Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

When people comment on your weight loss....

It is nice when people notice but maybe its just me but when people say.. "wow you look so different" , etc. I have to admit a part of me thinks how bad did i look before? Lol

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member
    I have to agree....I find when I meet people that didn't know me prior that is the best because they have no clue I lost weight so nothing is said
  • duxlady
    duxlady Posts: 18 Member
    I actually feel like speakeasy- I am a little uncomfortable. I feel a little self conscious when people make a lot of comments all the time. While I did want to lose to look better, my main focus was health and strength.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 1,281 Member
    I have always felt a bit uncomfortable with "compliments" on weight loss. Yes, @msapplek -- it is weird to ask how much, and depending on how close the friendship is, I would back off from responding with a number. If it is a friend who also struggles with weight, maybe I will say "around "X" amount of pounds." To someone else-- "Enough to feel healthier and more energetic- thanks!!"
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 2,550 Member
    mk, when your family makes unwelcome criticisms, does it help to respond with an objective benchmark like BMI?

Lately I have received a couple "concerned" comments about DH weight loss behind his back. When I relayed to him, he responded that his BMI is middle of the fairway "normal." I did the math, and he's actually closer to overweight than underweight. When I tell family members he's technically closer to overweight than underweight (without mentioning actual numbers), they back off. The people who expressed concern have gained weight FWIW. I sometimes wonder if the "concern" expressed is a projection of concern for self. Anyhoo....

Ironically, my BMI is lower but it has been that way so long no one ever expresses concern. I think it's just the relative change that people react to. I'm sure your look is seriously different -- in a seriously great way!