To Mordor!

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Where I am now:

We reach the Great East Road and follow it east toward Bree. The Road wasn't in the best repair when Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin jogged along this way on their ponies. "It was rutted and bore many signs of the recent heavy rain; there were pools and potholes full of water."

I'm at 124.4 and may have to take a break for a day or so...my bad knee is giving me some problems. I hate to think I may need knee surgery before I'm 30.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    15.6 miles in !

"Begin to sing. Walk through a deeply cloven track between tall trees"
  • samvanz
    samvanz Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, do many people doing this journey have treadmills, bikes, ellipticals (all those kinds of machines which clock up k's) at home? I'm finding it slow going, and I"m not walking as much as I could because of awful weather here. I could also be making more time to walk, for sure. I am curious though, if many people are finding they get more done on machines.

I'm up to 35.25 miles, so I feel like I'm doing well, it's just taking me an awfully long time...
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    27.7 miles this week

total miles so far: 89.7
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, do many people doing this journey have treadmills, bikes, ellipticals (all those kinds of machines which clock up k's) at home? I'm finding it slow going, and I"m not walking as much as I could because of awful weather here. I could also be making more time to walk, for sure. I am curious though, if many people are finding they get more done on machines.

I'm up to 35.25 miles, so I feel like I'm doing well, it's just taking me an awfully long time...

I'm not sure where you're located...I live in the States and use mapmyrun.com. I stick to the same routes usually so I know my mileage off the top of my head. I rarely use a machine...I prefer to walk, run, hike...ect. If it's outside I'm happy. Sometimes I can't pull up a route because the site I use only goes off of streets or trails and not anything that is 'off road'...which is why I'm going to get an HRM that is also GPS so I can track everything I do. I also walk/run daily...so no worries if you feel like you're going slow. It takes time to build up to a higher level of endurance. I still can't run more than a mile straight without taking a short walking break. My lungs just can't handle it. Give it time.
  • ncwingnut71
    Options
    2.5 miles yesterday. Wanted to get more in, but not enough time.

"Camp in a firwood just over top of the hill. Sleep by a large tree. Fox sees them"
  • MadMoxie
    Options
    This is so freakin' neat! Is it too late for joiners? The geek in me just jumped for joy.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    It's never too late! This isn't a closed group!!

I have reached Bree, slept (and drank) at the Prancing Pony, met Strider, had my ponies stolen and left Bree... Wasn't that friendly of a town... Continuing on to Rivendell! I am 137 miles into the journey! Next major stop: Weathertop!
  • mehs04
    mehs04 Posts: 184
    Options

I've biked all my miles on the road so far. I use maps.google.com to check my mileage, but I there are usually just a couple of routes that I do which I know the mileage of, so I don't need to check them on google every time.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I hear you with the slow going; the only time I clock my "mileage" is when I walk at work--I wear a pedometer and divide my steps by 3000. I average about 3 miles per day. I really would like to bike for miles (at least the hobbits had ponies for the first hundred plus miles!) but I don't dare go without someone who knows this area and most people don't want to take a newb.

I don't know if I would do any better if I had a machine in the house to help me out. I probably would end up hanging laundry on it or something instead... :tongue:
  • ncwingnut71
    Options
    6.25 miles yesterday and 5.23 today, so I am 29 miles in!!

"Road zig-zags to top of a steep bank and goes down for the last time Can see across Woody End to the River. they stop of rest, eat, and rest more Sun was beginning to get low as they went down the hill"
  • lisaweaver3
    lisaweaver3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Dang! I'm in-how much do I need to walk to catch up? When is our deadline?
  • VelvetKey
    Options
    Hi! This is an open group; we use tickers to track our individual progress. Using the mileage found in the Eowyn Challenge (http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/), we've chosen the paths we're going to take and post here to tell where we are.

From what I've seen, most of us start from Bag End and start by going to Rivendell, which is 458 miles. From there, we can add the next segment of the trip, up until we choose to follow Frodo and Sam or Aragorn & Co. A few ambitious souls have set their tickers all the way to Mordor, which is the end goal for all of us.

We'd love to see you on the road!

Right now I'm climbing up a steep slope, with the prospect of camping in another half mile or so. I'm also keeping an open eye for spying foxes...
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ELVES arrive, RIDER leaves, and Frodo & Co. continue with Elves.

Wood more dense, and lane went lower, running in a fold of hills, with hazel on the slopes alongside. Pippin quickly becomes sleepy.

Camp - Woody End. A green floor in the wood, roofed by boughs of trees. To the east a steep shoulder falls, and they can overlook the river valley. The lights of the village of Woodhall seen below.
  • Melanie_Robinson
    Melanie_Robinson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to leave the Shire? ;)

Yes! I want to live in the Shire & vacation in Rivendell :)

Love it! {we are big LOTR's fans here! Can't wait to see the Hobbit!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    One does not simply walk into Mordor!

Unless you are Bear Grylls or Chuck Norris!
  • darrynflame
    Options
    I hit 25+ miles !!!
    So far I ...
    Climb a steep slope. Pippins yawns (Nearly midnight).

Camp - In a firwood just over top of the hill. Sleep by a large tree. Fox sees them.

Sept. 24 Day 2: 28 miles

Eat at campsite. Water from a stream at the foot of the hill. “A little fall where the water fell a few feet over an outcrop of grey stone. After 10:00 a.m. when leave.

Road rolls up and down.
  • VelvetKey
    Options
    Awesome! I just saw you go by; I am 22.2 miles down the road which is rolling up and down. :)
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I am 1.5 miles from Chetwood. It's been a long walk from Bree.
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try to head north, but lose their way and become separated. Captured by Wights. :(