Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 1,643 Member Member Posts: 1,643 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is unpopular but sugary candy like Jolly ranchers, starbursts, swedish fish, etc. are pointless.

Also, tootsie rolls and Rolo's are not good.

WHAT ABOUT GUMMI BEARS?!?

Mostly not vegetarian. ;)

Okay, gonna get cranky and argue with that "disagree".

It's not the bear part. It's the gummi part.

Most brands of gummies contain gelatin. Gelatin is not vegetarian. Period. It's an animal product. Statement of fact.

There are a few "vegan" brands of gummies that don't have gelatin, but have something like agar or pectin instead. Those would be vegetarian bears. Y'know, kinda like vegetarian bacon. :lol:

Fun facts: Marshmallows are normally not vegetarian, either, but marshmallow fluff is. Not vegan/plant-based, usually, though - egg whites.

For the record, it was NOT me that disagreed. I looked up vegan gummies...they are not too easy to come by, but Annie's has a bunny fruit snack that's vegan. I think the vegan varieties fall in more that "fruit snack" category, which are a little different texturally from traditional gummis.
  • ejbronteejbronte Member Posts: 826 Member Member Posts: 826 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    River314 wrote: »
    I don't like watermelon or mango

The fruits I don’t like are peaches and blueberries. I don’t even like peach flavored things, and the actual fruit texture bothers me. Blueberries taste metallic to me, but I can tolerate them if mixed with other fruit.

I like most fruit, but mostly on their own. I'm not generally fond of things like blueberry muffins, and I have to be in the mood for a fruit-filled pie.

I actually like blueberry muffins, I think cooking them helps cut the metallic taste for me. Generally, though, I'm the same, and prefer fruit on its own. I generally don't like pieces of things in my baked goods, I prefer a smooth texture. Nuts are okay, but fruit (and especially raisins) create a weird texture unless they "melt" enough to better match the texture of the rest of the food. Texture is a big part of my food dislikes, and even the context of the texture - raisins are fine on their own, but I can't stand them in cakes or cookies.

Oh, yes, texture counts for so much with me! It's one of the reasons I tend to dislike mushrooms and a great deal of seafood.
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    wfzetb9nhxap.jpg

my favorite summertime app!

Why would this be unpopular? Slice of bread, cream cheese and cucumber. Nice, cold and refreshing.

a lot of people don't like pumpernickel :)

Cucumber sandwiches play a part in Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest" - see this clip - for the cucumbers specifically at the three minute mark. There are no cucumbers because Algernon has eaten all the sandwiches before his aunt's entrance, even though he ordered them especially for her:
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 6,756 Member Member Posts: 6,756 Member
    ^such a good movie🙂
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 690 Member Member Posts: 690 Member
    I do not like nuts in chocolate- only nut butter (Dairy milk fruit and nut is the exception) Fluffbutter- I like with a spoon and covered in chocolate syrup :)
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    ^such a good movie🙂

Agreed! I used to know whole passages by heart. Food comes into play even more in the second half: cake vs. bread and butter; and muffins.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,782 Member Member Posts: 3,782 Member
    I agree. I am not a fan of sugar candies or gummies. As a kid I loved them though. Now I’d just prefer something with peanut butter or chocolate or nuts.

Now and laters are terrible. So are airheads, skittles, and Twizzlers.

Okay... a couple exceptions. I like sour patch kids, jubilees, sour worms, peach rings and dots. totally depends on occasion.
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Member Posts: 3,778 Member Member Posts: 3,778 Member
    I agree. I am not a fan of sugar candies or gummies. As a kid I loved them though. Now I’d just prefer something with peanut butter or chocolate or nuts.

Okay... a couple exceptions. I like sour patch kids, jubilees, sour worms, peach rings and dots. totally depends on occasion.

I used to LOVE these orange slice jelly candies - but now I don't care for them because I straight up ate too many one time and made myself super sick.

orange-slices.jpg
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,782 Member Member Posts: 3,782 Member

I used to LOVE these orange slice jelly candies - but now I don't care for them because I straight up ate too many one time and made myself super sick.

orange-slices.jpg

my teeth hurt just looking at this haha
    spu6m9yxlqhj.png

these are underrated
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 1,643 Member Member Posts: 1,643 Member
    spu6m9yxlqhj.png

these are underrated

Noooo....these are better.
    2j9qi3b5zn41.jpeg
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

another unpopular candy opinion: these are good
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

I can't believe you poop on gummi bears, but like those things. :p
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

i acually like things that have that artificial banana flavor haha
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member Posts: 10,190 Member Member Posts: 10,190 Member
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

I do too.

Also, it turns out I like many things people look down upon, like cheap candies or things that people don't consider "sophisticated" enough for the adult palate. Ketchup on hot dogs? Gimme! Velveeta? I'll happily eat a melted Velveeta sandwich. Canned tuna? Sure, why not. Chocolate? Dark chocolate is cool and all but I would never turn my nose up on plain old milk chocolate. Fast food? Chain restaurants are fine, it doesn't have to be a mom-and-pop for me to eat it. Sometimes I feel I'm the least picky person I know.
  • glassyoglassyo Member Posts: 4,458 Member Member Posts: 4,458 Member
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

I do too.

Also, it turns out I like many things people look down upon, like cheap candies or things that people don't consider "sophisticated" enough for the adult palate. Ketchup on hot dogs? Gimme! Velveeta? I'll happily eat a melted Velveeta sandwich. Canned tuna? Sure, why not. Chocolate? Dark chocolate is cool and all but I would never turn my nose up on plain old milk chocolate. Fast food? Chain restaurants are fine, it doesn't have to be a mom-and-pop for me to eat it. Sometimes I feel I'm the least picky person I know.

I feel like I'm you... :)
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Member Posts: 3,778 Member Member Posts: 3,778 Member
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

I do too.

I'm a huge fan of American cheese. Melts so good on grilled cheese. Also, EZ Cheez, bacon cheddar flavor. I think that one is a bit more nostalgia speaking than the American, but I still love it.
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

I do too.

I'm a huge fan of American cheese. Melts so good on grilled cheese. Also, EZ Cheez, bacon cheddar flavor. I think that one is a bit more nostalgia speaking than the American, but I still love it.

I'm the same... with exceptions.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 690 Member Member Posts: 690 Member
    vdwv1eci2v3b.png

I do too.

I'm the same... with exceptions.

If they made a plant based Velveeta I might .. special occasion mac and cheese( still use Shiritaki)

the idea of "everything in moderation" is really a marketing ploy.