What diet plan are you following or Using with MFP - Is it working for you

What diet plan or program are you using with MFP e.g . Paleo, Keto, Slim Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Nutri System, South Beach, One given by your doctor/dietician - Have you used it the entire time or have you changed plans/programs and how is it working for you. What do you like about it. Would you give it a 5 star review.

Replies

• mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    I started with Weight watchers, but wasn't happy with the way the point system worked. So I just eat whatever, whenever staying in my calorie goal. I do try to keep 70-80% of my calories protien/fats based and limit carbs to 20-30%.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I lost my weight with the 5:2 eating pattern eating the foods I enjoy in a sensible weekly deficit.
    Logged my food and made sure I hit a sensible protein goal.

Maintained long term without food logging but being mindful of my calorie, protein and carb needs as a high volume exerciser (fat looks after itself). If I hit my upper weight limit I nibble off calories in a fairly erratic way to make it as easy as possible including a slow overall rate of loss.

What I eat hasn't really changed as that wasn't the problem as my diet has always been good, just needed to adjust the quantity.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    I’m following a version of a 5:2 diet. The restricted days are high protein, low carb, low calorie. It’s quite doable and effective so far.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    HelenWater wrote: »
    I’m following a version of a 5:2 diet. The restricted days are high protein, low carb, low calorie. It’s quite doable and effective so far.

Is the 5:2 diet on MFP a couple of people have mentioned it and I have never heard of it. I like doable and I already do high protein because it has help me lose when I keep my protein to carb ratio higher on the protein side. thanks
  • mpkpbk2015
    sijomial wrote: »
    I lost my weight with the 5:2 eating pattern eating the foods I enjoy in a sensible weekly deficit.

Maintained long term without food logging but being mindful of my calorie, protein and carb needs as a high volume exerciser (fat looks after itself). If I hit my upper weight limit I nibble off calories in a fairly erratic way to make it as easy as possible including a slow overall rate of loss.

What I eat hasn't really changed as that wasn't the problem as my diet has always been good, just needed to adjust the quantity.

Thanks for the insight so is it 5 proteins to 2 carbs in this pattern?
  • mpkpbk2015
    mgookin wrote: »
    I started with Weight watchers, but wasn't happy with the way the point system worked. So I just eat whatever, whenever staying in my calorie goal. I do try to keep 70-80% of my calories protien/fats based and limit carbs to 20-30%.

Hey I used to be a lifetime member of WW until they started their point system then I walked away it never made any sense to me. Glad I not the only one. Thanks for your reply. Have a great day.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Similar to @Lietchi I hit my numbers and keep an eye on protein but other than that I eat what I fancy.

Thank you for your reply and insight. I watch my proteins and carbs too. Haven't found any real system out there to follow.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Lietchi wrote: »
    No plan here. I started out eating the way I always ate, but in different portions and (after logging awhile, being better aware of which foods are more and less calories dense) different proportions and slightly different foods choices. With time I started to focus a bit on my macros (increasing my protein to minimum 100gr per day). But globally I still eat quite similarly to before.

I eat however much MFP and my synced tracker tell me.

Works great for me, down 55 lbs so far (since August 2019).

Congrats on being down 55 , I reached goal today of 100 after being on since May of 2018. And I practice portion control. I found a new tool over the weekend the weekly digest to help me make sure I am getting my macro right and evaluate if I am hitting my targets for protein, carbs etc.
  • mpkpbk2015
    glassyo wrote: »
    I started off on Weight Watchers but when I moved to counting calories...that was the plan. Log my foods, wear/sync my fitbit, eat whatever the heck I want but stay within my calorie goal.

10/10. Would recommend. :)

I was a lifetime member of WW until they started the points system then it got wacky to me. So I left and went on to counting calories watching proteins and carbs. Haven't found a plan. I practice portion control and exercise a lot and drink tons of water. Thanks for sharing appreciate your insights.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Just basic CICO here with 70 lb/32kg gone since May 2020.

I log everything at MFP faithfully - with scant exceptions around the holidays where I stopped logging foods after 2800 cals on a few feast-y days.

