I'm looking for a tribe - motivation to lose 100 pounds

Hey all, I'm nervous to put myself out here, but I'm looking for something I've never had before on previous attempts to lose - community.

I've been on and off diets forever, but mostly I've kept to myself about it. I'd share my successes with my family, tell them when I'd lost ten pounds or whatever, but never when I'd fallen off or when I was struggling. I've learned that keeping those struggles quiet has made it easier to fail, to cave to cravings or feelings of hopelessness because of slow progress.

This time I'm looking for some people who are invested in my journey and who I don't want to disappoint. To that end, I'm going to commit myself to posting a status every day on here. Probably usually short, just grading myself on the day or posting whatever is on my mind. But I'd love a group of people who will give me encouragement or tough love when I need it, and I'd really like to hear about others stories and struggles.

So would anyone want to be friends? And if anyone wants to be message buddies that would be fantastic.

A little about me: in the past I've lost 30-35 pounds, which was nice. Then I started an amazing relationship (we're both foodies, and happy people eat together). That and the Corona-dough put me at my highest weight ever. I put myself over 300 again, but I want to see my weight start with a 1 - something I haven't seen in like at least 10 years... I say at least because I honestly don't remember.

Anyone want to swap stories?

Replies

• jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 477 Member
    Hi feel free to add me! I was on here a few years ago and lost 50 lbs in a year. Then I got side tracked with needing to move. I gained all of the weight back and more. The quarantine sure didn’t help. This time I started at just under 260 lbs. I can’t remember how to post a message that isn’t in community. If anyone could help I’d appreciate it. But I would surely read your messages and respond. One day at a time!
  • Skinslover61
    Skinslover61 Posts: 6 Member
    Feel free to friend me; on the same type of journey
  • richc19
    richc19 Posts: 1 Member
    Happy to join I feel I need a bit of support myself. Prior to the pandemic I had been losing weight steadily and had reached 88kg however spending most of the year indoors/loss of motivation/emotional eating... I have now reached my heaviest at 99kg. I was doing my journey alone before hopefully connecting with people will help :)
  • MissNicolioli
    MissNicolioli Posts: 34 Member
    I’m not a great online friend since I never update my status or anything, but I wanted to wish you well! I was 272 when I started, and it took me about a year to lose 125 lbs. Been within 5 lbs of that for more than three years now.

If you can get your partner onboard it can make a huge difference! I had a come to Jesus meeting with my husband when I started and he agreed not to eat in front of me when I wasn’t eating, not to ask for restaurant food instead of home cooked meals, not to complain when I needed to work out, and to keep his stock of junk in a separate cabinet where I don’t need to see it. Since I had just been very sick in the hospital with a brand new diabetes diagnosis he was more than willing to do whatever it took to help me. You are lucky in that you have the chance to turn things around before you have a chronic illness!

Although he started off just supporting me, my husband ended up taking up running with me, and as a side effect lost 30 lbs of his own. We also gained a new hobby to share that wasn’t eating!

You can do this! Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the support! My partner is also very supportive. I know he would do anything I needed him to do to keep me on track. He's interested in losing with me but not as serious as I am yet (he has less to lose than me though). Still, he's been very good to me.

Congrats on your loss!
  • MissNicolioli
    Hey @nicolefaas5031 - congratulations on starting your journey towards better health! I'd love to be accountability buddies who cheer each other on and talk through struggles.

I'm a late 20s single woman in San Francisco and have always struggled with my weight. Over the past year and a half I have gained 60 pounds which left me at my highest weight of 253.5. Over the past month and a half I have been going on daily walks, doing Barre3 online classes, and counting calories (1800 cals) and have lost 20 pounds so far. I'm hoping to lose 100 ultimately, which I know will be a long road. My focus has been on creating a sustainable lifestyle and I work hard to make sure if I want some cheez-its, I eat them!! I just weigh them out and make a conscious decision of eating a certain amount. I'm also trying to create a healthier relationship with alcohol after years of binge drinking consecutive days. 🙃 Some days I struggle with working out, but I try to remind myself how much more my depression has been under control since I started walking and getting more vitamin D!

I look forward to talking to you more! We're going to crush this thing!

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I feel you on the drinking, my partner and I love having a drink or two (or three) when we're hanging out in the evenings. I'm going to try and limit that to once a week.

