Confession of a former (almost) 500lbs guy

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My bad habits started in my childhood.

It was just my mom and me, we'd frequently cook Hamburger Helpers or other family meals and eat the whole five servings between the two of us. My summer lunches were always a plate of chicken nuggets with a whole can of peas covered in cheese. We used food as "rewards." If I had to get up early for a doctor appointment, I got McDonald's for breakfast. If we took the cat to the vet, we'd stop by the BK next door. We were HUGE snackers. We would both mindlessly eat all night long in front of the TV. Chicken nuggets, nachos, candy, anything we had (usually carb-loaded).

My freshman year of college my grandma gave me a giant bag of quarters for laundry. We later found out laundry was free on campus so of course I used all that money in the vending machine. My junior year I spent all my extra meal plan money on Coke from the coffee shop.

As an adult, I've frequently eaten fast food for "rewards" as well. Hard day at work? McDonald's. Too tired and stressed to cook anything (i.e. don't have anything delicious in the house)? Taco Bell. Having both open 24 hours and down the street didn't help. We'd also celebrate big events with multiple nights out instead of just one.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    Mine was similar-- eating a full dinner...then 8 or 9 would come around and i was STARVING (*rolls eyes*)-- so i would eat another full dinner.

Not at all blaming others for my obesity BUT now knowing how many calories are in meals --- HOW IS THIS LEGAL?? how can one meal at a chain restaurant have 1500 calories in it?! it's bizarre. I never realized this before MFP. The old me would eat that whole meal plus a dessert - when today i eat 1200 calories total for the day. it's amazing how many calories we consume when we're blindly eating.

I had this same realization recently. That I'm probably eating like half of the calories I used to eat when I had no idea how many calories were in anything... sheesh. it's like you suddenly "wake up" and think, my god, no wonder I got so fat! lol...
  • Coleman73
    Options
    bump
  • kimberly130
    Options
    Its funny there are a lot of similarities in everyone's posts!
    I would leave work, grab fast food to eat on the way home, get home and eat dinner which was always a high sodium or butter meal (my beau cooks everything with butter and salt!) and A LOT, than I would binge on whatever was in the cabinet. I would feel so sick from being so full, but it wouldn't stop there. My beau would go to work at the bar and I would meet him later on and drink a few beers... (another problem Ive fixed!) than go home watch some TV with, guess what, MORE JUNK!

Thankfully he is sooo supportive so he makes dinner much healthier, we only have "good" snacks, (purged the cabinets) and when I think of meeting him at the bar, I go for a jog or exercise instead! (plus he wont serve me or I get ice water with a splash of cran for color! lol) :smile:

BTW great thread!
  • kimberly130
    Options
    Mine was similar-- eating a full dinner...then 8 or 9 would come around and i was STARVING (*rolls eyes*)-- so i would eat another full dinner.

Not at all blaming others for my obesity BUT now knowing how many calories are in meals --- HOW IS THIS LEGAL?? how can one meal at a chain restaurant have 1500 calories in it?! it's bizarre. I never realized this before MFP. The old me would eat that whole meal plus a dessert - when today i eat 1200 calories total for the day. it's amazing how many calories we consume when we're blindly eating.

Agreed! my prev post when I started I plugged in what I would eat on an average day and it was OVER 4000 calories!!! plus just sitting ALL day!

I had this same realization recently. That I'm probably eating like half of the calories I used to eat when I had no idea how many calories were in anything... sheesh. it's like you suddenly "wake up" and think, my god, no wonder I got so fat! lol...
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I thought I was the only person in the whole entire world that did these types of things. It's refreshing to know that I'm not alone.

I used to go to McDee's religously and order 2 value meals. Find a secluded area and eat like a pig, dump the trash in a dumpster. I did this all the time.. I mean all the time. If I couldn't find a place to hide the garbage I would shove it under the seats in my car and find a car wash somewhere to get rid of the leftover trash.

I always woke up in the middle of the night to eat tons of food, it almost didn't matter what it was as long as I could eat. I can't even really say how much I ate because I just kept eating without keeping track..

One time a girl was driving past me in a parking lot and she saw me, she gave me the ugliest stinky face I had ever seen. I was so humilated and embarrased I just wanted to die.

I haven't been to McDee's or any other fast food joint in almost a year, the last time was in September of last year before we went to see the Diamondbacks baseball game. And that was it. I guess I could say that fast food is ok for some who can control what they eat, I however cannot control it. I have to literally fight every single day to stay on track. It is what it is.