I set my MFP calories at 1000 - knowing I will generally overshoot that by 200-300. The 1000 is just a mental thing that helps me plan my meals. So my 'real' goal is 1200 calories... but there is usually a day or two each week where I eat 1300-1500. I take two meals between 10am-6pm, eating nothing after dinner except plain hot tea. Most days I exercise at least 30 minutes on the rebounder (mini-trampoline).

With only 1200-1300 daily calories, I choose nutritious, flavourful, filling foods. I rarely feel hungry or deprived. Nothing is off the menu and I make room in my calorie budget for candy and desserts when the mood hits me.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I didn't follow any kind of "plan" other than eating less of what I already ate.

I think it depends on personality...some people like being told, "eat this...don't eat that". I don't like rules, I don't like being told anything is "forbidden", and I like flexibility in what I eat.

Plus, you have to anticipate a transition to maintenance. If you're following a "plan" just while loosing weight, what's going to happen when you stop? You have to be prepared to make changes you can live with for the rest of your life.

I've been maintaining my weight for several years, and I still eat less than I did when I was overweight. But, I don't feel deprived because I'm still eating what I want to eat, and how I like to eat. I'm just mindful of the portions.
  • karinkane2
    karinkane2 Posts: 6 Member
    Basically Meditteranean & intermittent fasting. No sugar, no refined carbs (bread, pasta, crackers, etc). Lots of olive oil and avocados, vegetables, greens, lentils, quinoa, etc. I haven't been focused on calories, but have noticed that I typically end up with about 50-60% of each day's calories coming from fat, maybe 20-30% protein, the rest carbohydrate. I lost 10 lbs in about a month. Rarely feel hungry or deprived.

Tracking really helps though. I stopped for a few weeks and suddenly it was a lot easier to sneak in a cookie or many, big bowls of popcorn, lots and lots of cheese, etc. When I make myself track those things they seem a lot less tasty!
  • sijomial
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

No it's eating at maintenance calories five days a week and two days with a very restricted calorie intake (roughly one quarter of maintenance level). Made switching to maintenance very easy as that level felt entirely normal.
    But it doesn't suit many people and there's some groups of people best advised not to do it.
    Overall more of a niche method which suits a few and could be hateful for many.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

No - 5:2 is 2 days of very low calorie and 5 days at maintenance. Back in the day this was called zig-zagging your calories. You can break up your calorie deficit however you want.

Macros will matter in that you want to stay full longer. Protein (IMO) for any calorie restriction should be looked upon as a minimum. Always get your protein in.

Here's a group - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-life-in-the-fast-lane

Mosely is a publicist (sells lots of diet books) ......so don't take the "documentary" too seriously.
  • sijomial
    TeaBea wrote: »

No - 5:2 is 2 days of very low calorie and 5 days at maintenance. Back in the day this was called zig-zagging your calories. You can break up your calorie deficit however you want.

Macros will matter in that you want to stay full longer. Protein (IMO) for any calorie restriction should be looked upon as a minimum. Always get your protein in.

Here's a group - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-life-in-the-fast-lane

Mosely is a publicist (sells lots of diet books) ......so don't take the "documentary" too seriously.

Agree with the bolded, his book is full of references to studies but when you check the studies they are often taken out of context or significance is exaggerated.
    Form an opinion and then look for data to support that opinion rather than examine data to form an opinion....
    I just view 5:2 as one of many ways to manage your calories.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    I’m following a 5:2 plan that is basically maintenance on the Mediterranean diet 5 days, and two days in a row cutting carbs to 50g/ day and calories to 1,000/day. The diet is put together by a nutritionist and a cancer researcher. For me I think it will make it easier to transition to maintaining my weight loss over the long term.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2019/feb/why-the-2-day-diet-works.html
  • Same as many. I follow just a calorie deficit and aim for the smallest deficit so that it’s easy to maintain.
    I aim for higher protein and with that it seems I tend to fall in a higher protein/ carb group then fat, I don’t pay attention to fat or carbs though- it just happens to be where I fall with the foods I choose and enjoy.