Do you take supplements with your eating plan or do you get all your nutrition from the food you eat

Options

Replies

• Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I take fish oil daily, and a psyllium husk fiber supplement that my doc told me to use.
    I get lots of Vit D from walking outdoors every day and my last labs didn't show any deficiencies so I am not taking a multivitamin right now, but I would if I thought I needed to.

Psyllium husk fiber is that to increase the fiber in your diet, lord knows I dont get enough fiber in my diet. Is it a pill or powder you make into a drink.
    Thanks for your reply and have a great weekend.

Yes, it is to increase fiber. The one I take is the powder - Metamucil - it is in a sachet that you mix with water and tastes quite pleasant of orange.
    You have a great weekend too :)
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I try to get my nutrients from food, but since I’m pescatarian I take fish oil and a multi women’s when I remember (maybe 3-4 times per week on average) with Covid and winter I’ve also been taking Biotin, B, & D.

As a pescatarian as I understand it you have a lot of veggies and fish which are a good source of vitamins and minerals. I had a friend in calif who was very fit and healthy following your style of eating.
    Thanks for replying to my post and have a great weekend and stay warm if your somewhere cold. It's freezing where I am.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Also an older woman (55): I take B12 (have been deficient in the past) Niacinamide (history of skin cancer), now since the pandemic I am taking Vit D, C, Quercetin, Zinc and Magnesium.
    Since I have had skin cancer and avoid the sun I will probably continue on with the Vit D indefinitely. Post menopause so I don't need iron. B12 deficiency is very common as we age, regardless of diet, we lose the ability to absorb it well.
    (Right now I am also taking Curcumin and an anti-oxidant supplement because of inflammation from a long term illness - but that is specific to my needs right now not something that I normally take when I am healthy.)
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Magnesium for headaches, vit c and d.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I take an Omega-3 with vitamin D, tumeric curcumin, digestive enzyme and ashwagandha and theanine. I take those supplements because I either probably don't get enough for nutrition and in winter I need more Vitamin D,or for specific purposes.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I notice a lot of people are taking fish oil what's it good for excuse my ignorance . I know when I was a little girl my mom gave us cod liver oil for strong bones and she said to keep us from getting sick. But I sure this is probably not the same thing.
    Thanks for answering the post. And have a great weekend just curious.

It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which has many supposed health benefits
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, which is probably expensive pee but I figure why not, an Omega-3/vit D pill, and I drink an Ultimate Replenisher with every workout, which contains magnesium, calcium, potassium, chloride and a small amount of sodium.

I chose Ultimate Replenisher from the gazillion products out there based on the reduced sodium and the fact it has zero calories. Tastes pretty good, too.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I take D3 and a collagen/msm supplement daily, selenium 3-4x wk and sometimes vitC. D3 because my blood tests show I'm low, collagen because I had tendonitis and thought it might aid recovery, selenium for immune system. I usually eat enough fruits and veg that my vit c levels should be fine, but if I feel a little off...I take it. If I haven't eaten well, I'll take 1/2 a multi just to help cover the bases.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

I notice a lot of people are taking fish oil what's it good for excuse my ignorance . I know when I was a little girl my mom gave us cod liver oil for strong bones and she said to keep us from getting sick. But I sure this is probably not the same thing.
    Thanks for answering the post. And have a great weekend just curious.

It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which has many supposed health benefits

Thank you have a great weekend.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I take calcium and vitamin D as I have severe deficiencies and calcium is apparently leeching out my bones and teeth, doctor advised I try not to fall over 🙄
    I take iron and folic acid due to deficiencies
    I have b12 injections on a regular schedule as I'm unable to absorb orally

I take a double dose of multivitamin as per doctors instruction

I take biotin due to hair loss and omega 3,6,9

I'm 38 and been falling apart for years 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I take calcium and vitamin D as I have severe deficiencies and calcium is apparently leeching out my bones and teeth, doctor advised I try not to fall over 🙄
    I take iron and folic acid due to deficiencies
    I have b12 injections on a regular schedule as I'm unable to absorb orally

I take a double dose of multivitamin as per doctors instruction

I take biotin due to hair loss and omega 3,6,9

I'm 38 and been falling apart for years 🤦🏻‍♀️

does the biotin work my hairdresser told me to take a combination of biotin & saw palmetto for hair loss I haven't tried yet. Never heard anybody other than her. I have been waiting until I see if the hair grease works first but its messy.
    Thank you

• mpkpbk2015
    Options
    sorauren wrote: »
    Magnesium for headaches, vit c and d.

