Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What exercise/program defines BORING for you?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    The ultimate boring exercise is swimming laps, something I did for hrs a day in my youth.
    It wins the grand prize because of the extreme sensory deprivation, no sound or TV to distract.

I agree! I am surprised how many people find treadmill or elliptical boring. I could stay on there all day with my tablet, phone. I do work, shop online, watch movies, read forums, read books, etc
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Treadmill. I've tried but I much prefer running outside. What weird is that I don't mind exercise bikes which mimic cycling (which I also prefer to do outside). I just feel like a mouse on a wheel or something when I am on a treadmill.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Weights at the gym.
    I do light weights while watching tv.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,943 Member
    The ultimate boring exercise is swimming laps, something I did for hrs a day in my youth.
    It wins the grand prize because of the extreme sensory deprivation, no sound or TV to distract.

This used to be me. "OOOO! Look! It's a black line!" Finish lap. Turn. "OOOO! Look! It's a black line!"

I knew it was a good way to wrap up a workout or as a stand alone workout. But boy howdy was it boring.

Then something happened. I have no idea why. That black line started to be my friend. That sensory deprivation was awesome. I swim with a dive mask and snorkel usually. Long story. And I'm a diver, so that's how I typically interact with water. It's actually very nice that when I put my face underwater and don't take it back out for an hour... it's just me and my friend the line. I'm looking forward to my gym opening back up. I bet it will be difficult to get a reservation for the pool, and that's how they are going to do it for the foreseeable future; sign up for your hour, and that's all you get. So sad. But it's the right thing to do. It's been almost a whole year since I've been to the gym. I never thought I would say I miss the gym, but I do.

To me, boring is walking on a treadmill. So boring a screen is almost a requirement. Running on a treadmill is only slightly less boring, but only because it's finished sooner. Some stretching is pretty boring, but yoga is kind of the opposite because part of the goal is mental focus on very small things. Ergometer is pretty boring, too, but it's full body and doesn't take too long.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

This used to be me. "OOOO! Look! It's a black line!" Finish lap. Turn. "OOOO! Look! It's a black line!"

I knew it was a good way to wrap up a workout or as a stand alone workout. But boy howdy was it boring.

Then something happened. I have no idea why. That black line started to be my friend. That sensory deprivation was awesome. I swim with a dive mask and snorkel usually. Long story. And I'm a diver, so that's how I typically interact with water. It's actually very nice that when I put my face underwater and don't take it back out for an hour... it's just me and my friend the line. I'm looking forward to my gym opening back up. I bet it will be difficult to get a reservation for the pool, and that's how they are going to do it for the foreseeable future; sign up for your hour, and that's all you get. So sad. But it's the right thing to do. It's been almost a whole year since I've been to the gym. I never thought I would say I miss the gym, but I do.

To me, boring is walking on a treadmill. So boring a screen is almost a requirement. Running on a treadmill is only slightly less boring, but only because it's finished sooner. Some stretching is pretty boring, but yoga is kind of the opposite because part of the goal is mental focus on very small things. Ergometer is pretty boring, too, but it's full body and doesn't take too long.
    I'm not really big on stretching, but as of late because I want my kicks higher like when I was younger I've been working on them again. So I started doing Hyperbolic stretching program and because of the aggressive intensity of it, the "boring" sense of it is gone right now. I'm sure that once I can almost do the splits again (hopefully), it will go back to boring.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    The only steady state cardio i enjoy is swimming or indoor rowing. Can’t swim much now (shoulder injury) but when I used to do a few miles I had an under water MP3 player 😀 it was awesome, could just zone out to music and get the distance in. Ahhh I miss swimming.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Anything in my house, specifically those living room type workouts
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited February 2021

Just wondering how is it boring when you can be on your phone, listen to music, podcasts, watch movies/tv/news, browse MFP, get research or other reading done, etc?
  • shawnfxp
    shawnfxp Posts: 39 Member
    It's weird, but I can do the treadmill just fine. Put me on a stationary bike and I lose my mind. Not sure why but the bikes absolutely repel me me.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member

Yes! I forgot about lane swimming. I have a pool and I’d rather do flutter kicking and treading/jogging so I can listen to music.

When I swim laps it feels like it’s been 1/2 hour when it’s only been 4 minutes.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Gym cardio is boring (elliptical, bike, treadmill). Lifting = not boring.

BUT now that I haven’t been in a gym in over a year, I am actually enjoying the spin bike & Peleton app I bought. Spin type classes were the epitome of “nope, never, no way” for me before, and I still don’t think I’d like an actual class, but I am shocked at how much I like it at home.

I think it’s bc I can’t think while I do it—which is what I like about lifting. Lifting I put my music on and I’m counting sets and reps and writing down my #s and watching form and breathing, so I can’t let my mind wander into anxiety or “I should be doing xyz” territory. On the bike it’s similar—I’m listening for cues, watching my cadence, etc. I have to pay attention to what I’m doing right now.
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    I love dance classes but hate ones where the instructor doesn't have rhythm. It kills me to be to be off beat and not be able to do anything about it.

I also hate stationary bikes, treadmills, and ellipticals.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Stationary bicycling and weight lifting. I hate them both.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    nooshi713 wrote: »

I am just curious for those who find it boring. Do you ever read at night or browse the internet or watch movies or tv? Or watch the news? Do you find those things boring too?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member

I am just curious for those who find it boring. Do you ever read at night or browse the internet or watch movies or tv? Or watch the news? Do you find those things boring too?

I love reading, browsing the web, and watching sports. I love a lot of activities, but those two are not the ones I like.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member

Is your implication is that I should watch TV while lifting, in order to not find it boring? Nope. That's how I get hurt by not having enough mental bandwidth tuned into form.

If that's not the implication: It's pretty normal human behavior to find some things boring and other things interesting, and for those things to vary among individuals, isn't it?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,943 Member

Just wondering how is it boring when you can be on your phone, listen to music, podcasts, watch movies/tv/news, browse MFP, get research or other reading done, etc?

If it's SO BORING that I have to do something else so I don't bash my head into the wall out of boredom.... it's boring. Yes, I can maybe find a distraction. The treadmills at my gym let me watch really interesting videos of people doing sick and silly things on snow, mountain bikes, or whatever. If I'm going to read, I'll be too involved in my reading to bother with keeping up my pace. I am very fortunate to have found my little zen while swimming.

Oh. Yeah. I sweat. The library doesn't like it when I sweat all over the books we all own collectively.

I don't "play" on my phone. I can plug in earphones and listen to music, but if I listen to a podscast or NPR news, it distracts from what I'm doing. So, yeah.... boring.

I used to find moving heavy things around kind of boring. But now (well, not lately; haven't been in a while; I hear there's something going around), I can get REALLY focused on making sure I have good form and pay attention to the big and small muscles. I also have another part of my weight workout that keep it from being boring, but it's not my favorite thing to do. I like hiking. So much to see all around. I like paddling or rowing boats on whitewater. You really BETTER be focused. So focused that the entire universe only exists within 200 meters. Not boring. Ergometer? Kind of boring. Bike to nowhere? Can be. Dreadmill? Yes.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Another one for indoor cardio!
  • Noreenmarie1234

I love reading, browsing the web, and watching sports. I love a lot of activities, but those two are not the ones I like.

Ahh so I guess I do find it boring thats why I do things I find not boring while doing it LOL.