Does fasted cardio burn more fat

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I would encourage you to do your own research on this. Many to most people will share their experiences and that's great! But it's just that...a nonmedical opinion. Research has suggested that there may be as much as a 6% increase in fat burning due to fasted cardio. Again, it's research in medical journals that could best answer your question.

It's not that we disagree with the research, it's that the research says nothing about overall weight loss.

For example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242477/
    In conclusion, our findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training. Hence, those seeking to lose body fat conceivably can choose to train either before or after eating based on preference

I understand. It does, in most cases, boil down to personal preference and I stress "preference." I enjoy fasted cardio on longer runs because I do get a natural little high that I enjoy but I also tend to think it is doing something good for my body because my mind and body are both usually very happy after fasted runs. It's enlightening for me. I'm usually happier when I run this way as opposed to non- fasted runs. Overall I believe it's a benefit but it boils down to the word "believe."
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've personally never been able to handle fasted cardio very well. I usually have to at least have a snack or something before a morning workout. Otherwise, my energy plummets and I feel a little tired and just ready for it to be over. So, I guess in that sense, non fasted cardio probably burns more for me simply because I have more energy to channel into the workout.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I would encourage you to do your own research on this. Many to most people will share their experiences and that's great! But it's just that...a nonmedical opinion. Research has suggested that there may be as much as a 6% increase in fat burning due to fasted cardio. Again, it's research in medical journals that could best answer your question.

It's not that we disagree with the research, it's that the research says nothing about overall weight loss.

In conclusion, our findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training. Hence, those seeking to lose body fat conceivably can choose to train either before or after eating based on preference

"The research" you linked is one study of 20 females - I wouldn't call that definitive. I posted one up thread that is a meta analysis but everyone seems to be ignoring that.
    I mean the OP asked if walking fasted (moderate exercise) would burn more fat than fed and the answer to that question is yes. I don't know why everyone is twisting themselves in knots to try to disprove it.
    Whether that has a significant impact on overall results is another matter. I think someone up thread posted that they walked fasted for months and gained weight. I have done moderate fasted cardio most mornings for the last 6-8 weeks and have lost 13 lbs. Both are anecdotes that don't really tell us anything. I also gave up alcohol, added sugar and bread so that is probably more relevant to my weight loss than fasted/not fasted cardio. Maybe if I had done cardio in the evenings I would have lost 12.75 lbs, who knows. I do it fasted in the mornings because that is what I prefer.
  • 33gail33
    edited January 2021
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »

"The research" you linked is one study of 20 females - I wouldn't call that definitive. I posted one up thread that is a meta analysis but everyone seems to be ignoring that.
    I mean the OP asked if walking fasted (moderate exercise) would burn more fat than fed and the answer to that question is yes. I don't know why everyone is twisting themselves in knots to try to disprove it.
    Whether that has a significant impact on overall results is another matter. I think someone up thread posted that they walked fasted for months and gained weight. I have done moderate fasted cardio most mornings for the last 6-8 weeks and have lost 13 lbs. Both are anecdotes that don't really tell us anything. I also gave up alcohol, added sugar and bread so that is probably more relevant to my weight loss than fasted/not fasted cardio. Maybe if I had done cardio in the evenings I would have lost 12.75 lbs, who knows. I do it fasted in the mornings because that is what I prefer.

The OP is trying to lose a significant amount of weight, he is concerned with his overall loss of fat and getting lost in the weeds of trying to manipulate fuel sources for a short walk is spectacularly unhelpful to him. It's a complete distraction.
    He is not an athlete doing 4hr exercise stints trying to improve endurance. Context matters.

I didn't see any context in his post - just a simple question. Which I tried to help him answer with the facts that I was aware of.

From my view proceeding to interpret those facts for himwould be somewhat infantilizing as I assume he can read the information and interpret and use it in relation to his own goals.

But if that type of response is not welcome here then consider me suitably admonished, I will refrain from responding in future.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

The OP is trying to lose a significant amount of weight, he is concerned with his overall loss of fat and getting lost in the weeds of trying to manipulate fuel sources for a short walk is spectacularly unhelpful to him. It's a complete distraction.
    He is not an athlete doing 4hr exercise stints trying to improve endurance. Context matters.

I didn't see any context in his post - just a simple question. Which I tried to help him answer with the facts that I was aware of.

