For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot
    I remove any thick pith then slice into strips and simmer in water, let cool slightly and drain and rinse (the water is super bitter, so I haven’t figured out a way to use it). If I want them to be sweet and don’t care about losing a little more color, I’ll repeat this step, if I want the color and some tartness/ light bitterness I’ll do either 1:1 sugar and water or 1:2 sugar and water (semi hard vs gel set) and bring to a boil until it has a nice thickness, let cool slightly and use a slotted spoon to lift peels to dry on parchment or a rack. ( the simple syrup left over makes an AMAZING addition to cocktails!!) sorry it’s not more precise. I got a candy thermometer and a bag of citric acid for Xmas so I’ll be experimenting with those soon!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,217 Member
    Options
    [@MinTheKitCat

No need for precision. I think I got it. Only question is the ratio; I think I am reading on part water to 1-2 parts sugar, with more sugar making the result more firm.

I was wondering about the pith since it's bitter, and I can't imagine being able to get it all off, so I presume some stays on. The leftover syrup might make a mighty fine Old Fashioned, and I wonder if you slowly evaporate off the water from the first boil if you'd end up with orange bitters.
  • MinTheKitCat
    Options
    @mtaratoot yes - the higher sugar and a higher boil temp make for a more firm candy (or at least that has been my results). Sometimes I like a little bitterness (it reminds me of a fruity sweet version of Sichuan peppers?) but if I have a small batch, I’ll use a serrated pairing knife on the back of a peel to remove pith and it’s fairly fast work. If I know I can make the candys within a day or two
    I cheat and use a veggie peeler to take the zest of the fruits before I eat them, this means most of the pith stays on the fruit and leaves me a pretty thin strip.
    THAT IS AN AMAZING IDEA ABOUT ORANGE BITTERS!!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and thought it was great. Works well with SE Asian food. Piercing the red onion through with bamboo skewers before slicing helps hold them together on the grill pan.
    http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/grilled-pineapple-red-onion-salad/
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I’m loving this citrus love ❤️ 💕 I peel and eat all my citrus in segments like a clementine or tangerine unless I’m cooking with it. Also love candying citrus peel- especially lemon, lime, and grapefruit - SUCH a treat!!!!

@MinTheKitCat - you just reminded me of a wonderful memory! - Walking next to the Château Royal d’Amboise- came across a little pâtisserie with the most beautiful citrus confections! I wanted to dive right into this bowl of candied clementines! I took this 2 years ago....

lqgapjjc60va.jpeg

6 euro for 100 grams??? Omg that is outrageous.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »
    I’m loving this citrus love ❤️ 💕 I peel and eat all my citrus in segments like a clementine or tangerine unless I’m cooking with it. Also love candying citrus peel- especially lemon, lime, and grapefruit - SUCH a treat!!!!

@MinTheKitCat - you just reminded me of a wonderful memory! - Walking next to the Château Royal d’Amboise- came across a little pâtisserie with the most beautiful citrus confections! I wanted to dive right into this bowl of candied clementines! I took this 2 years ago....

lqgapjjc60va.jpeg

Yeeahhh @gigius72 about 1 small Clementine .. lol
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »

lqgapjjc60va.jpeg

Yeeahhh @gigius72 about 1 small Clementine .. lol

Wow. That comes 60 euro per kilo or for American it would be 90 dollars per pound.
  • MinTheKitCat
    Options
    $9 per candied clementine? I just found my new career!! Lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    A regular clementine IME is about 45 g, so 6 E for 100 grams (or about 3 E or less for one or like $7 for 2) which seems nuts but they are super pretty and maybe super tasty (haven't tried the candied ones), and I personally see no objection to high cal, sugary, luxury items being expensive.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    🍊 I think the reason whole glacés are more expensive is because they take 2 weeks or more of intermittent boiling and saturating to cure. (Fresher glacé are heavier and more dense.) liquid sugar bombs!

My $.02 .... ps ... I’ve had this photo on my camera for over a year and I never really paid attn to the price. 😬 But these aren’t the most expensive ones Ive seen either. That said ... maybe a glacé factory is good business! @MinTheKitCat 😉😉😉
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    What is your favourite thing to do with parsnips? Hubby came back with a large bag on sale. I normally roast with olive oil when I am doing a classic roast dinner or cote de boef but need some other meal and prep ideas to use them up.
  • MinTheKitCat
    Options
    Baked Rosemary parsnip fries are amazing!!
    I’m also a sucker for a nice mash. NYT cooking has a lot of nice recipes for parsnip soup, latke, gratings, and even one or two desserts. (The parsnip sheet cake with cream cheese icing is delicious!)
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    What is your favourite thing to do with parsnips? Hubby came back with a large bag on sale. I normally roast with olive oil when I am doing a classic roast dinner or cote de boef but need some other meal and prep ideas to use them up.

Hey @acpgee !

I recently tried these parsnip recipes and they were tasty!

Roasted parsnip soup-
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-parsnip-soup-with-walnut-pesto?intcid=inline_amp

root vegetable tarte tatin
    (I did a flax crust and only used parsnips, rutabega, carrots and yam)

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/root-vegetable-tarte-tatin?intcid=inline_amp
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    I’m also a sucker for a nice mash. NYT cooking has a lot of nice recipes for parsnip soup, latke, gratings, and even one or two desserts. (The parsnip sheet cake with cream cheese icing is delicious!)

Parsnip sheet cake!!? 😯 must check out!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Those are more interesting than me. I like to just roast parsnips with other root vegetables, tossed in olive oil with some salt and pepper. I also like them in stew.
  • MinTheKitCat
    Options

Parsnip sheet cake!!? 😯 must check out!

It is so lovely! Like a very mild spice cake with just the tiny whisper of crunch. It also freezes like a dream

I’m gonna have to check out the parsnip soup with walnut pesto - that sounds right up my alley, lol
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Hey @acpgee !

I recently tried these parsnip recipes and they were tasty!

Roasted parsnip soup-
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-parsnip-soup-with-walnut-pesto?intcid=inline_amp

root vegetable tarte tatin
    (I did a flax crust and only used parsnips, rutabega, carrots and yam)

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/root-vegetable-tarte-tatin?intcid=inline_amp

When i hit the link, correct page opens up but goes blank within couple of seconds. Anyone else having same problem? How to fix it?