I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with you!
  • MissNicolioli
    Hi feel free to add me! I was on here a few years ago and lost 50 lbs in a year. Then I got side tracked with needing to move. I gained all of the weight back and more. The quarantine sure didn’t help. This time I started at just under 260 lbs. I can’t remember how to post a message that isn’t in community. If anyone could help I’d appreciate it. But I would surely read your messages and respond. One day at a time!
    Feel free to friend me; on the same type of journey
    richc19 wrote: »
    Happy to join I feel I need a bit of support myself. Prior to the pandemic I had been losing weight steadily and had reached 88kg however spending most of the year indoors/loss of motivation/emotional eating... I have now reached my heaviest at 99kg. I was doing my journey alone before hopefully connecting with people will help :)

Added! Thanks for wanting to be part of my group of losers!
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Add me too! My hubby loves to bring me treats. Ive gently had him stop as.my jeans dont fit. Add that to two major surgerie in a year and im a wee bit fluffier than I care for:)
  • MissNicolioli
    Add me too! My hubby loves to bring me treats. Ive gently had him stop as.my jeans dont fit. Add that to two major surgerie in a year and im a wee bit fluffier than I care for:)

We are sweet fiends. The urge to go buy a ton of clearance valentine's day candy was real haha.
    Yesterday my boyfriend got a thick amazing slice of chocolate cake while we were out. I managed to limit myself to 4 bites of his slice as my treat. I was pretty proud of that restraint. 🙂
  • Recinos0507
    Recinos0507 Posts: 28 Member
    Join me in I would love to have another buddy to help me in this journey to get healthy and be a better me.
  • DonnasWay0805
    DonnasWay0805 Posts: 37 Member
    Feel free to add me.. I'm 56 and have maintained a 90 lb loss. It's daily committed tracking.. every day won't be perfect, but you do have to have more good days than bad. Keeping it simple is the key to sustainable weight loss. Make the calories count with good nutrition because it makes a difference in how you feel and that's important❤️
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Sign me up for this! I could use some support! My husband and son try to be supportive but they are both so skinny and have such sweet tooth’s it’s difficult finding a balance!
  • donnas1995
    donnas1995 Posts: 11 Member
    I would also like to join. I am 68 years old and have dropped 11 lbs since November. I started at 265 now at 254.
    I have been eating well, measuring portions and walking 5 to 6 times a week. With all the snow we have int he Northeast I'm also snowshoeing. Would enjoy being part of a supportive community.
  • dew11252
    dew11252 Posts: 88 Member
    I'm in. I'm 67, weigh 280, highest was 320. I have health issues that would improve with diet and exercise (2 bad words:). I need knee replacements but want to lose at least 50 more lbs and gain lots of strength.

Got a good start today, did some exercises and had two healthy meals then jumped off the wagon with a bag of chips and alcohol.

Just looking for a supportive group.
  • MissNicolioli
    dew11252 wrote: »
    I'm in. I'm 67, weigh 280, highest was 320. I have health issues that would improve with diet and exercise (2 bad words:). I need knee replacements but want to lose at least 50 more lbs and gain lots of strength.

Got a good start today, did some exercises and had two healthy meals then jumped off the wagon with a bag of chips and alcohol.

Just looking for a supportive group.

I know those days. Sometimes it feels like every day is a struggle. This time around I'm finding it helpful to write. I'm going to be using the status updates heavily to improve my mindfulness about my eating and my goals. I'd love to be pals.
  • aquitteriamnot
    aquitteriamnot Posts: 78 Member
    I need to lose 100+ pounds. I lost over 100 pounds years ago, but gained it back and then some. I’ve used MFP in the past, but not the community. So you can add me and we can support each other and get through each day with endurance.
  • I'm right with Ya! My goal is to see a 1 at the start of the number on the scale! Covid lockdowns werent kind to my already heavy body and I was right there at 297! I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis has started showing its ugly head... I NEED this! I want to be able to get down on the floor without it hurting!! I'd love to have a tribe with the same goals ❤
  • MissNicolioli
    I'm right with Ya! My goal is to see a 1 at the start of the number on the scale! Covid lockdowns werent kind to my already heavy body and I was right there at 297! I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis has started showing its ugly head... I NEED this! I want to be able to get down on the floor without it hurting!! I'd love to have a tribe with the same goals ❤

Onederland is my long term goal too! We've got this!
  • Count me in! I'm 39 and 4'11 I started MFP at 248 and now I'm at 217. Looking to lose about 100lbs to get to a healthy BMI. My other buddies and I check in on Fridays. We message just to report our highs and lows and goals. Its been a really great source of motivation and inspiration.