Does everyone log their food?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jpiper1921
    jpiper1921 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Why would MFP members not log their food? Why be on MFP if you didn't use the power of logging food... I'm missing something.

I hear and understand all the good retorts about my question "Why would MFP members not log their food?". I concur with and learned other reasons for being an MFP member from some of the posts. Salute!
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I find logging is a pain but seriously helps because I can see where I am struggling to get my nutritional needs and where I go overboard. I then tweek my diet.
  • davidebarton
    davidebarton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i always log because its too easy to underestimate how many calories are in foods. today for example we had gnochi with a small amount of cheese some lardons and stir fried veg with a pesto sauce. per portion i worked it out at 900 calories! for tea we had vegetable soup! i find logging as i go essential as i can compensate for heavier meals with a lighter food. I have also made sure that i dont have too few calories - i dont want to undereat and shutdown my metabolism or burn muscle when my body goes into starvation mode. for a long time i have just been kidding myself that i had an average diet with the odd treat. in fact i was over eating widly. its only since counting and doing regular cycle commuting that I have seen the weight come off, at about 1 pound per week over the last five weeks.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I dont logg my food on MFP for the simple reason that most of the food I eat are not available in the database. (I live in Sweden)
    I still count every calorie and find support in the message boards exchanging ideas and tips, and getting support.
  • fronc
    fronc Posts: 41
    Options
    I don't know if I'm a bit of an exception to the norm but I don't really log anything. I did in the beginning to get an idea of the calorie count, but now I guesstimate everything and focus more on portion sizes. As in little plates filled mostly with veggies (+ some lean protein + some good carbs).

I know this totally doesn't work for some people and they need to be very focussed on calorie counting, but I find this works just fine for me, and I'm generally losing about 2pounds a week :)

Hope this helps!
  • ssanderbrink
    ssanderbrink Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even if Im having a bad day. Make no difference. I know it has helped me to lose and also not to go way over board on a bad day. Like others here I sometime prelog if I know we are going out. Helps me to stay on track. MFP has been a huge help to me. I like reading the success stories also, encourages me to keep going.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I log all of my food, and calorie containing beverages. I dont log any diet pop, because ya know what? I dont eat butter, i dont eat cheese, I dont eat dressing on my salad, I dont eat a lot of very unhealthy things, and if I want a carbonated beverage with artificial sugar, then Im gonna have it, and noone will ever tell me different
  • wickedkitty
    wickedkitty Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried to lose weight without logging my food and found that I under-estimate the calories that I am actually putting in my mouth. I also thought I was eating alot less than I actually was. I have found that logging keeps me accountable and paying more attention to serving size. I have tried weight watchers in the past and was sucessful, but carrying around a huge binder to keep track and journal everything was difficult and eventually I just gave up. Now in the day of smart phones it is easier to log and journal because my phone is ALWAYS with me. I love the free mobile ap for MFP ebcause my phone is less cumbersome than a giant binder. I also like how this sight keeps track of everything from calories to fat to sodium etc. because in the long run this will help us all eat more balanced and healthy meals. Don't feel as though you are obsessing, to be sucessful we have to be mindful of these things until we are confident enough to do it on our own. All this takes a bit of practice and we should use the tools available to us in order to reach our goals.
  • wickedkitty
    Options
    MFP has a place to add foods to the database if you can't find them.
  • wickedkitty
    Options
    I dont logg my food on MFP for the simple reason that most of the food I eat are not available in the database. (I live in Sweden)
    I still count every calorie and find support in the message boards exchanging ideas and tips, and getting support.

MFP has a place to log food in the database if you can't find them.
  • wickedkitty
    Options
    i always log because its too easy to underestimate how many calories are in foods. today for example we had gnochi with a small amount of cheese some lardons and stir fried veg with a pesto sauce. per portion i worked it out at 900 calories! for tea we had vegetable soup! i find logging as i go essential as i can compensate for heavier meals with a lighter food. I have also made sure that i dont have too few calories - i dont want to undereat and shutdown my metabolism or burn muscle when my body goes into starvation mode. for a long time i have just been kidding myself that i had an average diet with the odd treat. in fact i was over eating widly. its only since counting and doing regular cycle commuting that I have seen the weight come off, at about 1 pound per week over the last five weeks.

This sounds just like me! I was doing the same thing and logging has helped me a ton vs. trying to guess. Guessing obviously didn't work because I have alot of weight to lose.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If not logging works for you ... GREAT! For me logging has made me aware of the poor food choices I was making when I thought that I was making good ones. THAT has been invaluable to me :)

Good luck :)
  • Jayney10
    Options
    I have been logging into this site for 90 days and I have logged my food/exercise for 87 of those. I have lost 25lb in the 90 days i been a MFP member and have lost 39lbs total. I find logging keeps me on the straight and narrow, keeps me in control, helps focus me and I am sure that it is due to this that the weightloss has been as easy as it has been for me. I am so pleased i was told about this site by a friend because it has been a fantastic tool for my weightloss journey, I recommend this site to everyone and definately recommend logging. Good luck :0)
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    It's not so much eating the wrong foods for me, but too much of them. That's why I need to log - actually seeing the calories add up (even if they are healthy ones) is necessary for me. I just joined this past week, so I can't document a success yet, but I know that I definitely didn't have success NOT logging before (although some seem to be able to make that work).
  • Krystle0615
    Options
    Logging every single thing I've been eating has really helped to keep me on track. This is like a game, to have some new progress to report every day and to see the good choices I've been making. Also- the food tracker gives you actual calories. Some things that you think may be healthy could be full of fat and carbs and empty calories so if I were you, I would use it!
  • smagner
    smagner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that logging helps keep me accountable. I never used to count snacks because they weren't a meal, but a serving of cheddar bites from sonic definitely should be counted!
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    I log. I know if I don't log I will cheat. I will guesstimate my calories and I'm sure I'll go over. It helps me not eat as much, also.

If I put it in my mouth it gets logged. Sometimes I don't want to go through the hassle of logging those 3 chips. So, I don't eat them.

I've been logging on MFP for 6 days and have lost 2 lbs with no exercise.

i agree. i will cheat if i don't log, plus i have been at it for so long i feel like i'm missing something if i don't log..
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!