WOW!!! I am soooo mad at myself!!

Options
13»

Replies

• gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE that salad - the lunch version is "only" 620 cals, so if you ever have a craving for it maybe that is more manageable?
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I went to Applebees with my family from out of state and looked up the nutrition info before we left ...they do have a 500 under calorie menu..the steak and potato salad is under 400 calories and VERY GOOD!!..Dont dwell ..just look forward...:)
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. One day of high cals won't hurt in the long scheme of things.

This!
    It never even occurs to me to check out restaurant menu choices on line before I go out, not that I go out for dinner much.
  • Ldyonamission
    Options
    Don't fret please, I have done the samething but what I do now is I go online find the restaurants menu and see what I will possibly order and then i plug it into my journal to see what the cause and the effect will be on my caloric intake for that day. :-) its trail and error I have been doing this thing for quite some time. My starting weight was 278 pounds and now I tetter between 204 and 208.

I had gotten down in March 201 to 194, but my oldest child got married in May and so diet and discretion went out the window,. LOL So i'm refocused and back at it once again. Remember if you've over eaten drink plenty water to flush the salt intake and then don't deprive yourself find some fruit which is a health snake or take a 1 mile walk to compensate for some of that which you've eaten. An then just tell yourself "Oh well that was my reward for doing so well for the past weeks". In the end its all good smile you will be just fine.

Lady
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Applebees also has a "under 550" calorie section, too. Just for future reference.

Yeah that's what I hit up when we go out to eat. And there is some pretty good food. It's right on the menu what's 550 and under.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    applebee's in new york have calories listed in the menu. also, you can request a half an order. dressing on the side too.
  • u04kmm5
    u04kmm5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, thats annoying!
    I actually dread having to eat out these days because even the healthy options are unhealthy! Plus I have ALWAYS preferred my own cooking to going out for food (even before dieting!)

-that's not to say that I am a great cook! It's just I can have fussy tastes
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As people have said, Applebee's has a pretty extensive "under 550 calories" menu, which is really cool for us trackers, but a good way to look at those options being on a menu is to immediately assume that everything else is probably way higher in calories! Sorry about the calorie-shock! Those dressing are killers!!!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Have you got a smartphone? If so, you can use the MFP app and check calories BEFORE you eat them

Even if you don't have a smart phone, ask your server to see a copy of their nutrition information. Most of the major chain restaurants keep a copy printed out, you just need to ask for it. I've done it at quite a few places. Sure, I get a weird look when I ask, but I don't care. I've worked hard to get where I am.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I've been there too - not with a salad, but still. I ordered a vegetarian burrito, thinking I was doing pretty good but did not realize that it was 1700 calories!! That was my first week, and I've made a lot of progress since then when it comes to making food choices.

How to not let this happen again:

+ Pre-plan your meal. If you know that you're going out for lunch/dinner, then take a few minutes to check out the nutrition facts either on the restaurant's website or here in the database.

+ If you choose a salad, skip the cheese and put the dressing on the side. You can get the dressing flavor without as many calories by just dipping your fork in the dressing, then stabbing some greens. Alternatively, you can get salads without dressing at all. I do this. At first, it was weird eating plain lettuce, but now I look forward to it. There's a lot of subtle flavor in a good salad that you miss when you smother it in dressing.

+ If the protein on the salad is fried, skip it and get something else. If you have any doubts about whether a protein is covered in butter or anything else, either confirm with the kitchen or just skip it. Personally, I just save myself the trouble and leave it off.

+ If you don't have time to pre-plan, find the restaurant's fit/diet/under-500 menu and order from there. Sure, it may not have exactly what you want to eat, but it's better than getting home and being shocked by a 1500 calorie meal.

+ Don't be afraid to box it up. You can order the box when you order your food. Split the food so that you don't see it on your plate. Out of sight, out of mind. Plus, you get two meals for the price of one!