I'm so inspired by everyone on here and really proud of all you guys. It is such a huge accomplishment..
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow it is amazing how many of these stories remind me of myself. I have been guilty of many of these same habits and thankfully am now learning to recognize them before they start. Food addiction is a really power thing and like I once heard someone say it is hard to quit because we need it to survive. You all are so inspiring and it is so wonderful to have such a "family" that we can all relate and support each other.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    Thanks for this post and everyone for sharing. I see some of myself in a lot of your stories, I thought I was really the only person who'd eat "pre-dinner" from mickey d's on the way home, buying snacks, candy, little debbie nutty bars were my weakness, hiding them in my bag, in my car... sigh. It was so embarrassing. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. :ohwell:
  • vanyaann
    Options
    wow! Thanks for sharing! I go get 1/2 gallons of ice cream, eat it in the car, throw away the evidence and look just as shocked as everyone else about my weight! i need to stop this behavior before it kills me!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My confession is that I would eat a big bowl of ice cream with the family and then when the kids went to bed and husband went upstairs to his mancave to play his game I would go eat the rest of the ice cream in one setting and of course cant forget the globs of hot fudge sauce, the end was one time early spring when I was starting to change my ways lost some weight at this point I was about to do this again and made myself that second bowl took two bites my stomach felt ill and I threw it away and took the rest of that ice cream out of the freezer and let it melt in the sink overnight and havent done that since, now I get myself low cal ice cream treats single serve treats (ice cream is my weakness have to have it just no so much)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bmmadeen, sounds like me....Blue Bell ice cream is sold locally, and I used to be their number one customer...esp the Homemade Vanilla and the Tin Roof.......chocolate decadane. And there were times I could finish the whole half gal....pretty sad

Glad I m not the only one....those days are in the past, thankfully....Nice post 500 lb man...LLoyd
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post and everyone for sharing. I see some of myself in a lot of your stories, I thought I was really the only person who'd eat "pre-dinner" from mickey d's on the way home, buying snacks, candy, little debbie nutty bars were my weakness, hiding them in my bag, in my car... sigh. It was so embarrassing. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. :ohwell:

Nope! Not even close to being alone! I'm astounded at what lengths I would go to to fill up. I mean, my idea of enough food was when I could literally not put one more bite in my mouth.

I'm just thinking about Jack In The Box... I'd buy a Sour Dough Jack combo, plus 4 tacos (sometimes the big ones), then cheese sticks or poppers PLUS I'd have a shake or another dessert. My drink? A diet coke. Ironic, ain't it?
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh! Am I the only one who has ordered 2 drinks, just so it would look like I wasn't eating it all myself? Lol! I probably only did it once... most of the other times I just didn't care, but still... that's funny!
  • christina000
    Options
    This is crazy, I did the exact same things except I would finish it off with a big purge. So I have never been overweight, but I have been an overeater for years.

Years ago when my boyfriend at the time was at work, I would eat so much food, almost everything in the house, purge it, and then go to the grocery store to replensih the supplies. That was at my worst.

I will battle with this ED my whole life, but I finally have it under control.
  • narenn
    Options
    For quite a while I would go to subway after class and order at least 1/2 a dozen cookies...

That's 1,200+ calories right there... Did that every day for months on top of the useless junk meals and snacks.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    225 lbs! Thats amazing. I gotta say, I used to do the same (2 dinners, not three) and Im glad I made the switch. I pull my body type from my fathers side, a bunch of big, heavy Scotsmen, and I knew I never wanted to end up like them, so I knew I had to make a change
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My bad relationship with food began at age 18. I was friggin miserable. Living in a dump of a place, in a relationship that was just plain weird, doing a degree I just felt under-prepared for and out of my depth (I did it though and did well), my family were unsupportive, I felt very alone.
    During the tougher times I would stop at the supermarket and buy things like satay sticks, samosas, chocolate, sausage rolls, anything with cheese in and a pack of ten *kitten* (cigarettes).

I would eat everything I had whilst smoking as many cigs as I could, then throw the wrappers and remaining cigs in the bin and go home. Never admit, never confess, hide the evidence.

Looking back now I wonder if I was subconsciously trying to break a Guiness record for the quickest self induced heart attack!
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    One of my weird & detrimental habits (which I've pretty much kicked) is eating when my stomach's upset. I'd basically convinced myself that every stomach pain was caused by hunger--that was how I justified eating with a stomach ache. O_o

Another big habit I'm still struggling with is to snack all night after I get home from work. I'll even eat a full meal then snack snack snack. (At least these days I usually track the calories as I snack to make sure I don't go over.) I hope someday to not eat at all unless I'm hungry.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    I was looking for a particular pair of boots under my bed through the week, and I found two separate carrier bags with chocolate bars and crisps, sweets, some uneaten, some empty wrappers, that I stashed as an emergency, cos I didn't want anyone to know about, or share. It brought back some weird emotions, not only the fact that they were there in the first place but that I was the sort of person that did that.
    I would not eat till maybe three or four in the afternoon, but boy did I make up for it. I would go to shop before I picked the kids up from school and get whatever chocolate bars were on offer - 3 for a pound or whatever - it made me feel better than spending more on them, then sit in the car and eat them. I would hide food under my bed, in my wardrobe, in the car, handbag, jacket pockets, on top of cupboards, anywhere really. I would eat huge portions of dinner and leftovers from kids plates, during the evening I would retrieve some of my stash from wherever and shut myself in the loo and ram in into my face without tasting or even enjoying it. Thats what makes me sad, when I have my meals now, I look forward to them, I enjoy them. The old me barely tasted anything, just crammed stuff in to numb whatever I was feeling at the time, I'm amazed that after 30 years of abuse (started as an early teen) that I was only 70lbs overweight, and not 200lbs.
    Its refreshing to hear others stories, I love how people can be open on here, no-one knows this in my 'real' life, it makes me feel that I am not a freak or a weirdo for doing those things, I just hope that those days are gone forever...oh, and case you were wondering, those carriers bags, I binned them:smile:
  • arosmith79
    arosmith79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What an incredible success story you have going! Keep it up
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!