Warning: TMI

I miss my BMs. I used to eat roughly 3500 calories a day—at LEAST half of which was fast food. And I work in an office setting with no real physical activity. Under these conditions I would have 1-2 productive BMs a day.

Now I’m averaging 1600 calories a day and getting a little walking in everyday. I have much less productive BMs maybe every 36-48 hours.

It might sound strange, but I miss the satisfaction of the way it used to be. Not that I would go back to that, but I still miss it. Anyone else?!

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Haha. Definitely tmi but yes that used to be a very satisfying feeling. ☺️
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2021
    I eat around 1500 calories a day, 500 of them are usually 2 big bowls of raisin bran before bed. My morning BM's are pretty good and the best part is less wiping then with fast food.

Also, for some reason i feel this thread is going to be a guys only thread.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    what are you eating? you have to get enough fiber to make things work regularly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    How many grams of fiber and fat are you eating per day, and how much water are you drinking?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2021
    What are you eating? I eat a plant based diet therefore lots of fiber, and I poop at least once a day... fiber is only in plant foods so if your diet consists of a lot of meat and dairy that could explain why your BM's aren't very regular
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Why a guys only thread? Us li'l ol' ladies talk about this stuff, too. 😆

Ummm. . .. s'cuse me, but just in case you can't tell, I'm a GIRLIE cat in a swimming cap. :-)

I'd never argue otherwise, because you should know! 😉 I said that because of this, up-thread:

I eat around 1500 calories a day, 500 of them are usually 2 big bowls of raisin bran before bed. My morning BM's are pretty good and the best part is less wiping then with fast food.

Also, for some reason i feel this thread is going to be a guys only thread.

Me, I'm all for wide participation, except maybe threads about true differences in the plumbing inside men and women . . . and even then, I'd support input from (say) male gynecologists or female urologists, when it comes to the *specialized* body parts. 🤷‍♀️
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I am female and went through this for months, despite meeting MFP's fiber requirements. I added a daily probiotic and it helped. You might consider trying one if the if the addition of fiber, fat and fluids is still not working for you.
    Just think it might be a stage we all go through as our body slows down processes and tries to extract as much nutrition as possible from our food when we are in a caloric deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I use to have a male roommate and a female roommate, and she was horrified when he and I talked about bowel movements.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I miss my BMs. I used to eat roughly 3500 calories a day—at LEAST half of which was fast food. And I work in an office setting with no real physical activity. Under these conditions I would have 1-2 productive BMs a day.

Now I’m averaging 1600 calories a day and getting a little walking in everyday. I have much less productive BMs maybe every 36-48 hours.

It might sound strange, but I miss the satisfaction of the way it used to be. Not that I would go back to that, but I still miss it. Anyone else?!
    What's your eating program? If it's low carb and/or keto, that would explain a lot since FIBER is not a big part of either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

To add to this. If the OP was getting at least half their calories from fast food there was most likely a bucket sized glass of soft drink included with each fast food meal. Has that fluid intake been replaced?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Over half of 3500 calories daily from fast food and "satisfying" BMs? Guess the person leaving residue up the inner walls of the toilet bowl at the office has been identified.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Try Metimucil or something like that. Easy way to get more fiber.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I don't eat fast food often and have at least 3 BM's a day - my husbands thinks it strange I have to go so much LOL. Of course, everyone is different, whats normal for one person, wont be for the next...

OP its possibly more the inactivity causing the issue rather than the kind of food you're eating.
  • thehumanpickle
    thehumanpickle Posts: 42 Member
    I notice this primarily when I have super low carb days. So long as I have some form/combination of coffee, yogurt, Wasa crispbread, veggies, things go... rather smoothly. It's a delicate balance, I've just about got it down to a science. If not, Benefiber and a TALLLLL glass of water usually fixes things up within 24 hours. B)