Lent

Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I gave up legalism for lent years ago. Haven't touched it since and much happier and more content for it. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up social media. I think this year I am giving up reading my iPad during breakfast instead of talking to my family.

For me personally, the goal during Lent is learning that you can do without things so you appreciate them more, and can make a meaningful choice about what to spend your limited time and resources on.

Agree with this, and would also add giving up things you use as a crutch, so that you realize it's not available and fill the space in a more spiritual way. Or things that are positive but are possibly being over relied on.

I like doing something like this and also/sometimes a more traditional practice where just the absence reminds you to think about why you are doing it. Social media would be a good one for me, for sure. Certainly giving up Twitter and reading books on the L again would be a good thing.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So a relative of mine said instead of giving up something they will add something instead.
    So I think I will walk every day and add more steps to it every day. Relative said also you can have a reading goal, an activity or hobby.
  • SoapLady65
    SoapLady65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am focusing on being my best self and listening to my conscience!
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm a devout atheist, but I was listening to a podcast yesterday and the host stated that instead of giving up something, he would try to be nicer. I kind of like the idea to use this time to be better.
  • chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I’m not a religious or spiritual person but enjoy the challenge, if you will, of giving something up during Lent. But I really like the ideas of adding something to my routine that will be a challenge. I also like the idea of limiting my time on Facebook (I trade and swap my workshifts in a work group on Facebook so giving it up entirely wouldn’t be possible) but I could limit my time on it. I’ll think about it some more; please keep the ideas coming.

I did the same and gave up Facebook for lent last year and continued to not use FB. Replaced it with Instagram however so I will give that up for lent this year. I’m putting my mobile phone down as well, using it for phone calls/texts, Strava gps, Personal Training Coach app, and use my computer for the rest. It’s only for 40 days so we’ll see how it goes.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Lent 2021 will begin on
    Wednesday, February 17

and ends on
    Saturday, April 3

While I am no longer Catholic, I like to do something for Lent as a means of self improvement and to feel closer to my Grandma, who was devout.

One year I successfully gave up excessive amounts of salt, and that habit stuck. Another year I ate more fish, and that habit did not stick, but I may give that another go this year, as I want to eat more Mediterranean style anyway.

Anyone have plans for Lent 2021?

@lemurcat2 ?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I plan to do the same thing I've been doing for quite a few years now:

1) pescetarian (mostly ovo-lacto vegetarian) for Mon-Thurs & Sat, with vegan Fridays
    2) aim to keep meals simple, especially on Fridays
    3) set a strict food budget well below my normal spending (which reinforces #2), and give the difference to charity, usually food pantry-type charities.

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I prefer to add things like a daily reflection, a Bible study class, daily prayer, or watch something like “Greatest Lent Ever” from Dynamic Catholic.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    One year I gave up FB for Lent and it was surprising what a difference it made in my life. But later that same year we had a terrible forest fire summer and it was much easier to access the government's comunity updates on FB than on their website. So I fell back into the dark pit 😭. Another year I gave up dairy (a true sacrifice because I love both cheese and yoghurt). Not sure what I'll do this year but thank you for the reminder. Now I have time to give it some thought.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I’m giving up alcohol and adding a Lenten devotional (Blessed is She). Not sure what else.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lent 2021 will begin on
    Wednesday, February 17

and ends on
    Saturday, April 3

While I am no longer Catholic, I like to do something for Lent as a means of self improvement and to feel closer to my Grandma, who was devout.

One year I successfully gave up excessive amounts of salt, and that habit stuck. Another year I ate more fish, and that habit did not stick, but I may give that another go this year, as I want to eat more Mediterranean style anyway.

Anyone have plans for Lent 2021?

@lemurcat2 ?

Don't know yet -- I usually go vegetarian or (lately) 100% plant-based, but I don't think that will work for me this year. I like to do something food related since I'm traditional that way, but I also like to do something that's not, and may focus more on that (I don't do FB, but definitely should quit Twitter!). Will be giving it more thought.

I've also been doing Blessed Is She, gradchica, did the devotional for Advent, so may for Lent too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    A good exercise that I read about was pick a gospel and read the gospel and footnotes that go along with it. This would obviously be a study Bible...
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am a confirmed anti-theist and I wont be giving up a darn thing.
    However, I will be maintaining my commitment to my calorie control.
    For the religious on here.
    Enjoy your lent.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    So touching, bold_rabbit. I hope you have year-round peace now. :flowerforyou:

This organization has many resources for Lent. https://www.ssje.org/
    If you participate in the one they are leading for Lent, they send daily meditations and there is a forum/comment board where folk share their reflections on the daily meditation. ETA: The insights of commenters have sometimes functioned as a springboard taking me deeper into my own reflection.

In addition, if you scroll down on this page https://www.ssje.org/monasticwisdom/, there are several other programs with workbooks that were done in Lent prior years. They can be done anytime, obviously, but they fit in the Lent framework. Honestly, I find everything the brother produce to be incredibly thoughtfully done and their insights to be quite profound and uplifting. Cannot recommend enough.