dream last week they were ripe, and that made me happy.
  • kshama2001
    edited December 2020
    We're expecting a foot of snow overnight so cut down the ornamental grasses as they are alongside the driveway and we need them out of the way for the snowblower.

Also put out suet for the birds. I've saved stale bread in the freezer for them, and will start putting that out after the snow.

My OH is putting the patio furniture away.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    We're expecting a foot of snow overnight so cut down the ornamental grasses as they are alongside the driveway and we need them out of the way for the snowblower.

Also put out suet for the birds. I've saved stale bread in the freezer for them, and will start putting that out after the snow.

My OH is putting the patio furniture away.

Now that snow is coming, it’s time to start daydreaming about spring flowers, right?? I got my Baker Creek Seed catalog a couple weeks ago - drool worthy! My parents were visiting and my dad, who had previously declared he is not planting anything next year, started planning out a few things to try - mission accomplished 😁

We are getting our 12”+ as well! The kids have already been out in it for a while, I am hunkered down in the basement working on a couple quilts. I am a cold weather wuss anymore 🙄 thankfully we had done a yard/garden clean up a couple weeks ago when the weather was gorgeous. I do need to top off one feeder with some BOSS though, thanks for the reminder!
  • mtaratoot
    Winter hasn't even quite started. Solstice is still over two days away (08:39:13 on 21 December where I live). Daylight length is still slowly getting less. It will get down to eight hours, 49 minutes, and 13 seconds on 20 and 21 December.

Yet already there's signs of spring.

The peonies are poking their little buds out of the ground.
    5h3aw4daq4h9.jpg

The filbert trees have catkins.
    oefee2b7ado3.jpg

Even the lilacs are putting on buds (sorry for the awful image quality).
    727rsaobnyce.jpg

Happy Solstice!

Some might even invoke Sol Invictus. I'll just say I'm glad we're almost done with this part of our annual journey around our local star.

Don't forget the reason for the season: Axial Tilt!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Has anyone tried Winter indoor Belgian endive in a tub? Something I always thought about, never tried. The commercial ones are tasty, but on the expensive side, for produce.
  • mtaratoot
    Time to start thinking about seeds. Full moon in February for peas, right?

My garlic sprouts are starting to poke their little heads out of the Earth.

bx07ay77211y.jpg
  • kshama2001
    I bought Prairie Smoke seeds and am not liking the part about putting the seeds and soil in the frig for two months. I'm afraid that to do it properly will take up too much room in the frig and if I use an amount of soil that will take up a small space they will get jumbled together.

I'm tempted to just throw the bag in the frig for now and a month before it is time to plant soak, stratify and start in soil in the unheated part of the basement.

Thoughts?

https://www.smartseedsemporium.com/products/geum-trifolium-prairie-smoke?_pos=3&_sid=5b90cf391&_ss=r

256304791_1024x1024.jpg?v=1468622319

359904003_1024x1024.jpg?v=1468622319
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Does anybody know if seeds saved from tomatoes picked green, wrapped and ripened (barely) in a cold cellar will produce viable seeds?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Does anybody know if seeds saved from tomatoes picked green, wrapped and ripened (barely) in a cold cellar will produce viable seeds?

I highly doubt that they will. I've never tried that, but as far as I know, seeds are picked from a ripe fruit. Also, make sure your tomatoes aren't hybrid.
  • LoveyChar
    First time quarantine gardener last year who tried so hard to make everything "perfect," which resulted in failure. This year I'm going a little rogue. I dumped a bunch of potted soil containing seeds into my garden and much to my surprise up popped parsley and I have Bell Pepper seedlings growing in there. I'm not pulling anything this year, nothing, unless I know it's a weed. 2021 will be a year of spiritual and emotional growth and plant growth too, I hope!!!

ahtlvu1q870d.jpg

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    First time quarantine gardener last year who tried so hard to make everything "perfect," which resulted in failure. This year I'm going a little rogue. I dumped a bunch of potted soil containing seeds into my garden and much to my surprise up popped parsley and I have Bell Pepper seedlings growing in there. I'm not pulling anything this year, nothing, unless I know it's a weed. 2021 will be a year of spiritual and emotional growth and plant growth too, I hope!!!

ahtlvu1q870d.jpg

You know parsley is a hardy biennial, right? (Well, hardy to USDA zone 5, at least, and the web says 4-9.) If you never had parsley plants in that soil, obviously it's a seedling, of course. But if there were plants, it could be a returnee. In year 2, the plants look a little squirrely eventually, IME, then flower and go to seed - not that helpful for cutting.

Apologies if this is stating the obvious.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2021
    I bought Prairie Smoke seeds and am not liking the part about putting the seeds and soil in the frig for two months. I'm afraid that to do it properly will take up too much room in the frig and if I use an amount of soil that will take up a small space they will get jumbled together.

I'm tempted to just throw the bag in the frig for now and a month before it is time to plant soak, stratify and start in soil in the unheated part of the basement.

Thoughts?

https://www.smartseedsemporium.com/products/geum-trifolium-prairie-smoke?_pos=3&_sid=5b90cf391&_ss=r

@Kshama2001, the seeds need what is called “cold-moist” stratification for 60 days before those seeds can germinate. This can easily be accomplished in your refrigerator in couple different ways. Check out the instructions under the heading “GERM CODE C” in the following URL.

https://www.prairiemoon.com/blog/how-to-germinate-native-seeds

Or Google “Winter-sowing” for an equally easy method for stratifying the seeds outside.
  • kshama2001
    rhauser44 wrote: »

Thoughts?

@Kshama2001, the seeds need what is called “cold-moist” stratification for 60 days before those seeds can germinate. This can easily be accomplished in your refrigerator in couple different ways. Check out the instructions under the heading “GERM CODE C” in the following URL.

https://www.prairiemoon.com/blog/how-to-germinate-native-seeds

Or Google “Winter-sowing” for an equally easy method for stratifying the seeds outside.

The damp paper towel / coffee filter method is perfect, thanks so much!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    I'm going to look into this too, was thinking about trying to add some native seeds.

kshama, I recently bought this: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/emily-dickinsons-gardening-life-marta-mcdowell/1130003359, which given location you might find interesting, I expect it is at libraries. (I haven't actually read it yet.)