What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    edited January 2021
    Daiya is one of the worst tasting vegan cheeses. There are so many way better tasting brands.

I always hear people raving about daiya and using it at restaurants when there are so many way better tasting ones.

What are your favorites? The only brand I've tried is Daiya and I like it. I use the shredded kind mostly. I tried the cheese sauce for the first time yesterday and while it tasted good to me, it's a salt bomb. What brand will knock my socks off?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Daiya is one of the worst tasting vegan cheeses. There are so many way better tasting brands.

I always hear people raving about daiya and using it at restaurants when there are so many way better tasting ones.

What are your favorites? The only brand I've tried is Daiya and I like it. I use the shredded kind mostly. I tried the cheese sauce for the first time yesterday and while it tasted good to me, it's a salt bomb. What brand will knock my socks off?

I used to buy Daiya because I always heard it was the best. The pepperjack is the best out of all the flavors, but since I've tried more I've found others are a lot better. My absolute favorite is Follow Your Heart brand Parmesan shreds. Such a strong flavor. I love their cheddar and mozzarella as well. Violife is a close second. (They have a great feta and shreds) Both brands are a lot more flavorful and taste "cheesier" to me than Daiya.

For slices, Violife smoked provolone, smoked cheddar and mature cheddar are all really good. I also like chao as a close second for slices.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah, the cocoa is unsweetened, has kept well so far. It was nice to have when we did a Day of the Dead thing with Mexican hot chocolate.

My last flour got infested with some mites, but it was also way past the supposed expiration date--I just use flour very rarely. Sugar seems to last longer and is weirdly less likely to get infested, but I tend to buy it in much smaller quantities too. Milk I can never use before it goes bad since just din't use it that much unless I buy it for a specific purpose. (This is why I'm a fan of homemade cashew milk, since I always have cashews on hand.) I've been buying milk more lately since I've been experimenting with making yogurt. Oil, yeah, I have on hand. Yeast I used to have on hand when I made bread, but not for ages.

I keep my flour in the freezer for this very reason. I use it rarely and it got infested with weevils once.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Ugh, do not even get me started on the tragedy that is consumer nutrition education. :s

I worked as a Personal Trainer and Nutrition coach for over a decade. Now I work in a healthier store. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL! It is relentless and sad what people think they know, fall for and choose to believe.
    I did the same thing all through the 80's. Snackwells, fat free everything, salad bars...lol
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited January 2021
    I don't think it is necessarily the education system to blame, per se. But the tragedy is that so much of what is taught and marketed is from the food industry itself. Industry-funded research studies, etc.
  • Cody0103
    Cody0103 Posts: 14 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Cody0103 wrote: »
    Eating mushrooms is like eating slimey poop growths

Delicious slimy poop growths.

hahaha I just cant eat it.
  • pancakerunner

I think all dairy free cheeses are an insult
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    Isn't "dairy free cheeses" an oximoron?
    Dairy and gluten are an essential part of my diet.

I'm fine with tofu in miso soup and other Asian dishes, but tofu as a main dish disgusts me. 🤢 :D
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Eating mushrooms is like eating slimey poop growths

Delicious slimy poop growths.

hahaha I just cant eat it.

I eat mushrooms everyday.
    Weird thing is they never come out slimy when I cook them. Wonder if it's the type of mushroom you use.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021

I make my own nut cheese... Does that mean I insult myself? 😂😂😂😂 Sorry bad joke
  • pancakerunner
    Isn't "dairy free cheeses" an oximoron?
    Dairy and gluten are an essential part of my diet.

I'm fine with tofu in miso soup and other Asian dishes, but tofu as a main dish disgusts me. 🤢 :D

I only like extra firm tofu
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Tofu makes me sick. Not the taste, not the texture, the soy. I try hard to avoid soy. It’s hard, but being sick all the time is harder.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    I love hot peppers and I love sushi, but I hate wasabi and horseradish.
  • Noreenmarie1234

I used to buy Daiya because I always heard it was the best. The pepperjack is the best out of all the flavors, but since I've tried more I've found others are a lot better. My absolute favorite is Follow Your Heart brand Parmesan shreds. Such a strong flavor. I love their cheddar and mozzarella as well. Violife is a close second. (They have a great feta and shreds) Both brands are a lot more flavorful and taste "cheesier" to me than Daiya.

For slices, Violife smoked provolone, smoked cheddar and mature cheddar are all really good. I also like chao as a close second for slices.

Forgot to add Myikos. Wegmans dairy free cheese section is crazy. I have yet to try them all. ls5zxji7j28h.jpeg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Tofu makes me sick. Not the taste, not the texture, the soy. I try hard to avoid soy. It’s hard, but being sick all the time is harder.

Same. I had to cut soy out of my diet for awhile due to Interstitial Cystitis because I was on a strict diet to try and get my flares under control. Slowly I started to add foods back in, but for some reason soy did not do well. Not only did it flare my IC (yay bladder pain!), but also gave me a rash on my arms and chest along with bad stomach cramps and other digestive problems. I had been eating it just fine before the IC too.

Now I can have soy oil and soy lecithin with no problems, but soy protein, plain soy, or soy flour still makes me SO SO ill. And they are everywhere!
  • pancakerunner

Forgot to add Myikos. Wegmans dairy free cheese section is crazy. I have yet to try them all. ls5zxji7j28h.jpeg

Myikos is the only I have KIND of liked.
  • pancakerunner
    So, I'm not big on alcohol in the first place (I only do wine and champagne), but I do NOT understand the appeal of bloody mary's!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    So, I'm not big on alcohol in the first place (I only do wine and champagne), but I do NOT understand the appeal of bloody mary's!

Whaaaaaaat?? I could drink a strong one every day (I don't.....promise). They are so good with lots of spicy things added. It does look gross, lol. I don't do the celery thing though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    On that note, Vegetable juice like tomato/carrot/etc is just gross.