Thanks didn't know magnesium was good for headache.Love I learn something new everyday. Have a nice weekend. Thanks for your reply.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Also an older woman (55): I take B12 (have been deficient in the past) Niacinamide (history of skin cancer), now since the pandemic I am taking Vit D, C, Quercetin, Zinc and Magnesium.
    Since I have had skin cancer and avoid the sun I will probably continue on with the Vit D indefinitely. Post menopause so I don't need iron. B12 deficiency is very common as we age, regardless of diet, we lose the ability to absorb it well.
    (Right now I am also taking Curcumin and an anti-oxidant supplement because of inflammation from a long term illness - but that is specific to my needs right now not something that I normally take when I am healthy.)

Thank you so much for your reply I need to look into B12 , I am an older woman too 66. Have a great weekend.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I take fish oil daily, and a psyllium husk fiber supplement that my doc told me to use.
    I get lots of Vit D from walking outdoors everyday and my last labs didn't show any deficiencies so I am not taking a multivitamin right now, but I would if I thought I needed to.

Psyllium husk fiber is that to increase the fiber in your diet, lord knows I dont get enough fiber in my diet. Is it a pill or powder you make into a drink.
    Thanks for your reply and have a great weekend.

Yes, it is to increase fiber. The one I take is the powder - Metamucil - it is in a sachet that you mix with water and tastes quite pleasant of orange.
    You have a great weekend too :)

As soon as it warms up I will get some. I have been told over and over by my dr and dietician I need more fiber so if it tastes like orange and I can drinks problem solved. Thank you so much. :p:p
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, iron because I'm anemic, plus glucosamine-chondroitin and tart cherry extract for arthritis.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,588 Member
    Options
    I take a kid's multivitamin, vitamin d (my blood test showed I was in the normal range but I wasn't healing well enough so my oral surgeon suggested I try it), biotin, vitamin c, and k-2 because it doesn't take much to make me bleed (not sure that one's helping).
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I take B vitamins because my doctor advised me to (also been having issues with my ulnar nerve for ages, my only real option is surgery tbh, due to "moderate damage", but I'm putting it off unless really necessary) and I took iron for a while due to heavy and very long periods... atm I take a multivitamin every few days, but not daily
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Omega 3s, Astaxanthin (it's what makes krill oil red and is amazing for you -- there's been well over 300 studies on it), a full spectrum methyl B and K2, I have a terrible right knee, so in addition to the Omega 3 and Astaxanthin, I sometimes take turmeric and tart cherry for keeping inflammation down. Although I don't take every day, I take some mushroom supplements as well.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I occasionally enter all my meals for the day in https://cronometer.com/ to see what I'm generally getting from my food. This gives you a nice breakdown of vitamins and minerals and shows you were you are deficient.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I try to meal prep one vegetarian dish each week to rotate in my lunches. On those days I may supplement with protein powder if I'm low for the day.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I occasionally enter all my meals for the day in https://cronometer.com/ to see what I'm generally getting from my food. This gives you a nice breakdown of vitamins and minerals and shows you were you are deficient.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I try to meal prep one vegetarian dish each week to rotate in my lunches. On those days I may supplement with protein powder if I'm low for the day.

Wow what a cool link - what a resource thank you so much for sharing. I am going to start using it. And Happy Valentines day. Have a wonderful day. I never seem to get enough protein so I have 1 to 2 protein drinks a day since they say women should have about 56 grams . Again thank you so much.