From my view proceeding to interpret those facts for himwould be somewhat infantilizing as I assume he can read the information and interpret and use it in relation to his own goals.

But if that type of response is not welcome here then consider me suitably admonished, I will refrain from responding in future.

If you look at the OP's recent posting history the context will be very apparent.
  • 33gail33
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I have literally never read another post by the OP and was just trying to contribute what I know to the discussion. Honestly I am bored here in quarantine and thought maybe these forum discussions might be interesting to get back into. Apparently not.
    As I said I will refrain from posting. I don’t have the time or inclination to research the post history of every OP. 😊
    Have a lovely Sunday all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That was me...and it does tell us something. It tells us that I have been in a calorie surplus for most of 2020 and put on 20 Lbs despite walking most mornings early in a fasted state...and you have been in a calorie deficit.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I think this is a fair point -- you answered the very technical point of the question, the rest of us are actually assuming the question was more like -- "will I lose weight faster doing fasted cardio."

Exactly this, and (like you) I strongly believe the assumption was correct.

People get confused about burning fat during exercise being somehow better for weight loss, but it's not, has nothing to do with it. I've actually had people warn me that running or exercising too vigorously hinders weight loss vs walking, because your heart rate gets outside the fat burning zone, which is another such misunderstanding.

I suspect for OP, the relevant question is if he would burn more cals walking fasted vs not, and probably not. He might even burn fewer if he walked less time or slower because he wanted to eat or didn't feel as strong. (I don't think that's a major risk if he just had a specific goal to walk a certain distance or some such, but if he's just getting active again and finds himself getting tired by the end of the walk, it would be something to consider.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have literally never read another post by the OP and was just trying to contribute what I know to the discussion. Honestly I am bored here in quarantine and thought maybe these forum discussions might be interesting to get back into. Apparently not.
    As I said I will refrain from posting. I don’t have the time or inclination to research the post history of every OP. 😊
    Have a lovely Sunday all.

And on a different OP where several of us had not helped with similar questions - we'd be in the same boat and the info could indeed be very useful with no context given - so keep it coming.

I was alluding to the same fact of what occurs during the exercise, with when it is a specific help.
    Because people do hear things they think are useful in all cases - so pointing out the actual use case can be helpful.
    Like some see the commercials and read very little and think they need to drink a big chocolate milk after their workout - no matter what that workout may be. Search the topics - they are there in the past.
    And they may really prefer to have that calorie room for something better, because that drink really isn't needed for their workout.

But that info in some hands may not lead to much except disappointment, thinking more should have happened.
    At least that's the good thing on these minor nuances - not too much harm is going to come from it - merely wasted time and focus on things that really don't matter in the big picture. At least not yet.
  • 33gail33
    edited January 2021
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That was me...and it does tell us something. It tells us that I have been in a calorie surplus for most of 2020 and put on 20 Lbs despite walking most mornings early in a fasted state...and you have been in a calorie deficit.

To clarify I meant that “it doesn’t tell us anything” about fasted vs. not fasted cardio - as that was the context of the discussion. But I think you knew that and are just being purposely condescending now. You guys really don’t like new people around here do you? 😆
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm in a calorie deficit and I walk 45mins most mornings in a fasted state op here.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    I'm in a calorie deficit and I walk 45mins most mornings in a fasted state op here.

How is your weight loss going?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options

Inevitably it is eating at a deficit over time that will create weight loss. With that being said, I like fasted cardio. I will usually prefer a fasted run to any other one. Big fat however, if I were to run fasted and come home and overeat then no matter how great the run was the fasted cardio wouldn't have made a difference and would have been done in vain.

Also and most importantly if you enjoy doing cardio fasted as opposed to not doing cardio in a fasted state, then ultimately, that is what matters most!
    I run/walk fasted each day (90 minutes) and then resistance train for about 30 minutes (one body part). I like training fasted because I don't worry about getting nauseous or feel like throwing up since I have no food in my stomach. Also, I don't feel hungry directly afterwards and can wait another few hours before eating.

And yes there is good medical science to show that you may burn a higher percentage of fat for fuel in moderate to low cardio exercise, but if someone trained higher intensity for the same duration, they'd likely burn more overall fat calories in total.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, OP if you don't know it, you burn more fat calories overall at REST than any exercise regimen you do. It's actually part of your BMR. If you're NOT getting enough sleep, this can be impeded.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png